Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/just-takes-2-quilt-along-t175140.html)

victoriaplum 02-25-2012 03:13 AM

Thankyou! *blushes* But I should admit to hand piecing the y seams - I foundation paper pieced the centre then with the outside triangles I ironed the freezer paper on, pressed the seam allowances back then just laid it on top & hand slip stitched it down. So like hand appliqué I guess, just on the 2 sides. It was really easy to get it flat with all the points in the right place that was. 144 blocks into my English paper pieced dear Jane I guess I'm a pro at hand piecing these days :-) still haven't done turkey tracks I got distracted, but only a few days til more new blocks! Yay!

Anael 02-25-2012 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5005061)
I just finished cutting a bunch of the colored blocks for the geese in broken heart and I said to myself ... why is it telling me to cut TWELVE squares then cut each of the 12 on the diagonal for the geese when there are TWELVE geese? I only need to cut 6 squares!! Each square cut on the diag is plenty big for the geese.fortunately I only cut 7 squares when I caught the error.

I cut as I go if that's the correct phrase. I use the foundation to measure the pieces I have to cut, not the directions given.
Now I get a very weird message: my answer was too short and won't be posted??? I never saw that before!

hex nut 02-25-2012 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5005363)
Cutting directions for block 17 really screwy

Background (white)
Step D is ALL wrong. It's not only cutting rectangles for the "sky" of the geese, but it's also repeating the rectangles for the center that were already cut in step C.

Step D should read
Cut twelve 1.75" squares then cut each on the diagonal for the "sky" of the geese. If you prefer to cut it larger and whack it off, then make the squares 2".

And the directions for the colored (red) as I mentioned earlier, step C has you cutting twelve 2.25" squares then cutting each on the diagonal. You only need to cut six.

I'm also assuming by the size of the other blocks (all in multiples of 3" finished size) that this block FINISHES to 9" which means I when I'm done piecing it I need to have a 9.5" block.

I think I need to start checking their blog to see if they are posting corrections.

** They have changed the diagram for this block in the instructions! **

The first version had *red* geese flying in a band of white.

If you download it now, the geese are *white* and the band and the
background are red. This makes more sense with the cutting
instructions - however step D still has you cut 16 rectangles instead of 12.

The pictures they posted on dear jane and sentimental stitches show the new version.

DogHouseMom 02-25-2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by hex nut (Post 5007839)
** They have changed the diagram for this block in the instructions! **

The first version had *red* geese flying in a band of white.

If you download it now, the geese are *white* and the band and the
background are red. This makes more sense with the cutting
instructions - however step D still has you cut 16 rectangles instead of 12.

The pictures they posted on dear jane and sentimental stitches show the new version.

Gotcha. I think one of the QB members (the one doing her's in purples) downloaded the newer version because I noticed her geese were the opposite color. I thought she switched it as a preference.

Anael 02-25-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5005363)
Cutting directions for block 17 really screwy

I think I need to start checking their blog to see if they are posting corrections.

I've checked the Dear Jane site and downloaded the patterns again. The Broken Heart block has been corrected but it still isn't right!!! So check the pattern and cutting instructions before starting to cut! You don't need 16 background rectangles, you only need 12 as you have already cut the rectangles for the center in step C.

I don't understand why they change the pictures and pattern without telling.

Did you see the Turkey Tracks block still doesn't have the tracks on it on the Dear Jane site? :rolleyes:

DogHouseMom 02-26-2012 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've finished group 4. Pic of all of them below. This was not a fun group for me. Pine Burr gave me nightmares with those weird angle Y seams, Broken Heart had quite a few cutting errors in the pattern (I used the original version - note my geese are green not white), and I modified the basket to fit my "image" of what I wanted. I'll post a close up of the basket and a brief of what I did in the next post. Ok. On to group 5 in a few days!

DogHouseMom 02-26-2012 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Basket block.

My way of thinking ... baskets should have flowers in them.

I had a pretty floral that would have been perfect IF the opening at the top was a little larger. I could do that by eliminating the 2nd (top) row of triangles. So I sewed the bottom of the basket and the one row of triangles. Then using that section I measured it against a 9.5" square ruler to get the size I needed to re-draw the top portion to make the basket handle extend further and give me a larger area for the flowers.

I also wanted the flowers to drop down over the lip of the basket. I had to back the floral print with muslin. I then basted the modified top half of the basket to the bottom half - checked it for size and position, and I inserted two straight pins into the edge of the flowers where I was going to cut the floral piece and "drop it down". I then picked out my basting stitches in-between the two pins - cut my floral fabric and pulled it up and out of the way, then resewed the top and bottom together this time only the muslin backing was sewn to the bottom of the basket (the reason I needed the muslin backing was so that *something* would get seamed properly to the basket piece in the middle section and I didn't want a seam running through my flowers").

I then fussy cut around the portion of the flowers that I wanted to hang over the edge of the basket and FMQ the edges with clear poly thread.

My only mistake was that I should have removed the paper BEFORE I FMQ'ed the edges of the flowers - would have made getting the paper off MUCH easier.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Last week I had to go to my LQS to pick up a bobbin case and found this "basket weave" batik. HOW PERFECT!! So this was (so far) my only purchase for this project. Everything else is from mostly scraps, some from stash FQ's.

Here's a close up of the basket. I really like the results. Depending on how this whole project shakes out ... I might add corner triangles to this piece so the basket sits straight up. I almost can't bear to set it sideways :)

victoriaplum 02-26-2012 07:10 AM

wowsers. that is so so so pretty! & so creative. I agree about setting the basket on point, it seems a shame to tip it over with the flowers in it. I was actually wondering if they aren't going to have us set them all on point in the end, I can't remember where, it might've been in the instructions or on one of the sites, but I'm sure I read something about the broken hearts block looking good when set on point & thought maybe it was a hint! Maybe I'm overthinking it though : )
Good work doghousemom!!!

DogHouseMom 02-26-2012 08:06 AM

Victoria thanks!

You know I hadn't thought about setting them ALL on point but that's probably best instead of adding side tri's to the basket only. Although ... the side tri's would give me lots of empty space for some pretty quilting.

I'm overthinking it too!

Anael 02-26-2012 09:39 AM

Doghousemom, your basket is gorgeous! You're so right, this one should be on point! Your turkey tracks are right on point too! Lovely!

I still have to do Broken Heart and applique the tracks of the turkey :( Can't bring myself to do so!