Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

Lacelady 03-27-2011 02:36 AM

Poor Kathy, you have my sympathies. That kind of thing is sooooooooo frustrating, and I hope today goes better for you.

debe 03-27-2011 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Obsessed
That really stinks! I'm using the invisible thread to sew down my applique pieces and I find that it is very finicky stuff. Sometimes it just doesn't want to sew nicely. I always end up tightening my tension more than I think I need to and cleaning the lint bunnies out of my bobbin area before it starts behaving itself. I hope you work out the magic combination of needle and settings!

I LOVE Deadliest Catch. I didn't know there was a marathon on this weekend - I hope it is still going on tomorrow! It is one of the few shows that I will watch. I think it is because I am secretly (OK, not so secretly) in love with Mike Rowe. Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs and sporting events are about the extent of my TV watching. Any more would cut into my sewing too much! ;)

Sorry about your frustrations. I hate it when you think things are going well and find it they aren't and have to backpeddle a whole lot....to solve the TV problem do like me and put one in your sewing room. :)

Fabric Galore 03-27-2011 04:30 AM

Dear Kathy I know exactly what you are going through and you have my sympathy. I have 3 sewing machines; a Viking Lily, Janome 6500 and Janome 11000 and I manage to sew by alternating between the machines. I am going to break down and take my 11000 to my LQS this week and have it fixed and then I'll take my 6500. They all have different problems. FRUSTRATING!!!! When you are in the middle of a project.

Lacelady 03-27-2011 04:36 AM

Is it me or are all the machines that are giving problems Janome's?

sandpat 03-27-2011 04:45 AM

I don't think all Lesley...and anyway, some encountered "accidents"....dog pulled off table....Mom broke needle by using wrong foot....and other issues..Interesting note though

Butterflyspain 03-27-2011 04:48 AM

Mines a Brother so no not all Janome´s

sandpat 03-27-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Obsessed

That really stinks! I'm using the invisible thread to sew down my applique pieces and I find that it is very finicky stuff. Sometimes it just doesn't want to sew nicely. I always end up tightening my tension more than I think I need to and cleaning the lint bunnies out of my bobbin area before it starts behaving itself. I hope you work out the magic combination of needle and settings!

Here are a few tips to try when working with the mono that I learned in a quilting class.

1. Wind your bobbin really slowly - put your hand on the winder to slow the thread down. Winding it quickly stretches the thread and when it comes off the bobbin, it wants to go back to its original shape and causes you a problem. I sit down, cup my hand around the spool and it may take me 10 minutes to wind an entire bobbin.

2. Reduce your top tension. I normally sew with it on 4.0....when I use mono, I reduce it to 2.5.

Since I started doing these things I haven't had any issues with the thread. The other thing is that I do buy "decent" mono, not the cheap crap from Wally's. Its just not worth the savings.

Good luck with it!

Roxanne 03-27-2011 05:38 AM

OMG---for some reason I have not been getting notification of new posts to the thread and I now have 94 pages to read! Ya'll certainly have been busy. I'm afraid I haven't even washed my fabric yet, it's still set for June, right?

candi 03-27-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roxanne
OMG---for some reason I have not been getting notification of new posts to the thread and I now have 94 pages to read! Ya'll certainly have been busy. I'm afraid I haven't even washed my fabric yet, it's still set for June, right?

I hope so, I still haven't got my fabric yet :P :lol:

sandpat 03-27-2011 06:10 AM

Oh yes you guys.....no worries....no stress! There are a few of us playing with blocks early, but it doesn't start until June. Some of us are still changing our minds about backgrounds and so forth!