Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-continued-t280960.html)

sewbizgirl 02-11-2019 11:42 AM

Wow Sue, that's a lot of snow and ice. Good reason to stay in the house!

Bev, I'm scared to try quilting with Minkie on the back. Yours looks wonderful, tho.

oksewglad 02-11-2019 02:44 PM

They're talking 6-10 inches of the white stuff here..Just couple in the previous one. The blowing snow will be more treacherous than the actual amounts. Guess I'll have a snow day tomorrow...

dublb 02-11-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 8208682)
Bev, that is looking wonderful! I still only do SITD, or trace something on the border to follow! Don't think I'll ever get the hang of FMQ!

I'm not great at FMQ. Just so-so. I have learned that no matter how bad I am at it, when it is washed it looks great. It just takes practice. Also even going as slow as I am using the minkie, it is still faster'n SID.

dublb 02-11-2019 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8208912)
Wow Sue, that's a lot of snow and ice. Good reason to stay in the house!

Bev, I'm scared to try quilting with Minkie on the back. Yours looks wonderful, tho.

I love it that I can glue baste the top to the Minkie & have no need for batting. When I have blue basted anything w/the wool batting I have, it moved as the wool is a mid to high loft batting. All that thickness kept shifting. (I didn't have the same trouble w/spray basting. Go figure.) Anyway since I can't spray baste at the moment, the Minkie w/the glue is a good substitute.
Also if ya have a good edge to edge quilt pattern that has no backtracking ya can quilt it w/the Minkie on top. There is no drag that way. I am using the seam lines as a guide for my quilting this time so I have to do it w/the flimsy on top.

sewbizgirl 02-11-2019 05:36 PM

Good minkie tips, Bev! I think your quilting looks great. Didn't realize you weren't using batting with the minkie, but it makes sense, as it has it's own loft.

dublb 02-12-2019 07:35 AM

I've got a crazy busy day planned today. First I am gonna go & paint at DD's house. I will do about 3 hours. Then I have to change outta my paint cloths & then go help DM find the recommended hair dresser that we had heard of. Her hair dresser has had heart trouble & won't be back doing hair. Then we are gonna go find the spline to get her quilt into the frame that I gave her for her b-day. Finally we are gonna walk at Walmart.

sewbizgirl 02-12-2019 08:01 AM

Bev, you have so much energy! :D

givio 02-13-2019 05:53 AM

Jeanie, I like SITD. I think it makes the piecing pattern look nice.
We have 3/4"of ice, literally, on the whole driveway. Over that, we had snow, some more rain that turned to ice, more snow, and more snow. It took me forever to shovel the driveway, but I couldn't get the bottom layer of ice off, so it's very dangerous to walk there. Great for ice skating though! lol My car is parked on the driveway. I take baby steps every time I need to go out.

I had a week of sinus and ear infection, and finally am on the mend! So grateful to the Lord I'm getting better. :-)

oksewglad 02-13-2019 06:22 AM

Glad to hear you're feeling better givio.
Snow on top of ice is so treacherous! Do be careful as you walk to the car!
Sun shining...got bookwork to do. later..

sewbizgirl 02-13-2019 06:55 AM

Glad you are feeling better, Givio! Stay upright on that driveway!