Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page

The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page

Hi Pardners, It's week 11--22 blocks so far and we are movin' right along....I've been very good for one and a half days ..no cp...just sewing...wrapping fabric on boards..cookin' and a bein' busy....

I have to say I don't like y seams...I am sick of them...as you'll see in the photos I didn't finish them..just folded them in for the scanner..I'll be finishing them by hand... I found that in Confederate Rose the seams folded so that you couldn't properly manipulate it.
    Cat's paw was so easy and alot of fun for me as I used wild & crazy cats for it.
    Anyway, I had a couple of good days trying to organize my fabric. Some of the piles are shrinking! H

I just ordered the book so I can try and play along. I love horses and love how you all are using horse/western fabric to do them with.
    Hugs
    April

Hi Honchey, I agree, I don't like y seams either! I'm glad you mentioned that about Confederate Rose. I'm not happy with the way mine came out, just couldn't get things to match up, it was a fight. I too used crazy cats for CP. Maybe they're the same. Some of my fabric piles are shrinking but I'm adding to others. Buying fabric is addictive.

The Y seams are a bear cat! I find that the smaller the pieces, the harder it is to wrestle with them. Then add paper piecing to it and it can get frustrating.

I tried so hard to get caught up this week and get the blocks done. I probably should have slowed down. I am glad to see the last of Confederate Rose!

Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella View Post
    I just ordered the book so I can try and play along. I love horses and love how you all are using horse/western fabric to do them with. Hugs April

Yeeeeeehaaaaawwwwwww!!! we have ourselves a new CowGirl, y'all you Pardners!
    Welcome
    LovingIzabella ... while you wait for your book you can start planning your blocks from your horsey-stash!!

Watch out ... as sometimes there's some stash-snatching that goes on in these partgs!!

I don't think I'm going to get any blocks done this week ... want to get my act together on my FWS and get it finished up. It's been going slow, and that's mainly because I've been goofing off this last while. Partly because I am still not feeling all that well ... all the time! I'm getting sick ... of being sick! Did some work last night on the FWS .... and then promptly had to take it all apart as had left out some of the sashing when adding the setting triangles. Yes, you read that right ... on more than one of the setting triangles.

Moral of the story ... do not even do something like that when you're not fully with it. And I know better ... but thought I could do it, without problems!

See y'all!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

As you can see on the Picture thread, I didn't include Confederate Rose. I tried 3 times, and like baseball, 3 strikes you're out! I threw them in the closet in The Box That Will Never Be Opened.
    Anne, I've finished out the other Y seam blocks by hand; that was the only way I could get them to fit (sort of).
    April, welcome--you will love this group. I've learned so much just by doing these quilt-alongs. Doing 2 blocks per week isn't a lot of pressure. Look forward to your contributions.
    QE hope you feel better soon- seems like whatever this "crud" is it's hanging on forever. No--do NOT operate hazardous machinery when dealing with the "crud" LOL.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Loved everyone's blocks and the fuzzy cutting you all did. Very good. I took the easy way this time doing last week's and this week's in two days. And then the Confound Rose had the last work 'cause I choose the uncropped photo by err when I posted it! So you get a better look at the slashing material. I did use confederate colors with just a touch of Yankee blue. Caw's paw colors were chosen because of the pony's name, Dainty. JanRN, wonder what you will substitute for that confound Rose block....surprise us all with some beautify block of bold colors.

First job South of the Mason-Dixson line and first teenager babysitter we had referred to the child's navel button as "where the Yankee's had shot him!"....we knew it was truly Southern living there. Always said we were from the South there, but it was really Southern Iowa. And the Handy Man in Texas who seen me struggling to install a pencil sharpner on top of a hard oak desk, came to my rescue. "IF I had my dh handy Yankee drill, I could have done that", I said. He looked me in the eye, and said, "We do NOT need a Yankee anything!!" and quickly installed the pencil sharpener on the desk and left. I love the South, East, West and North...and their folks.

Announcement: Spring break

Notice to Pony Club Participants:
    We will be having a Spring Break the week following April 1, 2012.
    That means there will not be any threads posted for April 3, 2012.
    It gives us all a break to refresh ourselves...take care of any holiday planning..or to even catch-up with anything we want to do without the worry or anxiety of completing blocks.
    We will resume the threads April 10, 2012 with blocks Crystal Star & Dakota Star. H

SPRING BREAK a week before Easter?? Wow. Hope everyone has a wonderful Spring break and Easter. No plans here. Guess others in my state can gather around the campfire at the chuck wagon. Bring your own potluck recipes and favorite quilt patterns to chat awhile. You'all come now. QNS

Hey Ya'll I just stopped by ta let ya know that I'll be busy for a while. DMIL is in the hospital w/a bladder infection. I came home ta eat. I guess I'll come & look at blocks a little but won't have time ta post for a while. (Gotta have my eye candy!)
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Hey Ya'll I just stopped by ta let ya know that I'll be busy for a while. DMIL is in the hospital w/a bladder infection. I came home ta eat. I guess I'll come & look at blocks a little but won't have time ta post for a while. (Gotta have my eye candy!)
    Hope the hospital stay is short and helpful.

We get a Spring break? I've been so focused on these block, hope I don't get withdrawal symptoms.

