Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

sandpat 04-13-2011 05:01 AM

I don't know if its Amish or not..probably not and I've also heard that they are shipping lots of their quilts to China to be quilted. This is Called "Sylvia's sampler"..wonder if it has some tie to Elm Creek novels? I do think the border treatment is interesting though. I love to see other ideas on how people treat the quilt. Weird that some of the blocks are exact AOTH blocks though.

Lacelady 04-13-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Below is a link to what is called Amish Quilts. It's quite nice - but if you click on the arrow on the right side of screen once, a quilt comes up that I seriuosly question as to being Amish. It appears to be a take on our beloved AOTH, with some simplification. However, the Amish don't applique - at all. They consider it to be wasteful, putting one layer of fabric over another layer of fabric.

That said, the quilt is pretty & interesting. It's set in a garden maze setting.

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/PHP/Wow.php?r=5&c=6

The quilt is at the top on the right. Click on the picture of the quilt & you will get a larger view of it.

I saw one called Heart of Roses on that link, and it was definitely applique, but it said that it was quilted by an Amish woman. Couldn't see anything like AOTH though.

Lacelady 04-13-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
I rather like the shapes used in the border.

I found it, and yes, I like the border too - It feels reminiscent of AOTH, but also far enough away from the original to be OK, I would have thought, from the copyright point of view. I think it's probably like the other applique one, i.e. quilted by an Amish woman. (not necessarily appliqued by one??)

Ducky 04-13-2011 06:36 AM

Gorgeous quilt. I do love the border and sashing.

Mousie 04-13-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Below is a link to what is called Amish Quilts. It's quite nice - but if you click on the arrow on the right side of screen once, a quilt comes up that I seriuosly question as to being Amish. It appears to be a take on our beloved AOTH, with some simplification. However, the Amish don't applique - at all. They consider it to be wasteful, putting one layer of fabric over another layer of fabric.

That said, the quilt is pretty & interesting. It's set in a garden maze setting.

The quilt is at the top on the right. Click on the picture of the quilt & you will get a larger view of it.

I saw one called Heart of Roses on that link, and it was definitely applique, but it said that it was quilted by an Amish woman. Couldn't see anything like AOTH though.

There is a book for that quilt...ask me how I know, lol.
Is this thread strictly for information?
If so,...point me to the "fun/conversational" thread. I don't want to get my stuff in the wrong places.
I'm a talking mousie...and I can't help it, but I will be very busy soon. ;-)

Lacelady 04-13-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie

Originally Posted by Lacelady

There is a book for that quilt...ask me how I know, lol.
Is this thread strictly for information?
If so,...point me to the "fun/conversational" thread. I don't want to get my stuff in the wrong places.
I'm a talking mousie...and I can't help it, but I will be very busy soon. ;-)

As far as I am concerned, you are fine here Mousie. We have individual threads for each block as and when people make them, and a thread for the first 16 (centre blocks) and a Gallery meant mainly for pics, and a thread for Gallery chat, and finally a tute thread. I think thats it at the moment.

craftyone27 04-13-2011 04:55 PM

I had my book redone with a spiral binding at Fed/Ex Kinkos for $4.99- Yay!! Also had enlarged copies made of the first 16 blocks. My next step is to dip my toe in the water and try a block-lol! I have to say it looks much more manageable in a larger size. Hopefully all those tricky little scrolls will be a bit easier to manage.

QuiltswithConvicts 04-13-2011 05:41 PM

Mousie, you just go right ahead and chat all you want - that's what this is for! We love listening to you, squeaks & all!

We took the boys to Lancaster & the Amish country when school was out one summer. I don't remember exactly when, but a quilt (& book) was out called, "Country Bride." It's an all applique quilt with a pillowtuck & everything. Blocks were big with 2 birds facing each other and about 6 or 7 layers of hearts below them. I made one in Chrsitmas colors, hand appliqued & quilted. I hadn't finished the quilting when someone from church called & asked if I had a quilt I could donate to their first Gala's auction. WEll, not wanting to come across as a stingy old gus, I said yes, it's nearly finished. I gave them the quilt. I'll find a pic of it & post it later. Anyway. After the auction, I found out that my bosses' sister won the bid for the quilt! Her DH worked at the same college as my DH (the Wisconsin Lutheran world is really small!) I was glad she got it as I know it has a loving home. I still haven't made a Christmas quilt for my bed to replace that one!

Oh, boy, I really got off track. So in LAncaster, everywhere we went were Amish quilt sales and all i really saw was Country Bride quilts - all appliques. I really wanted a true Amish quilt, but none were to be found - just those made for the tourists.

Merlin's Mama 04-13-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
I had my book redone with a spiral binding at Fed/Ex Kinkos for $4.99- Yay!! Also had enlarged copies made of the first 16 blocks. My next step is to dip my toe in the water and try a block-lol! I have to say it looks much more manageable in a larger size. Hopefully all those tricky little scrolls will be a bit easier to manage.

I am going to have my book done tomorrow. Right now I am looking at a baby quilt having quilter's block. Still new to machine quilting.

sandpat 04-14-2011 05:25 AM

Kathy, that quilt sounds like it was lovely, can't wait to see a pic of it.

I need to get my book done like that. If we only HAD a Kinko's or some store like it around here. I don't think there is even one in either towns within 20 miles of me.

Crafty...just dive on it and start a block...its fun and warning......addicting!