Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The Farmer;s Wife Quilt-Along Week 9 Blocks 17 & 18 PHOTO Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmer%3Bs-wife-quilt-along-week-9-blocks-17-18-photo-page-t67324.html)

Honchey 11-16-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene

Originally Posted by Evie
Darcene, I like the way you set up this block. I may have to re-do mine. Thanks to you guys who think outside the box! (Is it still called by it's original name? :) )

I hadn't thought of that....maybe Another Century of Progress? I am sure that it has an "official" name but since each of our quilts will be so individualized, I really don't think it makes any difference what we call them....I love quilts that use the Century of Progress block...but it is not much of a stand alone block so I changed it up so that it could be used as a single block.....thanks for the kind comment....

Hi Darcene, Long time no see!!! Welcome Back!!!I love your #18. I call it the transformer block. I pp this one and I had a very difficult time with the very middle center seams I'm wondering if I made the seam allowance wider-would the seam lay flatter?? Yours looks so nice and flat. Anne

Darcene 11-16-2010 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=Honchey][quote=Darcene]

Hi Darcene, Long time no see!!! Welcome Back!!!I love your #18. I call it the transformer block. I pp this one and I had a very difficult time with the very middle center seams I'm wondering if I made the seam allowance wider-would the seam lay flatter?? Yours looks so nice and flat. Anne

Hello Anne,

I used the standard 1/4" seam, but there was a big ugly bump in the middle...so, I clipped into the seam allowance (almost up to the stitching but not quite touching) on each side of the center intersection-this allowed the seams to be pressed to one side...Then I picked out all of the stitching in each of the seams that made up the bump (huh???) This allowed me to squish the bump open and then I pressed the dickens out of it from the back and then from the front using a press cloth...I have scanned the back of the block since as they say " a picture......"

the back of block 18
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127411[/ATTACH]

Honchey 11-16-2010 06:12 PM

[quote=Darcene][quote=Honchey]

Hello Anne,

I used the standard 1/4" seam, but there was a big ugly bump in the middle...so, I clipped into the seam allowance (almost up to the stitching but not quite touching) on each side of the center intersection-this allowed the seams to be pressed to one side...Then I picked out all of the stitching in each of the seams that made up the bump (huh???) This allowed me to squish the bump open and then I pressed the dickens out of it from the back and then from the front using a press cloth...I have scanned the back of the block since as they say " a picture......"

Thanks for the photo--I'm wondering if sewing it by machine the way handpiecing is done-just up to the intersection then maybe the points will flare after pressing. I do that with some blocks--it's hard and time consuming. Oh well--It might be worth a shot! Anne

JAGSD 11-17-2010 06:34 AM

Darcene,
I love your Century of Progress of block.

rwquilts 11-17-2010 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=Honchey][quote=Darcene]

Originally Posted by Honchey

Hello Anne,

Thanks for the photo--I'm wondering if sewing it by machine the way handpiecing is done-just up to the intersection then maybe the points will flare after pressing. I do that with some blocks--it's hard and time consuming. Oh well--It might be worth a shot! Anne

You may want to configure your PP order to allow it to be put together in halves? That's what I did...I always take off my papers...I know, I know...most of you don't do that, but it works for me...here's the backside of my block and it's not overly bulky in the middle...you do see a marking line on the back of one piece...but it doesn't show on the front.

Darcene 11-17-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
Darcene,
I love your Century of Progress of block.

Hello Judy,
Thank you for your kind notice of my block....I only wish I had seen how easy Ronda made it look...but this entire quilt is about learning and I am learning a lot....again, thank you so much for your kind words.

Darcene 11-17-2010 05:39 PM

[quote=rwquilts][quote=Honchey][quote=Darcene][quote=Honchey][quote=Darcene]

You may want to configure your PP order to allow it to be put together in halves? That's what I did...I always take off my papers...I know, I know...most of you don't do that, but it works for me...here's the backside of my block and it's not overly bulky in the middle...you do see a marking line on the back of one piece...but it doesn't show on the front.

Ok Ronda, where did you put all of the seam intersections in the middle.....I am amazed by your block and I would love it if you would share with me (us) just how you did this.... :lol: Your work is flawless as usual. I pieced my block so that I did join it as two halves but mine looks nothing like yours......please, please?

omak 11-17-2010 08:27 PM

****HIGH FIVE****
to RWquilts! a picture is worth a thousand words, and you proved it quite handily. Thank you! <wave>

rwquilts 11-18-2010 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=Darcene][quote=rwquilts][quote=Honchey][quote=Darcene][quote=Honchey]

Ok Ronda, where did you put all of the seam intersections in the middle.....I am amazed by your block and I would love it if you would share with me (us) just how you did this.... :lol: Your work is flawless as usual. I pieced my block so that I did join it as two halves but mine looks nothing like yours......please, please?

You're very kind. Thank you! Here's what I did...

If you look at the back of mine, you can see that I divided my block into eight segments...by stitching two segments together, it created 1/4th of the block, creating a small square...I repeated this for the remaining 3 blocks, pressing towards the outside of the block...then stitched two squares together and then the other two. Then I stitched the two sides together and pressed the last seam open as it was pretty thick in the center by now. I'm including the picture below so you don't have to go back to the other page.

JeanieG 11-18-2010 08:22 AM

[quote=rwquilts][quote=Darcene][quote=rwquilts][quote=Honchey][quote=Darcene]

Originally Posted by Honchey

You're very kind. Thank you! Here's what I did...

If you look at the back of mine, you can see that I divided my block into eight segments...by stitching two segments together, it created 1/4th of the block, creating a small square...I repeated this for the remaining 3 blocks, pressing towards the outside of the block...then stitched two squares together and then the other two. Then I stitched the two sides together and pressed the last seam open as it was pretty thick in the center by now. I'm including the picture below so you don't have to go back to the other page.

Well RW, the back of my blocks sure don't look like yours. All I can say is WOW! You are very talented!