Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

luvmortherest 02-11-2011 01:42 PM

fine by me :thumbup:

Lacelady 02-11-2011 01:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
First three pics are on how to get a nice circle. I cut a thin card template from cerial packet to use as a mould. Cut fabric a little larger (only about 3mm) and gather, but don't finishe off the gathering.

Pull up the stitches round the mould, and then iron it. Allow it to cool, then loosen the stitches, and remove the card. You can at that point pull up the stitches a little bit to help it hold its shape, then sew it on the block.

Lacelady 02-11-2011 01:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There has been quite a bit of discussion about embroidery, so I have tried some different options for you.

The first is using two threads in the machine, threading both through a large needle before stitching. I used a 100/16 needle, and both threads went through all the machine hooks, tension etc., just as per usual. I was using a large cone of thread, so I just put a small amount on a bobbin in order to be able to use two threads together.

On the left is a row of straight stitchin with just one thread so you can see the difference, and I used black on the bobbin which helps the top stitches show nicely.

Two threads on the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168972[/ATTACH]

Both through the needle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168973[/ATTACH]

Sitched sample (one thread on the left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168974[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 02-11-2011 01:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next option is to use a triple stitch, which would be one of your more basic stitches on a modern machine. Only one thread through the needle (back to normal size) yellow on top, black on the bobbin. The stitch in effect is two forward, one back, two forward, one back etc.

Third option is a narrow satin stitch. I did the straight example on 1.5mm wide.

Then I tried to make it 1mm on the first part of the curved example and it wasn't working, so I went back to the 1.5mm. Even though I was using a stabiliser (tear off paper) it still wasnt at all satisfactory

Triple stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]78106[/ATTACH]

Narrow satin stitch. (terrible mess at the end, because the machine chewed it up)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102056[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:01 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Now to the hand stitched version. Two strands of DMC stranded cotton (Floss).

First stitch is about 4mm long.

Put needle dow exactly on the line, 2mm from the end of previous stitch, and bring it up right next to the end of previous stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107555[/ATTACH]

Several in a row
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107556[/ATTACH]

Bringing the needl up half way along, on top of existing stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108430[/ATTACH]

On the back, the stitches are all in a straight line, not overlapping
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110343[/ATTACH]

Starting one of the scrolls
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116650[/ATTACH]

In the first curved part, I kept the needle on the inside of the curve. Now I am starting it on the outside of the curve so that you can see the difference
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116955[/ATTACH]

Butterflyspain 02-11-2011 02:02 PM

Big welcome to Sew Be it and Gal 288, great you have joined us.

We are a real friendly bunch here and would love to have your first names please.

Loads of helphere , just shout if you want advice

Elle

Fabric Galore 02-11-2011 02:04 PM

You are all way ahead of me. I have 2 quilts to finish before I start on AOTH in June. I have ordered my fabric, I have my book and I am going to look at threads when I get my fabric but, I will not be starting until the scheduled date. Thanks for the tips on machine embroidery; it will make it go faster. Is anyone going to try to machine applique the blocks?

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Elle, you jumped in, welcome to the newbies, but I will try to keep going.

Now for appliqueing - this is for a melon or leaf shape.

I've used a pale background so that I hope it will photograph better. I've also used a contrasting thread to sew with, (use a matching one on your work, this is just so you can see it).

I have drawn the shape on the background and cut out the applique shape larger by about 4mm more, all round. (just under a quarter inch. If you pin it in place, put the pin underneath, so your thread doesn't get hooked up on it. Otherwise, you could use a few drops of Elmers glue, but only a few, because I cut out the background from behind afterwards.

Start at a point, and turn under the first part. Put two small stitches right at the point, before making the next stitch.

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
If you struggle to turn under just the right amount, turn under too much, and then use the point of the needle to pull a little bit of the turning back out.

On gentle curves, you might not need to clip the turnings at all, but if you do, don't clip right down to the pencil line, stop a few threads before that point.

When you get to the end of the leaf, put two small stitches in the same place before turning to come back.

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tuck a little bit under, make one more stitch at the point, then tuck more under before you make the next stitch.

I forgot to say that if you do need to clip your turnings, only do about half an inch at a time, not the whole side of the leaf, in case everything shifts a bit on you.