JanRN ... I feel better, then I don't feel so good, then I feel better, then ........ !!!! arrggghhhh
    The machinery wasn't the problem, it was the operator (and her brain!). Re-traced my steps (aka frog stitching) tonight where I joined sashing to setting triangles, but in the wrong direction (re cornerstone). All is pressed, with the setting triangles trimmed to make sure they are "square". Now ... all is ready for a good sew-a-thon. Hopefully this weekend!

QNSue ... quite the "new" block name!!

All ... look forward to seeing your blocks or the missing ones! and the added in ones! when I get over to the photo thread. Never know which to check out first! Thanks for the background info on what you've done ....... and not sure I thank you for the fear tactics!!

Honchey ... Spring Break noted ... of course, I'll probably forget by then! Kids here have had this week off for their Spring Break. And that means that the business world is interrupted considerably, with all the parents taking off to either be home to care for the kids, or take them on holidays!

Just thinking ... the Spring Break might be a good PC catch-up time pour moi! A good goal, being that I don't normally have Easter GTGs to work into life, and usually make it a personal quilting retreat time! OK ... that's it, I will be caught up with the PC by the end of the PC Spring Break on April 10th. Which means I will have my FWS done and to my LAQ, being that it must be done before I work at catching up the PC!!!! Yeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re
    QNSue's spring break campfire at the chuckwagon ... maybe we should have a thread?

DublB ... So sorry about your MIL. You are such a good DIL! We'll be here to give you your quilting "fix" when you can drop by, and perhaps at times you can sneak to your machine for a little sewing therapy in between your MIL visits?

Spring break, I was planning on spending all of Easter locked in my sewing room getting a little ahead on EVERYTHING!!!!!
    DH might have other ideas as he is off buying paint on the weekend (hope he doesn't need an offsider)
    Maybe I am a little weird but I am enjoying the challenge of the Y seams, that may change if I get a b%^## of a block
    Karen

Hi, I just thought it would be good to have a catch-up week for those behind and for those who have holiday plans....We could have a thread for a "Gather round the Campfire/Chuckwagon" .... If you want me to cancel Spring Break let me know..I'll do whatever y'all like. H

Good Mooooooorrrrrrrning Pardners!!

MiraB ... GMTA as I'm thinking too that our Spring Break will give me a good chance to get those earlier blocks done that I skipped while finishing my FWS blocks, and being that I declared my own March Break to get the sashing/borders done, I'm not getting at this week's blocks yet eithyer. Looks like we're thinking much the same? As for DH and his paint? .... let him do his thing and keep praising him for his a job well done ..... and of course, providing some of his favourite foods to keep him energized to do it All.By.Himself!!

Honchey
    ... Spring Break is OK with me ... as above. A Campfire thread would be good fun to stay in touch, and compare notes on Confound Rose and her cousins!!!! ... and besides we wouldn't want to miss out on the Potluck that QNSue has promised!!

I vote for the campfire thread too. You guys are inspire me in so many ways!

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    I vote for the campfire thread too. You guys are inspire me in so many ways!
    Besides ... we all might go into withdrawal by missing each other too much!

I vote for a Spring Break with a Campfire Thread. I've been working full time this week and again next week (Hate It!!!) so I will need some catch up time. Good timing for a break.

I do have a question about those blasted y seams. What do you do with the seam allowances? I know to press my seams open, leave the seam un sewn 1/4" and sew dot to dot. Do I sew over the pressed open seam allowance? Do I stand it up out of the way? How do I pivot if all that fabric is in the way? Am I being dumb or missing something? All the books and instructions say sew dot to dot and pivot--that ain't workin' for me! I either end up with a hole at the seam line or a pleat. Please help this senior blonde!!

I am cooking up a storm for the campfire; sounds great. King Ranch chicken going in the crock pot tomorrow; pork roast into the oven, and made Chicken soup tonight for dh under the weather. He is better, but chicken soup might help the rest of you to feel better.

Maybe someone could offer help on the Y seams...during the break. A good quilting friend is coming tomorrow with her dh and will camp out here until Sunday, so we will be busy in the quilting room. She can twirl the backs of those 4 patch so quick, I just shake my head and sew away on the Bernina 1540 as she hands me more to do. We will complete this month's Civil War Journal squares; hers and mine, then turn to other projects. No shortage of things to do.

JanRN,
    I sent you a link about the Y seams with a tutorial, but I put it in the photo page thread instead of this one. Sorry. I'm going back to bed!

I am happy with what everyone decides about the spring break/camp fire, just having so much fun making these blocks and enjoying the chat each week..
    Should have been sewing with my embroidery club today but I am rained in and not going anywhere so DH might not get to town to get his paint (AAWWWW) so sad !!!
    Karen

Okay, A campfire thread it is and it will be posted on April 3,2012....I'm going to have some of that King chicken!!! H

Thanks, Janie. The pictures really helped. I'm going to try this method over the week-end. If it doesn't work, so be it. I'll come up with a substitute block but I really want to conquer those darn y seams. Thank you!

I saved the "y-seam" link so I have it when I get to those blocks. I am finally feeling better today...Lord willing I can make myself take it easy a couple more days so I don't relapse with another migraine. I go to the dr. Monday and she will adjust my meds. I was able to get things unpacked from the retreat and have my sewing machine all set up for when I want to sew. I still need to get pictures and post them...probably this weekend.

Thanks for all the "well wishes". This is such a nice group of ladies!!

Carrie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast