Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Week 4 "Basket of Flowers & Betty's Delight" Photo Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-week-4-basket-flowers-bettys-delight-photo-page-t176861.html)

gardnergal970 01-29-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 4922208)
This the video that I found that taught me to paper piece. Maybe it will be helpful to those who are going to try it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gK...eature=related

Thanks , JeanieG. I've done some PP before but it was a struggle. This gave me a much clearer idea if how it was supposed to work.

QuiltE 01-29-2012 12:16 PM

Great video JeanieG ... a picture is worth a 1000 words, for sure!
I'm sure it will help many get the nack of PPing.

Where I am different is that I don't do the pre-trimming as she does.
I put the first patch on, larger than necessary. Instead of pins, if I want it held in place, I'll use long machine stitches.
Then add and stitch in place the 2nd piece. Press in place.
Then do my fold back and flip the paper and "good fabric" out of the way. Slice to 1/4" only the finished seam. I don't find I need the ridge of the add a 1/4" ruler or the post card. The paper folds back nicely on my stitched line and I just use it as my guide to cut.
Then #3, and slice to 1/4" after. And so on!

I just use regular printer/photocopy paper, though the vellum would be nice to see thru. I'm cheap though and so far it hasn't really been a problem.

Sometime I'll do some pics to try to show better what and how I tackle these!

QuiltE 01-29-2012 12:44 PM

DublB ... I just saw a couple of Americana PP patterns that I thought you may be interested in.
Wonder why, I thought of you?

http://www.forestquilting.com/paperpiecing_free_pg5.html

Of course ... many more of the PC'ers just may be interested too!

ArteEmCasa 01-29-2012 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cookie LM (Post 4920267)
I am late this week was baby sitting my great grand baby Love everyones blocks they are beautiful

Great blocks Cookie LM, love the basket with the blue fabric.

Termi 01-29-2012 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4921833)
I don't use any guide to flip back the paper ... just fold back on the stitching. I use one of my regular rulers, so that I can hold the whole block in place with my hand on it. Besides, I hate those teeny-tiny rulers as too easy to get your fingers in the way! :)

RE the for the sewing paragraph ... I was trying to answer your questions in your first post. When I'm adding a piece of fabric, I don't do any precutting, I just work with the whole piece of fabric, sew it on, and then rough cut off what I need with excess. That's why the more than 1/4" across doesn't matter, as the excess will get cut in place. I find it much easier to iron it too, as that's holding it all in place nice and straight and steady. It may not get cut off with that step, but will with a later piece being added.

I keep my stitch length way down low ... 1.0 on a Janome!

I press at every step of the way. And the only pieces of paper I remove before the very end, are the backsides of pressed seams ... and if there's a bulky place that's going to have layers of fabric and paper that'll become too difficult to remove later (not often though).

Clear as mud,
Termi? or muddier waters now?

Hey QuiltE, I get it, thank you!! But............ I was working on the basket of flowers block and had problems. I was very careful to sew on the line. Everything seemed to be going well until I went to put the outside triangles on. The block came out the right size on some parts and short on other parts, in other words, wonky, off 1/16". Are there any snafu's I should watch out for when paper piecing? Do you sew the sections together with 1/4"?

JeanieG 01-29-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4922414)
Great video JeanieG ... a picture is worth a 1000 words, for sure!
I'm sure it will help many get the nack of PPing.

Where I am different is that I don't do the pre-trimming as she does.
I put the first patch on, larger than necessary. Instead of pins, if I want it held in place, I'll use long machine stitches.
Then add and stitch in place the 2nd piece. Press in place.
Then do my fold back and flip the paper and "good fabric" out of the way. Slice to 1/4" only the finished seam. I don't find I need the ridge of the add a 1/4" ruler or the post card. The paper folds back nicely on my stitched line and I just use it as my guide to cut.
Then #3, and slice to 1/4" after. And so on!

I just use regular printer/photocopy paper, though the vellum would be nice to see thru. I'm cheap though and so far it hasn't really been a problem.

Sometime I'll do some pics to try to show better what and how I tackle these!

I use the newsprint type paper for paper piecing. I used to use the Dollar Store Scribble Pads, and cut it to letter size. Then I found a ream online and bought it already cut to letter size. It tears off really easily and goes through the printer fine!

dublb 01-29-2012 06:19 PM

Oh, QuiltE & JeanieG, Thanks! I saved those PP patterns & I'll use 'em if I have to substitute again. Glanced thru the book & I might need to for the Indian on Horseback or the Pansy. I'll try my fabric first but those have me wondering. I'll definitely be coming back to this thread to watch the video & read your directions. Ya'll are awesome.

QuiltingNinaSue 01-31-2012 04:33 PM

Really great directions for Pp right way; me, I go my own way...I cut my templates out, punch out the hole where seams meet, cut out the cloth by using the template and put it on the "right side" so I don't have to flip or think in the reserve and it works for me, but I would not recommend it for others. I use Carolyn Doan's paper for paper piecing. I use gel pens and mark on the wrong side of the fabric and sew on the lines, stop on the dots. The PC templates are coming out right on 8 1/2 blocks, so I am happy. I may even post next weekend, and ride with the main body of this trail ride, instead of the drag position. In drag, its dusty if its dry weather, and muddy in the wet season. No, I do not any one is late; or recognize the concept. We all ride at our own pace and deal with life as it happens. Results are always wonderful.

Honchey 01-31-2012 08:53 PM

My blocks for week 4

2 Attachment(s)
I am finally getting thru...I am so happy to be back! Now I can look at all the pretty blocks..I can't wait!!

dublb 01-31-2012 09:34 PM

Great blocks! I'm so glad that you're back! Yeah! Did ya get a new computer? Did they fix your other one?