Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-11-cats-paw-confederate-rose-discussion-page-t182729.html)

JanieW 03-15-2012 02:45 PM

JanRN,
I sent you a link about the Y seams with a tutorial, but I put it in the photo page thread instead of this one. Sorry. I'm going back to bed!

mirabelle 03-15-2012 04:27 PM

I am happy with what everyone decides about the spring break/camp fire, just having so much fun making these blocks and enjoying the chat each week..
Should have been sewing with my embroidery club today but I am rained in and not going anywhere so DH might not get to town to get his paint (AAWWWW) so sad !!!

Honchey 03-15-2012 05:01 PM

Okay, A campfire thread it is and it will be posted on April 3,2012....I'm going to have some of that King chicken!!! H

janRN 03-15-2012 05:22 PM

Thanks, Janie. The pictures really helped. I'm going to try this method over the week-end. If it doesn't work, so be it. I'll come up with a substitute block but I really want to conquer those darn y seams. Thank you!

carriem 03-15-2012 05:27 PM

I saved the "y-seam" link so I have it when I get to those blocks. I am finally feeling better today...Lord willing I can make myself take it easy a couple more days so I don't relapse with another migraine. I go to the dr. Monday and she will adjust my meds. I was able to get things unpacked from the retreat and have my sewing machine all set up for when I want to sew. I still need to get pictures and post them...probably this weekend.

Thanks for all the "well wishes". This is such a nice group of ladies!!

Carrie

JeanieG 03-15-2012 05:40 PM

What is the best way to do Confederate Rose? Did you guys use the templates or PP? We just got back from a trip to Sacramento, then met up with our Camping Group for a 3 day camp out. I got Cat's Paw done while we were gone, but have not started Conf. Rose yet. Help!

mirabelle 03-16-2012 01:10 AM

JeanieG, I started PP'ing the centre of the Rose first then worked my way out to the outer corners. It went together quite well and I didn't have to reverse sew. Good luck

QuiltingNinaSue 03-16-2012 04:47 AM

I did my confound rose with templates; marking back of fabric where seams met, stopping on that dot each time. Look at tutorial now posted and it may help you. All is not lost if you decide to "sub" another block. Better get the King Ranch Chicken going in the crock pot. Shhhh...I sub tortilla chips for tortillas..and it works well. Love lots of cheese in it...no corn this time. And my quick Pork Roast with apples and brown sugar over it and put it into the oven.

Termi 03-16-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 5063659)
What is the best way to do Confederate Rose? Did you guys use the templates or PP? We just got back from a trip to Sacramento, then met up with our Camping Group for a 3 day camp out. I got Cat's Paw done while we were gone, but have not started Conf. Rose yet. Help!

HI JeanieG, I was stumped by CR too and I'm certainly no expert but I used a suggestion from QuiltE. I paper pieced and started in the middle of the block. For those pesky 5 sided pieces on each side of the block I left the PP paper on so I would know where the seam line was and where to pivot. Leaving the paper on also helps to stabilize everything. Without that suggestion from QuiltE I don't think I could have done it. Hope this makes sense.

Termi 03-16-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 5063623)
I saved the "y-seam" link so I have it when I get to those blocks. I am finally feeling better today...Lord willing I can make myself take it easy a couple more days so I don't relapse with another migraine. I go to the dr. Monday and she will adjust my meds. I was able to get things unpacked from the retreat and have my sewing machine all set up for when I want to sew. I still need to get pictures and post them...probably this weekend.

Thanks for all the "well wishes". This is such a nice group of ladies!!

Carrie

HI carriem, I'm glad you're feeling better. I used to get migraines when I was younger, not so much now. But, I remember what they were like and wouldn't wish them on anyone. Take care.