Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along Week 1 Blocks-Addie & Aimee (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-30-s-quilt-along-week-1-blocks-addie-aimee-t268356.html)

Honchey 08-09-2015 06:29 AM

Pam, I believe QNS uses the fabric cut from the templates then sews them onto the pping foundation paper sections...the templates are a guide to the shape & size of the fabric needed..I always cut mine bigger then trim after sewing them. I'll take some photos later to show you what I mean...

Pam P 08-09-2015 06:48 AM

Thanks Honchey, you did post photos on the last thread explaining this but I thought you used your pp templates to measure. I was afraid I would tear them doing it that way. I was thinking I might be able to get pieces cut and bagged ahead of time this way, not confuse the templates with the pp ones and not waste so much. Hope this makes sense.

huskyquilter 08-09-2015 07:43 AM

Well, I'm excited to say I finished Addie yesterday, and got part of Aimee done yesterday. I'm hoping to finish her up tonight as well as get started on the next one, I'll post pix once I have both finished. I haven't looked yet, who is number 3?

Honchey 08-09-2015 08:32 AM

If a pping section is too hard to fold, especially the many angled ones, I will use the templates to cut the fabric.

Next week is Alice & Ann...with Alice, I cut strips a little wider than the pieces then used the strip as I sewed & cut.

klgreene 08-09-2015 08:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm also working on " Loyal Union Sampler". I've been wanting to do both quilts for a long time, so decided to do both at the same time. So it's a wide variety of fabrics. But all are 6" blocks, so I pull out and cut strips for two blocks at a time. And most are either 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" strips, and what I don't use of that strip goes into my box that I'm making a adding machine tape quilt as well. It's a way of using up some scraps. I'm also working on the Row by Row Experience. So I'm busy, busy, busy, and it's all different so I never get bored.

Honchey 08-09-2015 09:02 AM

For Ann, I used the templates to cut the fabric pieces, then pinned the fabric to the pping sections..I just used a rectangular piece of fabric for the middle section.

QuiltingNinaSue 08-09-2015 11:41 AM

Yes, Pam P, I do use the templates glued on light cardboard stock from Wal Mart, cut out the templates and punch holes for seam allowances, and use that pattern for paper piecing, so it 'fits' real good in its pp place and I can control everything better. Partly because of my lack of vision, and partly because I do not want to waste fabric. Not everyone does it this way, its personal preferences. What ever way is comfortable to you, is what you should do, try this and that of the tips given to you, and see how you like it, and if its comfortable to you.

Texas_Sue 08-09-2015 12:00 PM

QuiltingNinaSue:

What a great idea. I did a lot of trial and error on Addie. I've PP before but for some reason it all went out of my head when I started.

Susan

Honchey 08-09-2015 12:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The photos shown are not of Ann. I used Ann templates for an example.

1. fabric cut using template.. notice the extra seam allowance.

2. purple fabric pinned to pping section with the second piece of fabric pinned thru the stitching line to flip to see if it fits and is lined up correctly..I fussy cut the print fabric.

3. it fits perfectly..

4. another section with the print fabric fussy cut...

5. the template marked Ann 4F has the arrow going on the straight of fabric so the checks won't be cock-eyed.

the template marked Anne 4D also has a straight sewing line so I lined it up with the straight of the fabric.

the template marked Ann 4 B is an example of what I use to fussy cut a piece of fabric.. it's picture frame of
what you want to showcase.. I place a pin at a point where I want it to meet with the point of the pping
section.

Pam P 08-09-2015 01:05 PM

Perfect! Thank you both so much. I will work with and let you know how I do.