Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

Anael 01-06-2014 12:52 PM

Oh Honchey, I'm sorry!

Carrie, does it do the ironing by itself too? If so I want want too :D :D

Today I ordered a crockpot ! ! ! It's my first crockpot and I'm very excited. Will have to wait till next week to arrive.
So ladies: your best recipes pleaaaassssseeeeeeeee :)

mirabelle 01-06-2014 01:38 PM

I am just popping in quickly to thank NinaSue for her package, it arrived this morning, lots of pins, beautiful pin cushion and 2 patterns which could be a challenge. From the bottom of my heart I thank you for thinking of me.

Now I must dash to the supermarket for my weekly shopping, like to go early and get the parking spot closest to the door:D

Will chat later today

QuiltingNinaSue 01-06-2014 02:09 PM

Honchey, sorry for your news. With a toothless DH that is facing more gum surgery, I can relate to that thought. May it heal quickly for you...and healing will start right after the surgery.

Mirabelle, so happy the mail plane did not crash on its way there and the package finally arrived there for you. On pattern is for advanced quitters and is a real challenge. I decided I was not an advanced quilter, but think of you as one.

Anael, there are many crock pot recipe booklets, and one will probably come with your crock pot. Hope you enjoy it and have great success with its recipes. Honchey's Rice Pudding recipe cooked up nicely in mine. I find the crock pot excellent for soups and stews. If company coming happens to be late, its great to keep the food warm and ready to serve, no problems. Mine old ones warn against putting frozen food into one, but I think the newer ones might handle that problem.

oksewglad 01-06-2014 03:04 PM

Oh it was noisy here today. All kids were here as no school today. Brrr cold outside DH, DS, and DDIL worked until after 3:00 with morning chores, but no major problems, thank God. A heifer calf born today out of Defiant--name suggestions include D-cold, D-Icy, D-iceher. Other names in her family tree include Defrost and Deheat. So glad we live in a small valley as the wind doesn't affect us as much. Down side is that it's usually colder in the valley by the river.

Never got into crockpot cooking. I was always close enough to the kitchen at meal times, but did a lot of oven baked meals so I'm not a very good source of recipes, Anael. Do enjoy it. My college yo nephew uses his small one all the time and is tickled when he comes back from class and has a hot meal waiting for him. I know I'm late, but I'd piece the back too. Cute cute quilt for Isa!

How exciting for you QE. Sure beats my thrift store irons I buy for a few $ and toss when they are done. I don't use steam but have a nice water spray bottle handy for moisture.

Every one stay warm or cool. Took out some suet cakes for the birds and boy sundogs were as bright as the sun. Now to try to get something done today. Kids sure change my plans for the day, but I hope they always remember being at Gram's.

FYI have used Mozilla Foxfire for quite over a year and haven't had a pop up since.

dublb 01-06-2014 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I finally took a pict o' my MB from Jeanie. Thanks for bein' so patient w/me. I just fell in love w/it right away!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455157[/ATTACH]

QuiltingNinaSue 01-06-2014 03:28 PM

Very pretty, Dublb, great job Jeanie!

The cold is suppose to break tomorrow and the temperature move up to 17 above and Wednesday through Sunday warmer. Rain and snow in the forecast but daytime temperatures are looking upward. Enough of cold weather; friend down at Hermann has frozen water pipes, with DD and DGS (who is two) visiting her for several days. Friend lost her DH on the 8th of December, so I call every other day or so because she is lonesome. No, she does not quilt.

It was nice to hear from you, OksewGlad, and know that you are coping with the situations and weather.

QuiltE 01-06-2014 03:52 PM

Yes, Oliso is the iron that I got!

CarrieM has it right ... you just let go of the handle and it puts its feet out, so it does not burn things. Now I have to re-train myself to not set it up on end. If you wish, you can turn the feet option off.

For you Ladies having shoulder problems, you might want to keep an eye on them. I had shoulder problems for awhile, so this is one of the reasons I chose O. Plus that the yellow one does not shut off for 30 minutes and has 1800 watts of power. Last night, it was really nice when I was coming and going from the machine as it was always ready. My old one ... not! Does this mean more productivity?

Anael ...
and thus why I pointed out the OOPS! :( Sorry to disappoint, but you do have to "operate" it! :D

Honchey ... get that blue iron out of its box and give it a work out to take away your disappointment about your tooth and departure.

OKSGlad ... Oh how I remember (and yes, even miss it!!!) winter on the farm and morning chores done at 3pm!! Yeaaaaaa just in time to start the night ones! :) It looks like you name your calves much like I did!!!! We had a lot of fun with them and often times it sure made it easier to remember their lineage! :) I've gone the thrift store route too for irons. My last one was from the garage sale after a neighbour died. I often remembered Wyn as I ironed. I seldom use steam, but am starting to think I might try again as that's another O advantage ... you use tap water! :) Might save on Best Press usage.

MiraB ... happy shopping! maybe you will be back in 3?

QuiltE 01-06-2014 05:20 PM

CarrieM ... I was looking at your Carrot Dressing recipe, and wondered if you ever tried it in the crock? I think it would work.

Anael ...
Here's one for you!

The name of this recipe, is kind of ironic, being that it was in the cookbook that was with my first crockpot when I was married!!! The second irony was that I never liked stew as a kid. Irony #3 ... my Mom never "made" stew (like this). It was always leftover gravy (flavourless, resemblance of wallpaper paste, and yes, I hated it) and then some leftover meat and vegetables kind of ran through it! :)

So this one changed my idea of stew, and soon became a favourite and still is today!! Now I just kind of toss in whatever and don't even read the recipe!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Crockpot Bachelor's Stew
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 lbs. stewing beef
1/3 cup dried bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1/3 cup ground tapioca
1 onion, quartered
3 carrots, cut in thick strips
4 stalks celery, chopped
8 oz can sliced mushrooms (or fresh)
1 cup beef broth
2 x 10 oz. cans condensed tomato soup
1 tsp. soy sauce

Brown beef in skillet. Toss with bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Put in crock. Add all other ingredients. Stir well and cover.

Cook on low for 10 to 12 hours high for 3 to 5 hrs.

Notes:
* If you want a hearty brown colour, add some Kitchen Bouquet.
* I always add chunked potatoes to the mix.
* Leftovers freeze well.
* Sometimes I use the leftovers as a soup base or just thin down the gravy.

mirabelle 01-06-2014 08:08 PM

Home in an hour, grocery shopping, pharmacy and stationery store for photocopying phew I like to get it done and done fast.:D Groceries all packed away (no help from DH) dog food cooked for the week and Spicy Chicken Wings cooked for lunch yum.

QuiltE I want an iron that does the work for me,:D although I lower my ironing board sit it right next to me and just swivel in my chair, no getting up and down for me:D Enjoy your gift...

Honchey I hope you are feeling better, I personally avoid the dentist at all costs, absolutely petrified of them and always have been. Had all my top teeth removed at age 19 and they had to put me to sleep to do it. Should have the bottoms removed also but I am not over the last visit:D

Anael enjoy your crockpot, I had one when I was first married a very long time ago and really didn't like it but I suppose they have improved a lot since 1978:D I tend to cook a lot of stir fries and roasts, really don't like stews.

Oksewglad what cute names for your calves

Dublb what a beautiful block from JeanieG

To everyone else, always thinking of you and please stay safe and warm

Honchey 01-06-2014 08:22 PM

Well, it's 11.23 p.m. my time zone and decided to make the numbers turn before anyone else beat me to it, :D :D