Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-quilt-along-photo-page-first-25-completed-blocks-t74338.html)

mirabelle 11-06-2010 02:38 AM

What a great idea, will post a photo of my blocks tomorrow. I haven't laid mine out yet so it will be interesting to see if I like what I have done so far. :roll: We are our own worst critics aren't we

shamrock 11-06-2010 05:47 AM

These blocks are beautiful! I'm behind, but hope to start back on track Monday. I also have decided that because I am doing just a lap size and can skip over some of the more challenging ones, I am going to change my color scheme. I've been following her colors, but I am opting for different and bolder colors for the last 25 blocks.I am going to set out my 20 blocks today and see how they look. Thanks for the incentive.

weezie 11-06-2010 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are mine. Again, not very good photography.

Honchey 11-06-2010 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Here are mine. Again, not very good photography.

Weezie, I like the dark background it makes your blocks stand out. Great looking blocks.

janRN 11-06-2010 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow-I'm in awe. These all look so great.
Okay-I'm posting mine but I need a HUGE favor. I'm a solitary person, no guild, classes, or friends that are quilters. I need feed-back: not just like my friends say "oh how pretty". I really want someone to tell me what's right or wrong about my blocks. I'm okay technically (cutting, sewing, piecing) but I'm color-challenged. Esp since this is the first time I've done scrappy. Is there too much of one color? Not enough of a color? PLEASE-be brutally honest. You guys are the reason I signed up for this challenge--I need feedback from quilters. I keep a notebook by my computer so I can write down what your blocks are like and I'm really learning a lot. PLEASE-if you don't feel comfortable criticizing here, send me a PM but please be honest. I value your help and insight.
Peace-Jan

Quilting Nonnie 11-06-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Okay-I'm posting mine but I need a HUGE favor. I'm a solitary person, no guild, classes, or friends that are quilters. I need feed-back: not just like my friends say "oh how pretty". I really want someone to tell me what's right or wrong about my blocks. I'm okay technically (cutting, sewing, piecing) but I'm color-challenged. Esp since this is the first time I've done scrappy. Is there too much of one color? Not enough of a color? PLEASE-be brutally honest. You guys are the reason I signed up for this challenge--I need feedback from quilters. I keep a notebook by my computer so I can write down what your blocks are like and I'm really learning a lot. PLEASE-if you don't feel comfortable criticizing here, send me a PM but please be honest. I value your help and insight.
Peace-Jan

I love your blocks and they are going to be beautiful in a quilt. The contrast in each block is excellent.

My suggestion is that most of your blocks are in the same tone and the blue and bright red stand out and draw your eye immediately. Doing some blocks in brighter colors will help make that block be more unified with others. I think more purple also.

Honchey 11-06-2010 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie

Originally Posted by janRN
Peace-Jan

I love your blocks and they are going to be beautiful in a quilt. The contrast in each block is excellent.

My suggestion is that most of your blocks are in the same tone and the blue and bright red stand out and draw your eye immediately. Doing some blocks in brighter colors will help make that block be more unified with others. I think more purple also.

Hi JanRN, my thoughts exactly, I would add more bright shades of the primary colors and definitely more purple. Anne

grannyQ 11-06-2010 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my first 26 blocks together. I enjoy looking at everyones blocks

first 28 blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119864[/ATTACH]

grannyQ 11-06-2010 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my first 26 blocks together. I enjoy looking at everyones blocks

fist 26 blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119861[/ATTACH]

weezie 11-06-2010 09:24 AM

To JanRN: I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but it might be food for thought. How my first 25 are laid out now (in order), they do not "work" at all. (I already knew they would not ... I did not make them to be in the same order that Laura has hers.) When I am finished all 111 blocks, I will arrange them to where they look best to me. Of the 64 blocks I've completed, I have some with not enough color contrast, others that will fit nowhere at all in the quilt and some that I dislike; any blocks that fall into those 3 categories will not be in the quilt. As a result, I will either have a smaller quilt or be re-doing some blocks. In the meantime, I'll just keep plodding along as best I can. It's been my experience that a little tweaking here & there can make a great-looking quilt.

If you need advice, certainly better to get it sooner than later, but I think you're doing fine.