Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

quiltwoman 03-12-2011 01:44 PM

I started this project in 2008 and it is still unfinished. I hope to pop in and see how everyone is doing!

Butterflyspain 03-12-2011 01:47 PM

Why donīt you join us Quiltwoman and finish that UFO, think its more fun to do it with like minded people.

Elle

candi 03-12-2011 03:37 PM

Phew..so much to catch up on here, you ladies are having way too much fun :mrgreen:

Judy, love your block.
Elle, it is great to hear the good news from Japan...what a tragedy for the country and its people.
LindaAnn...hope you are in good spirits about your operation.

So now I need to study bobbin work and the thread types mentioned here..still thinking about specific colors, but chocolate brown and golden yellow are the runner ups for background.

I rented a longarm for the day yesterday and got three quilts quilted :shock:, it was awesome and so much fun! One quilt was 102" square, the second was a 80" square and the third about 50 by 54 or so, it took me less than 7 hours to quilt them all with all over free hand designs!!! I was so excited! Now I just need to trim and bind, will be a while, but I am determined to not start anything major until these are done done!
I have a couple of small projects that I want to tackle and then I'll be all focused on the AOTH...sometime in May I imagine.

I am enjoying reading about all the experiments and ideas, I need to start taking notes. :mrgreen: :P

Butterflyspain 03-12-2011 03:44 PM

Wow that was some quilting you got done. 7 hours and what a good idea to rent them, No such luck here.

Looking forward to seeing your chosen fabrics.

Lacelady 03-12-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Wow that was some quilting you got done. 7 hours and what a good idea to rent them, No such luck here.

Looking forward to seeing your chosen fabrics.

S'funny, isn't it Elle - I think I could rent a machine for a day - the only trouble is that it's in West Cork - about 6 hours drive from here! That would be with the lady who has the Gammil dealership. So glad I have Sweetie.

Lacelady 03-12-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr

Originally Posted by jacquie

Originally Posted by djbs
That sounds nice, will you follow the colors in the book, or change to fit your colors?

it's going to be a beautiful quilt, and a nice change in the way we usually piece!

Ok - so I guess I have to say what colors I'm using now already?? I dont know, just enjoying the diversion of the new book in my collection
:mrgreen: I do have a :?: question... what do you mean by a change in piecing?? am I missing something :oops: do I have to read everything... :cry: :( :lol:
Not that I'm illiterate, but so many UFOs so much housework and cooking to be done [rats!!!] and so little time... :-P

No, you don't have to make decisions yet - but we are happy to hear your musings on the subject! I too am mystified about the piecing? There are various ways though, of achieving the applique, from a few variations on methods of hand applique, to alternatives for machine applique. There is still time to try several, and practice your chosen method before starting in earnest.

Fabric Galore 03-12-2011 04:49 PM

I would love to rent a long arm for the day. My nearest long arm dealer is in Winter Haven; about a 45 minute drive. I need to call her and see if she rents longarms.

sandpat 03-12-2011 06:30 PM

Our LQS about 20 min. from me said she was going to start renting out her HQ. I'm thinking that it would spoil me so bad that I'd be afraid I'd have to buy one for myself. Hmmm...duh...think that might be the idea???? LOL!

Cre8tvlwyr 03-12-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Phew..

I rented a longarm for the day yesterday and got three quilts quilted :shock:, it was awesome and so much fun! One quilt was 102" square, the second was a 80" square and the third about 50 by 54 or so, it took me less than 7 hours to quilt them all with all over free hand designs!!! I was so excited! Now I just need to trim and bind, will be a while, but I am determined to not start anything major until these are done done!

:mrgreen: :P

WOW!! so you can rent longarms?? How very cool that would be.... maybe I should look into doing that out here - I'd love to be able to finish some tops but refuse to pay what quilters ask [not that it isnt worth it!!! just the cash isnt there... and besides I like to say I did it myself :thumbup:

QuiltswithConvicts 03-12-2011 06:58 PM

Cre8, I think what was meant was that it;s a break from piecing to do some applique every now & then.

There was a lady on TV who invented a techniqe called "pliecelique" where she pieced (set in) every applique piece instead of applying the patch on top of another piece of fabric. It was interesting to watch how she glued the the seam allowances down, cut out the back fabric layer & then stitched arounf the patch on the fold line. I don't think I have the patience to do that! :-) I love machine applique, but don't do enough of it. This quilt will give me plenty of places to machine my brains out!