Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 31 Bloc 61 May & Block 62 Millie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-30s-quiltalong-week-31-bloc-61-may-block-62-millie-t277216.html)

givio 03-30-2016 08:08 PM

I generally don't have my 2 blocks ready to post on Tuesday-- but I try to finish them sometime during the week that they are 'due.' I just am busy with a full time job, going to college, and other life events, so I'm often late and post late on previous week's threads.

But, I sure like to look on Tuesday and see what everyone else has been working on! Sometimes, I'm glad I haven't started that week's blocks yet, because after seeing what someone else has sewn I get a new idea of what I'd like to do for the block. Several times I've thought, "oh, I like how that looks with a very dark print there" or "this looks great, I'll do it that way too."

JuneBillie 03-31-2016 09:50 AM

Givio you do sound busy. It is fun to see what others have made, and get ideas.

JuneBillie 03-31-2016 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok girls. I debated whether or not to show a picture of my May block. :o I consider myself rather courageous, so I will. lol.... I did get through it over several days, and it still is very distorted in my attempts to concentrate on the y-seams. I have never ever done y-seams, and this may be my last too. hehe.. Such as it is, I present you with my May block which might be more correct to call it May Day, May Day. lol..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546646[/ATTACH]

I learned from it though, and if I did it again which I may down the road before I would consider putting it in my quilt. I concentrated so much on doing the y-seams that I got away from being accurate as I usually try to do on all my seams. That caused places to pucker, and at the end I tried squaring off the block. That was worse, because it was not close to square so that's what happened to the upper right point especially. I did attempt it though, and this is the result.
Now to catch up on the other blocks. :)

katybob 04-01-2016 04:17 AM

Terrific first attempt at Y-seams, JuneBillie, and I love your fabric choices. I should have taken a picture of my first May before I made a second one. It wasn't nearly as good as yours. I've been looking for black fabric with tiny flowers for a future project. Is yours new?

janRN 04-01-2016 04:45 AM

Hooray for you JuneBillie--I admire you for attempting and succeeding at those y-seams. If that's your first attempt you'll breeze thru the next one. Some people can't adjust to paperpiecing, I can't wrap my head around y-seams. Good job!

givio 04-01-2016 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh! Lookin' good there, JuneBillie! By the way, your joke was very funny! :-) Here is my Milly. I haven't studied the future blocks-- I wonder if there will be more blocks using this triangle? So many different looks can be made with the half-square-triangle in a 4 x 4 block. I keep misplacing the template and needing to print it over again. On to May next!

JuneBillie 04-01-2016 08:06 AM

Givio your Milly block is very pretty. I like the colors you used. With your touch of light on the outside it made the middle pop.

Thanks all for your encouraging words on my May. :)

Katybob that darker fabric with the tiny flowers was in some scraps sent to me. It wasn't a very big piece, and I wondered if I would have enough to finish it, but I did. If I had a big piece of it, I would send it to you.

givio 04-01-2016 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's May. I didn't want to make the center from all one print, so I divided that pattern piece. It's a crooked block in the shot, with bad lighting, but you get the idea! :-)

JuneBillie 04-01-2016 11:31 PM

Givio your May block is so pretty. I like your color choices. :)

Pam P 04-02-2016 03:59 AM

That's pretty!