Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   January 1, 2013 Whirling Start 2 - Photo's. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/january-1-2013-whirling-start-2-photos-t209786.html)

Andii 01-23-2013 05:41 PM

Nelco, I love the colors and fabrics in your block-very striking.

mimiknoxtaylor 01-23-2013 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by stampinteresa (Post 5808316)
I am so glad I am back on the quilting board. It has been several months after my dad's passing so I am looking forward to being back. I loved the photos so far. I may have to try one myself. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Teresa

Welcome back, Teresa. Losing your dad is difficult but quilting is great therapy for the grieving process :)

Msvelma 01-23-2013 10:29 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.

DeborahH 01-24-2013 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by lovngrandma (Post 5801890)
Hi Cajin, and Deborah, I to lived in LA all my child years from 4 to 17, first in New Iberia, Then in Loreauville, then moved to kansas Graduated High School, moved back to be wiht grandparents still living in Loreauville, married and had 3 kids, one born in New Iberia, 2 in Lafayette, we lived on the bayou, Teche,,,, still have soem faamily down there, we lost all we had with Hurricane Andrew, so moved back to kansas, oh man do i miss those crawfish boils, abd boudin, yum yum

Yes I miss the crawfish and boudin. We usually get some every time we go. We try and go during crawfish season and we always come back with boudin to put in the freezer. It doesn't stay there long though. We can't help ourselves.

DeborahH 01-24-2013 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Msvelma (Post 5804954)
Hi. I just joined Quilting Board from Louisiana. This is my attempt at the January BOM. I had trouble deciding on colors but I think these will work.

Love your block. The colors are great. Where are you in LA? I am from Baton Rouge. My parents are still there. I am new to quilting. I love seeing all the blocks but I'm scared to try it. I have never paper pieced.

SewExtremeSeams 01-24-2013 09:17 AM

Teresa, I am sorry to hear about losing your Dad. Mine passed away on December 21st.

Nelco and Kris, your blocks are so cool.

CAS49OR 01-24-2013 11:19 AM

Linda I love the colors of your block! So sorry you sprained your thumb!

Wow, Nelda, Your block is bold and bright! I love how your star really stands out. :thumbup:

I made a very pretty, almost perfect block with the batiks I bought. Trimmed it up and was ready to take a picture to share when I realized I had cut the seam allowance off the outside edge. :( So, I'll be making it again. I took four hours to carefully plan the colors and figure out where they go and make sure all the inner points and seams matched up perfectly.

Advice to all, if you are paper-piecing turn your block right side up and use your ruler to trim 1/4" from your outer points, do not rely on the printed pattern as you may have sewn or stretched a bit off. I found one side trimmed perfectly, two would maybe work, and one was cut right off the point, no way I could sew a seam to attach another block without cutting off the points of my star.

noahscats7 01-24-2013 02:48 PM

Your fabrics are wonderful.

2bsmurphy 01-24-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5805802)
On Sunday I got on a roll with my January block. Decided to quit for the night when I cut wrong line as I was pp. An hour later I tripped on a rug in my living room and sprained my right thumb badly. That joint already has arthritis pretty bad. I won't be be sewing, writing, rotary cutting or driving for a while. Sleeping last night was touch and go all night. Yikes. But, so far I am pleased with my section that I did finish.:D

I love your colors! Can't wait to see all four pieces together.

2bsmurphy 01-24-2013 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor (Post 5808292)
2bsmurphy, msvelma & sewextremeseams,
love all your blocks. Same pattern but what difference fabric makes!

Thank you, Mimiknoxtaylor!!! It was a fun block to do!!