Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   January 1, 2013 Whirling Start 2 - Photo's. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/january-1-2013-whirling-start-2-photos-t209786.html)

SewExtremeSeams 01-25-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR (Post 5810523)
Linda I love the colors of your block! So sorry you sprained your thumb!

Wow, Nelda, Your block is bold and bright! I love how your star really stands out. :thumbup:

I made a very pretty, almost perfect block with the batiks I bought. Trimmed it up and was ready to take a picture to share when I realized I had cut the seam allowance off the outside edge. :( So, I'll be making it again. I took four hours to carefully plan the colors and figure out where they go and make sure all the inner points and seams matched up perfectly.

Advice to all, if you are paper-piecing turn your block right side up and use your ruler to trim 1/4" from your outer points, do not rely on the printed pattern as you may have sewn or stretched a bit off. I found one side trimmed perfectly, two would maybe work, and one was cut right off the point, no way I could sew a seam to attach another block without cutting off the points of my star.

Thank you Cas. LOL (with you not at you) I did the very same thing (cutting off the outside seam allowance) when I had finished a second section of my block. LOL

Not sure if anyone else needs this tip but I figured out how I wanted to sew my fabrics to each section and then wrote within each section a slight description of which fabric, i.e. b/w swirl, pink, b/w large dots. I copied my plan on two sheets so I would have a copy to then copy more blocks if I wanted to. It helped me from getting all turned around. LOL I do seem to get turned around easily.

My thumb is almost all better. A little later today I am going to try rotary cutting. Just want to go slowly so I don't increase the swelling, plus, I want to sew!

Nelco 01-25-2013 09:58 AM

here is what I did to keep track of where what color went where. I color coded each fab them colored the paper front and back. Not all the way just enough so I would know what to put there. That helped me loads and it went together fast.

ludlowquiltandsew 01-25-2013 11:41 AM

My whirling star

1 Attachment(s)
I made this a sort of stash buster block with lots of different fabrics. I think that I've attached the photo.

wildyard 01-25-2013 12:07 PM

Very nice job Rose, did you PP or do it the other way? I totally love your background teals!!!

czpainter40 01-25-2013 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i just got back on the board and thought i would try the BOM so here is my attempt i guess i should have picked some more colors i may have to redo this one mine sure looks different. everyone's block look so good. Can't wait for the next one. Happy quilting everyone

jaba 01-25-2013 07:40 PM

Welcome back. I love your black and white. Looks awesome to me.

wildyard 01-26-2013 10:37 AM

czpainter, I think, if you made a whole quilt with your block, it would create a very striking pattern with the two colors of pinwheels.

SewExtremeSeams 01-26-2013 11:46 AM

Love your stashbuster block and your black and white block. Still blows my visual mind as to how many combinations can be made from this block in terms color arrangements and affect.

Roma Bauder 01-26-2013 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390899[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]390899[/ATTACH] Sorry about the double . My BOM for Jan

czpainter40 01-26-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 5815083)
czpainter, I think, if you made a whole quilt with your block, it would create a very striking pattern with the two colors of pinwheels.

Thanks I was thinking i was loosing one of my blades by going to the black it looks so different from all the others.