Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 13 Clover Leaf & Captain's Wheel Photo Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-13-clover-leaf-captains-wheel-photo-page-t184186.html)

QuiltE 04-10-2012 08:06 PM

The other man's grass is always greener ... or should I say the other pony's clover? They just look like a bunch that have escaped, and darting in and around every corner. Captain's Wheel really is rolling along with those FC giddyups in the centre!

QuiltingNinaSue 04-11-2012 04:08 AM

Yep, like the North end of the horse headed South in the block. There is one is every crowd, except this one at QB. The little donkey has to "look" everything over to know what is going on. Love those little guys. The fall out effects of working in junior high school for 37 years in five states...the kids always grew up so quickly in High School, but was always so adorable in jh.

gardnergal970 04-11-2012 04:22 AM

QNS...I bet you were always a step ahead of your students too. You just keep us guessing where you'll put your ponies. Very well done!

janRN 04-11-2012 04:27 AM

Bright, colorful, fun blocks QNS-love them. (I'm glad you mentioned the donkey--you think I'd have learned the difference by now but again, I thought he was a pony.) I thought Clover block was just an okay block but you all have made it special with your choices of color and fussy cutting.

JeanieG 04-11-2012 08:37 PM

Wow QNS, you got so many different fussy cut fabrics in your blocks. Great job. I love the purple/lavenders in Clover Leaf.

oksewglad 04-24-2012 02:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah I got these two done too! And QE yes here's a Guernsey cow![ATTACH=CONFIG]330117[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]330118[/ATTACH]

QuiltingNinaSue 04-24-2012 03:15 AM

Love that cow!!! She really rules like a Queen that she is!!! Great job on both blocks. Looking forward to seeing more of the same "fussy" cuts in the future. The Iowa State Fair always features a "butter" cow, sculpture from butter, a guernsey (?cannot spell this morning) cow, I think. Or Elise (from Borden Dairy) comes to mind.

carriem 04-24-2012 03:55 AM

More purple fabric. :) Very nice. I like the clover fabric too. Cute cow!

gardnergal970 04-24-2012 04:34 AM

Oksewglad...I'm starting to like your fabric line almost as well as Mirabell's roses. Both lines make stunning combinations once in blocks. Very nice work too.

QuiltE 04-24-2012 06:31 AM

Perfectly Guernsey Gold!! Glad to see she made it into your quilt, OKSGlad!! :) Both blocks are winners, that's for sure!

Yea for Iowa!!! ... did you know that the butter sculptures started here at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto?

A man by the name of Ross Butler did the first, and continued to do so for many years. Every year it was a challenge to do something bigger and better and more incredible. 1952 had the new Queen on her horse ... lifesized! One year a figure skater, balancing only on the point of her figure skate. He travelled to other parts, being commissioned to do others. Perhaps he started it in Iowa?

Since his passage, the butter sculptures are now done at both the Royal Winter Fair and the CNE. However, it is now art students who do the scultping, which are considerably smaller ... so that several can work during the shows, and be observed by the visitors to the fairs. Butter is donated by one of the creameries.

He was also famed for his realistic paintings of farm animals ... and developing the proportions for the "perfect" animal, for each breed of all types of livestock. All different breeds were done as portraits, and sets were distributed to the schools so children could learn to recognize all and learn about them. I remember them well ... and so wish that I had a set now, just for old times sake! :)