Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

sandpat 05-20-2011 05:05 AM

Well darn! If I ever make it there again I will most definitely call you! We've been through there twice, but I didn't quilt at that time so never looked.

Those traffic games would probably make me a little nervous now. Since we've lived here (9 yrs.) I drive about 20 mph on these little crookedy roads and just putt along. We have a "rush hour" here when the local plant lets out...I think there are 20 cars...:roll:..I rarely drive when we go to Memphis..DH is a great chauffeur!

JudyG 05-20-2011 07:06 AM

Know what you mean about the traffic. Since we moved out to the boonies (been about 11 years) I even hate going to Vancouver WA and Portland OR to see my kids. I hate driving in the traffic. And Phoenix - forget about it - we try never to have to go there when we're in Wickenburg for the winter. Although I keep hearing about a huge fabulous fabric store down that way and know I need to go there at least once. Maybe next winter.

Cre8tvlwyr 05-20-2011 07:31 AM

okey doke....

I'm still catching up going back & forth from pg 47 :shock: man you ladies "chat" a lot!! [was gonna say yak but I thought someone might lose a few tail feathers.....]

three things b4 I pickup my grandson & take a 2yr old to "Gus n me"...
1 - Jacquie - did you take part in the Yurt Quilt in your area??

2 - about those dryer sheets to clean irons... I found a page with lots of hints like that - too much time to search now - but if someone reminds me - you will all love it!!

3 - about preparing points for machine applique - have never tried it - but as a daughter of an amazing dressmaker [God bless her - miss mom! :cry: ]
I wonder if you could sew a dart to a sharp point [wrong sides together] and then turn so seam is down & press?? you may have to take a few tacking stitches by hand at the point to make it site right but may be worth a try.
I'm needle turning - but will also try sometime

Monica

Mousie 05-20-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
okey doke....

I'm still catching up going back & forth from pg 47 :shock: man you ladies "chat" a lot!! [was gonna say yak but I thought someone might lose a few tail feathers.....]

three things b4 I pickup my grandson & take a 2yr old to "Gus n me"...
1 - Jacquie - did you take part in the Yurt Quilt in your area??

2 - about those dryer sheets to clean irons... I found a page with lots of hints like that - too much time to search now - but if someone reminds me - you will all love it!!

3 - about preparing points for machine applique - have never tried it - but as a daughter of an amazing dressmaker [God bless her - miss mom! :cry: ]
I wonder if you could sew a dart to a sharp point [wrong sides together] and then turn so seam is down & press?? you may have to take a few tacking stitches by hand at the point to make it site right but may be worth a try.
I'm needle turning - but will also try sometime

Monica

I'm trying to work out this darts thing in my head. I have sewn many a garment and in theory it sounds very interesting/possible.
They're such tiny pieces, but after sewing the point, you could trim right up, as much as you need, and then press the piece into submission.
I'm going to have to experiment a little, but I bought some Applique Fiber, so if that is 'good for me'...I'll probably just keep going. I like 'easy'.
So glad you brought this up though! hmmm, you've got my gears going.

candi 05-20-2011 07:43 AM

Oh Kathy what yummy stuff you bought. I see many in your loot that I may have got for myself. :lol:

I am one who loves Albuquerque, with it's bad traffic, noise, dust, heat and all...I miss living there dearly...I so miss looking up and using Sandia Peak to help me realize which direction I am heading (living in a flat state, it is hard to know which way is which, gotta rely on the ocean,lol,much harder to spot than a mountain :mrgreen: ), I also miss our drives out of the city with no destination in mind, just driving and stopping where ever looks interesting, we found some gems I tell ya! Love Albuquerque, and love the state of NM in general.

Unfortunately, when we lived there I didn't quilt, so know nothing about these gems Kathy is referring to, lol, must go back to check the quilt shops at least, huh?

sandpat 05-20-2011 04:41 PM

Hmmmm....I can't tell ya' a thing about darts. I've don't sew garments, so I just can't figure that one out.

Candi..I loved Alb. too when we visited there..I just don't have a lot of traffic around here, so I just not used to it anymore. I'd have to get used to it again. Its a great city though and love Sandia!!

Fabric Galore 05-20-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr

oooo....correction - just went to CT - they cant seem to be able to decide whether to keep Mirage "coal" on there or not... I just ordered Mirage coal and indigo - enough for background and border for each 4.5yd @ 2.96/yd woohoo!! [as our friendly family owls would say...gotta get their pictures up!] I will decide which I'm using when it gets here next week :lol:

I originally ordered Mirage coal for my background but then I decided to go with the 10" blocks and I ended up with a black background. You really got a bargain on the prices. I just got an order today from CT so I can finish my DGS quilt. I bought lime and blue bird solids. I am making his quilt out of his old T-shirts. I have to hurry, so I can start AOTH on time.

d.rickman 05-20-2011 08:31 PM

Just popping in for a minute - need to ask a question.

Sometime ago, I think it may have been Kathy or Lesley that posted a picture of a lady sitting at her sewing machine working on her AFOTH wall hanging, and also a pic of her finished wall hanging - which she rec'd first prize for - I was looking for the thread but to no avail.

Can anyone help me find this information.

Thanking you in advance cheers, Donna

QuiltswithConvicts 05-20-2011 08:47 PM

Donna, Here is the link to that quilt. (It's on page 14 of this thread.) This lady is in the Albuquerque area. She has an ad for the Bernina Shop I love to spend $$$ in. They are also an HandiQuilter dealer & that's where I test drove the Avante 18.

http://www.cherylquilts.com/affairs_of_the_heart.htm

d.rickman 05-21-2011 02:32 AM

Thanks Kathy for that information.