Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Week 4 - H4, F7, H3, A9, LS10 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/jane-stickle-cyber-sew-week-4-h4-f7-h3-a9-ls10-t34651.html)

luvmortherest 01-20-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Thanks for that luvmortherest. :-)

When the block has an inset seam or a piece that needs to be appliqued, the software won't allow you to pick Foundation print, because it thinks it's impossible.

The built in library does have variations of each block, which is one option, or you can redraft the block yourself, which is slightly more difficult.

you are welcome blue

when i started my quilt designing i clicked on paper piecing if possible.

Icandothat 01-20-2010 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by luvmortherest

Originally Posted by Icandothat

when you open libraries go to block library. there should be a little box that pops up with the different libraries in it. there should be four selections:
Center Blocks
Center Block Variations
Border Blocks
Good For Alternate Blocks

open the center block variations. open variations row H. there should be 2 H4's the bottom one is the one i printed out that is a foundation pattern

Thanks for all your help. I think I just figured out that when I select it, it saves to my sketchbook. Then, I can print from my sketchbook. Is that correct? or is there something I am missing? I am learning this software as I go.

you should be able to although i just select my blocks in the opening screen then figure out which one i want to print out and how i want to print it
any time glad i could help if i did

I am still stuck. I can select the block, and it seems to store it in my sketchbook. I can't figure out how to print it.

Esqmommy 01-20-2010 09:52 PM

when you open libraries go to block library. there should be a little box that pops up with the different libraries in it. there should be four selections:
Center Blocks
Center Block Variations
Border Blocks

open the center block variations. open variations row H. there should be 2 H4's the bottom one is the one i printed out that is a foundation pattern

Thanks for all your help. I think I just figured out that when I select it, it saves to my sketchbook. Then, I can print from my sketchbook. Is that correct? or is there something I am missing? I am learning this software as I go.

you should be able to although i just select my blocks in the opening screen then figure out which one i want to print out and how i want to print it

I am still stuck. I can select the block, and it seems to store it in my sketchbook. I can't figure out how to print it.

You have to first hit "print patterns" on the picture on the left. Then go up to the menu and get to print. Once in there, you are asked what you want to print: Foundation, templates, block, etc. Choose which one you are using. If it's the triangle, remember to change the size to 5X8. If you are trying to print the foundation pattern, then you should also select "preview" so you can rearrange the various pieces to print out on one piece of paper (if possible, sometimes it's two). Then you click on "print" from that screen.

does that help?

edited: When in your sketchbook, you need to select the block, then select "edit" on the bottom of the little window that you are looking at. It will then put the block into a large pattern on the screen, and do your printing from there.

Esqmommy 01-20-2010 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my blocks - I had the most trouble with LS10, and mostly with the bottom row of it. I realize I have so much to learn. I put a fairly detailed tutorial on my blog - feel free to check it out or check out it's at quiltyaddict.blogspot.com, or you can check out the thatquilt blog for her method. It's similar to what I chose to do.

Most of my blocks are wonky this week. I may re-do, I may not. I did do a variation H4...just thought it would be easier. It didn't line up, so it may be a re-do on our week off.

I can post a few photos here of how I did the applique. I'll wait first to see if anyone asks for it, okay? no problem. let me know and I'll post the pix.

luvmortherest 01-20-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy

Center Blocks
Center Block Variations
Border Blocks

You have to first hit "print patterns" on the picture on the left. Then go up to the menu and get to print. Once in there, you are asked what you want to print: Foundation, templates, block, etc. Choose which one you are using. If it's the triangle, remember to change the size to 5X8. If you are trying to print the foundation pattern, then you should also select "preview" so you can rearrange the various pieces to print out on one piece of paper (if possible, sometimes it's two). Then you click on "print" from that screen.

does that help?

edited: When in your sketchbook, you need to select the block, then select "edit" on the bottom of the little window that you are looking at. It will then put the block into a large pattern on the screen, and do your printing from there.

beautiful blocks. i pm'd her and she pm'd back and i called her and talked her thru it so she is good to go

Esqmommy 01-20-2010 10:10 PM

Thanks Luv...that was my next move, so thanks for taking care of it!

Which leads me to think..if anyone wants to talk through a block, have a conversation about piecing or using the software (although I still have TONS to learn), I'm happy to help...you can call me or I can call you. Just send me a PM and I'll respond. During the day I'm at work, and don't check in so often...so if it's immediate, it might not happen.

retrogirl02 01-20-2010 10:18 PM

for those who have the software H4 abbey's eye variation block 2 can be paper pieced

I can't figure out how to PP it.
My software does not list that option.

If you use the template patterns and print twice, you'll be able to pp them. I did it tonight and was relatively happy with it until a blotch of orange showed up on my white background. Hope it's not my iron

:roll:

Esqmommy 01-20-2010 10:19 PM

You gotta get on that Retro!! Don't want your iron ruining all your hard work!

retrogirl02 01-20-2010 10:24 PM

Esqmommy,
I'm not sure if its in the fabric or it's the iron. I ruled out the ironing board because I stripped it and put on a new one. I don't want it to be the iron because I take so long in finding the perfect one but I REALLY don't want it to be the fabric LMAO...if I need to re-do, the practice will be good for me.

retrogirl02 01-20-2010 10:25 PM

Lovely blocks, eager beavers!!! Keep up the fantastic work.