Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/judys-3rd-mystery-quilt-train-ride-t203100.html)

SunlitenSmiles 12-04-2012 06:39 AM

Judy, just so you know, ahead of time, in Costa Rica...... Christopher Columbus is

not a hero and neither is his brother.

You are going to have a great time there...oh, the fabrics...and the weavings !

Have a wonderful, wonderful time !

Shadowirish 12-04-2012 06:50 AM

Elsabrat.....maybe BIG broad diagonal stripes like the border?

paintmejudy 12-04-2012 08:00 AM

You guys are too too funny, this after-wrap chatter is way too much fun. Glad so many of you are sticking around and keeping in touch, I love it -- we are becoming like one big happy family!

whitepine 12-04-2012 08:25 AM

Wow. I am so impressed with all the final products. They are just beautiful. I love the mystery of it all and the opportunity to learn new techniques I would probably not have tried. I was on the first train and then in the observation car for the next two, but plan on being on board in February. Judy, your directions and photos are perfect and your patience is amazing. Hoorah for your trip to Costa Rica where you will have quite a surprise when several of us pop out of your suitcase, kind of like a popup book. I am just seeing all of our avatars unfolding out of your suitcase. LOL.

Caroline S 12-04-2012 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat (Post 5697179)
Well I would make a TERRIFIC roomie. I sleep almost all the time so you would never get sick of my chatter.. I could visit with all the pool boys for you so you would get a heads up you know on who brings the best drinks, who has the cuttest .. tuush and lets see I am an excellent food taster. Let me handle that and I speak spanish. so you see I could help you a ton on this trip without ever getting in the way unless you dont like the right side of the bed then we would have a problem.

Hey Elisabrat, I would make a good roomie too! Costa Rica is nice. My destination of choice is Belize, might re-retire there. My spanish would come back if I had to speak it. In Belize most people speak english. I can help you chatter with the pool boys.

The backing that I use on most of my quilts is Walmart bed sheets. Never have been disappointed with them. I usually buy a king size which gives me a lot of left overs for bindings and other small quilts. As I remember a king size sheet gives me about 9 yards of fabric for a little less than $2 a yard.

I still have to layout my blocks on the design wall again. Not sure at this point about my second mystery quilt (the purple with the red peppers) though. Somehow the color choices don't work well together. I have enough fabrics to do more blocks. the first one I really like.

I am anticipating our next Mystery Train ride. Thanks Judy for bringing us all together.

irishrose 12-04-2012 08:53 AM

Elizabrat, you can piece the back anyway you want except 18 1/2" squares and your SITD will be fine. You're right - lining the squares up would be difficult. I would just do wide bands of color across - like mixed 8, 10 and 12 inches wide. I did that with my baby quilt and it looked good.

dungeonquilter 12-04-2012 11:33 AM

I am hoping to get back to this mystery this weekend. Still have to cut the strips up from the last clue. Had a couple of quilts to get the binding on interrupt me. One is done, and the second is almost done.
I have really enjoyed riding along on this train. It has been such fun to read everyone's posts and see all the different results. I haven't seen one I didn't like.

sewNso 12-04-2012 06:05 PM

I was really happy with How my mystery quilt finished up. and i did another binding tonite with diagonal connections. and even managed to sew the finishing two ends together on the diagonal. i think it helped, that i tend to always undercut the number of strips i need to reach all the way around my quilt. and this time also, i had to cut, and then connect one more strip, and so i got to practice just connecting. and remembered watching a tut a loooonnng time ago about touching and marking where the final ends would connect. it worked like a charm. thx again . love this board.

sewNso 12-04-2012 06:08 PM

i thought i had lost the last post. no , i didn't. nite, nite, i'm pooped.

Elisabrat 12-05-2012 07:28 AM

Today is my lucky put it all together and laughing yes I have the stripes to add for some reason my mind cramped on that. sometimes you feel like a nut.. sometimes you are..

I think I am not getting off the train everyone. i would starve to death so here I stay with good company, good food and drink and well oodles of fabric. I think everyone should stay. posting pic later today a goal is a goal :)