Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/just-takes-2-quilt-along-t175140.html)

Caroline S 01-29-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 4923467)
Ok - I was able to finish ONE block today. I had to iron and starch my background fabrics (I have 6 yards each of 4 different white on cream prints that I had to sub-cut into workable sizes for the project - these were purchased for "stash" at the bargain price of $2.00/yard in Paducah last year. FINALLY able to use them!!). I also sorted some of my scrap pile into a usable "bunch", then sorted by color and ironed most of it.

I don't have any freezer paper in the house so the circles and hearts were out of the question today. From the remaining blocks I decided on #4 because the first piece of scrap I picked up was 12" long and perfect for those 4.5" by 1.5" rectangles.

So because I only have one block to show for today's effort, I'll show you the front and the back :)

FYI - this is my first group project and I just found out about it today and joined on a whim. It's also my first "mystery" quilt. And my first "scrappy".

Oops ... need to resize those pic's. Be right back!! OK - that's better!

Sue

What??? All that in one day? You are amazing. All I have done is to collect my fabrics and cut the first blocks.

Anael 01-30-2012 12:59 AM

That's a beautiful block doghousemom and quite an achievement in one day!

brookemarie19 01-30-2012 05:56 AM

Great job doghousemom! I know you will love this quilt when its done. This is my second mystery quilt as I am still in the process of finishing quiltville's Orca bay mystery and have to say that it is definitely fun when the end comes and you get to see the final plan.

Everyone, I have a question for you... I was thinking about doing the embroidery, but was wondering what your thoughts would be for the thread color. As you guys know I am using cream and black and thought if I used a different color is would give it a little splash to it, but then again I think maybe I should just go on the safe side and do black... Maybe gold? I just can't decide. Also, before I go and buy the patterns for those... what kind of stitching do you think she is using? I want to make sure I can stitch like that before spending the money lol. Thanks for your inputs guys.

pamesue 01-30-2012 06:27 AM

Sounds like fun...I will join in on this...now to go look for some fabric....(from my stash)

Anael 01-30-2012 06:39 AM

Brooke, I think it depends on how you want to use your quilt. I can imagine gold thread wouldn't be that nice if you have to wash it often. I would go with black embroidery. The embroidery in the first set is stem stitch. Here's a tut: http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10...rial-stem.html

NDQuilts 01-30-2012 06:59 AM

Brooke: gold metallic is difficult to use as it shreads and does not hold up to hard wear. It you are looking at third colors, perhaps red or fuscia? It would immediately draw to eye to the embroidery. If you want it to blend rather than be the focal point, then I'd go black.

DoriDeS 01-30-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 4924824)
Brooke, I think it depends on how you want to use your quilt. I can imagine gold thread wouldn't be that nice if you have to wash it often. I would go with black embroidery. The embroidery in the first set is stem stitch. Here's a tut: http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10...rial-stem.html

Well how cool is this needlenthread site you posted thanks Anael :o)

DogHouseMom 01-30-2012 01:57 PM

Thanks all ... I actually did get another block finished last night after I posted, but it barely counts as it's only the little 6.5" aqure in a square. I'll wait until I have more blocks done and post them all together.

I won't be doing any tonight though!! Vet appt. Ich.

victoriaplum 01-31-2012 05:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yippee! My fabric arrived yesterday so I have started! I have done the first four but still have a ways to go to catch up, if only work didn't get in the way...
I have another question. Or a pondering... How is everyone storing/keeping track of the blocks as they go along? I have the printed pages in a plastic pocket file & have started putting the finished blocks in the pocket with each pattern, like so:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]307764[/ATTACH]
But this only works for the blocks that are smaller than 8". So if anyone has any good filing systems I'd love to see them!!! I'm thinking by the end of the year there will be lots to keep track of so it's better to start straight away!

NDQuilts 01-31-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by victoriaplum (Post 4928112)
Yippee! My fabric arrived yesterday so I have started! I have done the first four but still have a ways to go to catch up, if only work didn't get in the way...
I have another question. Or a pondering... How is everyone storing/keeping track of the blocks as they go along? I have the printed pages in a plastic pocket file & have started putting the finished blocks in the pocket with each pattern, like so:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]307764[/ATTACH]
But this only works for the blocks that are smaller than 8". So if anyone has any good filing systems I'd love to see them!!! I'm thinking by the end of the year there will be lots to keep track of so it's better to start straight away!

Perhaps Ill be the most unorganised. I have my blocks, fabric , patterns ets shoved into a plastic bin. I think that we will be getting instructions every three months to assemble a quarter of the quilt. I'm hoping thats the case. I never contemplated having to dig through a pile to find the correct blocks to set together. Yikes! Perhaps I need to be a bit more deliberate.