Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/orca-bay-mystery-quilt-along-t168935.html)

Sadiemae 11-22-2011 01:32 PM

Looks Great!

COYOTEMAGIC 11-22-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 4710379)
Ladies,
Let me do some background here. This past summer I "acquired" my 86 year old mother-in-law's 50 years stash. ....

50 YEARS OF STASH??!!! oh geez, we need a drooling smiley!!

I think your MIL would be very pleased with the pattern you've chose for one of those 23 quilts. Love your selections!!!!

Foxflower 11-22-2011 04:13 PM

We should all take pictures of our color stacks when we make quilts. What a way to step back and see how they look. For instance, Sheri, look at your stack of brown. See the one that is really more blue? Maybe you'll want to use that as one of you teals. And in the pink stack....the one with the black background is really contrasting with the pinks. The rest look awesome and would be great together. What a wonderful windfall to get all those fabrics. Have fun playing!

I'm subscribed to this thread and printed Bonnie's directions, but I'm going to lurk (and probably comment occasioanlly) for now. I really have to make 2 other quilts first. Plus some other stuff. I do love quilt alongs though.

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 4710379)
Ladies,
Let me do some background here. This past summer I "acquired" my 86 year old mother-in-law's 50 years stash. The intent is to use it to make her grandchildren(23) quilts from grandma. So I would REALLY like to use this project as one of her quilts, so I don't want to purchase a stitch. Just use what I have of hers. Here's what I pulled from my cupboards. pinks/teal/brown/creamishes....It wont let me upload my pink/teal....

JudyG 11-22-2011 04:25 PM

Awesome stash, Sheri. My problem (other than not being at home right now) is that half of my stash is in Washington and half is in Arizona. I will be making this quilt in Arizona, and I can guarantee you, that most of the fabrics I would like to use will be the ones waiting for me in Washington. Seems to be the way it always is, I never have the right fabrics in the right place. Oh well, a shopping trip next week, I bet.

pjnesler 11-22-2011 05:18 PM

I've saved the instructions - need to start soon, have all my fab ready...but MUST finish the quilting project I've got set up first ooooooooo I hate to be behind :(

SheriR 11-22-2011 08:22 PM

Foxflower, Thank you and you're right about the pink/black. The one you call blue is actually showing the wrong side. It's more brown/black. Not an attractive fabric. But who will know in a 1 inch piece?? HA HA

This is the first I've cut into MIL's stash. It makes me really nervous. But I've got a lot to finish, and non of us (MIL) are getting any younger.....

I couldn't wait until next week though and I've gone ahead and cut 1-1/2 inch strips of the browns and most the creams. Then I made 4 QTS? I found, what I thought was 1/4 inch seam is more, so, two of my squares are 1/4 small.... I sewed the next ones a "scant" 1/4 inch and viola??? perfect... Good thing too. I've cut a lot of MIL's browns into the 1-1/2" strips....

I also think I need to find some FASTER to make quilts for some of these 23 quilts.... I'll never finish them if I take weeks. Lap size is good. This mystery quilt will be one of the larger ones I make for all her grandchildren.

The two pics I posted are just the pink/teal/brown/cream part of the stash I'm working with. I have 6 - four foot cupboards of material from her. although some of it is large pieces to use for boarders and backings.

Thank you all, and have a GREAT Thanksgiving. We're going North =)

Foxflower 11-23-2011 08:38 AM

Ahh, I see. Well, if you hate the front, use the back! :D 23 quilts is definitely quite a few. Even at one a month that would be 2 years in the making. Good thing there are lots of beautiful and simple patterns. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 4711714)
Foxflower, Thank you and you're right about the pink/black. The one you call blue is actually showing the wrong side. It's more brown/black. Not an attractive fabric. But who will know in a 1 inch piece?? HA HA

This is the first I've cut into MIL's stash. It makes me really nervous. But I've got a lot to finish, and non of us (MIL) are getting any younger.....

I couldn't wait until next week though and I've gone ahead and cut 1-1/2 inch strips of the browns and most the creams. Then I made 4 QTS? I found, what I thought was 1/4 inch seam is more, so, two of my squares are 1/4 small.... I sewed the next ones a "scant" 1/4 inch and viola??? perfect... Good thing too. I've cut a lot of MIL's browns into the 1-1/2" strips....

I also think I need to find some FASTER to make quilts for some of these 23 quilts.... I'll never finish them if I take weeks. Lap size is good. This mystery quilt will be one of the larger ones I make for all her grandchildren.

The two pics I posted are just the pink/teal/brown/cream part of the stash I'm working with. I have 6 - four foot cupboards of material from her. although some of it is large pieces to use for boarders and backings.

Thank you all, and have a GREAT Thanksgiving. We're going North =)

Char 11-23-2011 09:01 AM

Orca Bay quilt

I'm in, but haven't started yet. I have Triangulations and plan to look into using that.
Charlotte in Arizona

COYOTEMAGIC 11-23-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 4711714)

A fast Lap quilt pattern that I use a lot is the Yellow Brick Road. 6 fat quarters and a yard of boarder fabric--DONE!! I'm also working on a Disappearing 9 Patch that was really easy too.

JeanieG 11-23-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Char (Post 4713328)
I'm in, but haven't started yet. I have Triangulations and plan to look into using that.
Charlotte in Arizona

I used Triangulations - it works great! I did use some strips also, and did them with the Companion Angle Ruler. Be sure to check how you sew the ones with the Companion Angle Ruler......I sewed on the light color side as Bonnie said to do......wrong!!!! I had to unsew a bunch! The light color fabric was on the right when using Triangulations - the light was on the left with the Companion Angle - sewing both on the light side of the fabric. Hope that makes sense!