Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Coming towards the beginning, turn under as much as you can, then stitch a bit closer.
Tidy up the turning, before you make the last few stitches.
The last bit gets pushed under, and then stitch to the end.

Sorry, this is blurry. Got too close
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114781[/ATTACH]

And there you have it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115037[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Now we will go for a heart shape.

The start is just the same as before, at the point of the heart

At the top of the heart, because it was a sharper curve, I have clipped a couple of times.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115328[/ATTACH]

To find out where to clip for the point, fold the heart down so that you can see
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115454[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:31 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Sew over the top of the first half, and right down into the dip.

When you get there, make sure you fold under every scrap of turning, right to your pencil line, then put two small stitches right at that point before continueing up the other side.

I have trimmed away the background from behind the leaf and the heart. Not really neccessary here, with only two layers, but some of the blocks would have 7 layers if you didn't trim any at all.

Sorry, this is blurry too - it's hard to take pics with one hand!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115613[/ATTACH]

Back to where you began again, and start tucking in the turnings.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115640[/ATTACH]

When you get closer, you can turn in more
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115641[/ATTACH]

I have trimmed away the backing from behind leaf and heart
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115867[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Then I tried a couple of machined versions.

The first I used a fusible, but cut away the middle of it, so that I could trim away the background after it had been stitched. This helps to cut down on stiffness too.

Backed with an edging of fusible
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116083[/ATTACH]

Elmers school glue
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116139[/ATTACH]

Both ironed in place (fusible in the middle, Elmers on the right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116166[/ATTACH]

Satin stitch round the fusible version, two sizes of buttonhole round the Elmers version
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116273[/ATTACH]

Back of both, (Satin/fusible now on the right) I haven't pulled away all the stabiliser from the buttonhole version
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116274[/ATTACH]

Background cut away from both, because neither were stuck down completely
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116457[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 02-11-2011 02:45 PM

Phew, thanks for bearing with me - obviously I will try and answer any questions now.

SewExtremeSeams 02-11-2011 02:58 PM

Wow, Leslie, your tutorials are terrific. With your patience, photos and explanations we will be able to get this quilt done. I really need all of the info you have so kindly provided.

Thank you so much.

My DH drove me to a nearby city for sightseeing and made sure to locate a quilt store I hadn't been to. His idea not mine. The owner had a beautiful quilt displayed and much to my surprise the whole thing looked pleasing to my DH (red/green color blind) even though it was pinkish with a very light cream colored background. It is a color palette I love and it looked refreshing to him. Sew! Now I have my colors picked out. Now, I need to get the fabric. However, I have 7 small projects before I can start. So, I will probably be ready by June. :-D :-D :-D I am a happier camper. Forty-eight hours can sure make a difference! LindaAnn

Lacelady 02-11-2011 03:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Wow, Leslie, your tutorials are terrific. With your patience, photos and explanations we will be able to get this quilt done. I really need all of the info you have so kindly provided.

Thank you so much.

My DH drove me to a nearby city for sightseeing and made sure to locate a quilt store I hadn't been to. His idea not mine. The owner had a beautiful quilt displayed and much to my surprise the whole thing looked pleasing to my DH (red/green color blind) even though it was pinkish with a very light cream colored background. It is a color palette I love and it looked refreshing to him. Sew! Now I have my colors picked out. Now, I need to get the fabric. However, I have 7 small projects before I can start. So, I will probably be ready by June. :-D :-D :-D I am a happier camper. Forty-eight hours can sure make a difference! LindaAnn

How nice of DH to be so thoughful to find you another store. And what a happy discovery about the colour scheme too. I would be desperate to get those seven (SEVEN?) projects done. What a daunting list.

I tried to add a couple more pics to my hand stitching set, and wasn't allowed to, so I'm putting them here in the hopes that everyone will find them.

This is what happens if the stitch is done the other way - it doesn't sit on the curve very well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116898[/ATTACH]

Ducky 02-11-2011 04:02 PM

Thank you Lesley. This will give me something to practice with. You put a lot of time into it.

Lacelady 02-11-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Thank you Lesley. This will give me something to practice with. You put a lot of time into it.

Thanks Ducky, I don't mind at all as long as it helps someone. I was annoyed at how bad my two machined hearts came out, but ran out of steam to re do them. I don't usually make such a pigs ear out of sewing.

Ducky 02-11-2011 04:09 PM

My goal is to do it all by hand. I've wanted to learn needle turn for a long time.