Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

BATIKQLTR 01-12-2011 05:26 PM

quilts4fun......I LOVE your fabrics!!

Obsessed 01-12-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
quilts4fun......I LOVE your fabrics!!

Ditto! Great fabrics!

Jupiter 01-13-2011 12:09 AM

I don't have my book right here to look in, but the yardage is listed in a side column in the first pages of the book. It says that a half yard of 8 fabrics would be right for making the 6" blocks.

I figured that to enlarge the blocks from 6" to 12" is actually 4 X the square inches. (4 six inch squares fit into a 12 inch square). I bought 2 yard cuts of 8 fabrics, then added a couple more choices.

That's my best guess.

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by mdmavis
Question???? If I make my blocks 12.5" how much more fabric will I need? I have looked in the book and I can not locate the yardage. Mavis

Jupiter 01-13-2011 12:13 AM

You are welcome. I am so happy to have friends to go through the book with.

I am going to "Road to California" Quilt Festival next week (it runs January 20-23). Penny Haren is teaching classes there. I didn't sign up for any, but am thinking about peeking in her door and saying "hi". Anyone else going to be there?

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by quilts4fun
Jupiter, I forgot to say thank you for doing this.

Jupiter 01-13-2011 12:15 AM

I am glad you are having fun. Nice way to play, isn't it!

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
Thanks for posting the instructions for 12 and a half inch blocks.

I have my first weeks done and am working on this weeks. Hopefully can post this afternoon.

This is definitely not boring!!! I hope to learn so much from this group. I haven't appliqued before........so will need the week to probablly rip out and start over several times. LOL

quilts4fun 01-13-2011 02:59 PM

These fabrics have been in my stash for 2 or 3 years. They have just been waiting to come out and play.

Jupiter 01-13-2011 08:15 PM

Isn't it fun when something in your stash finally is the perfect one for a new project? Nice...

Jupiter

Furza Flyin 01-14-2011 12:11 PM

SIGH... I am having some problems and need some advise please.

1. When I use my white, washable glue stick I am having trouble getting it out of my fabric. I soaked it in warm water and ended up using a scrubbie sponge and tide to get out the extra residue. Any suggestions?

2. I cannot get my "set on point foundation block to come out even. I have tried it several times, cutting in stacks and single thicknesses of fabric. I have even drawn 1/4 in sewing lines and SCREAM. STOMP STOMP STOMP.... WHINE WHINE white wine white wine white wine. Its still off by enough to look really bad.

Thank you,
Eliz

quilts4fun 01-14-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter
Isn't it fun when something in your stash finally is the perfect one for a new project? Nice...

Jupiter

It sure is. :D

Obsessed 01-14-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
SIGH... I am having some problems and need some advise please.

1. When I use my white, washable glue stick I am having trouble getting it out of my fabric. I soaked it in warm water and ended up using a scrubbie sponge and tide to get out the extra residue. Any suggestions?

2. I cannot get my "set on point foundation block to come out even. I have tried it several times, cutting in stacks and single thicknesses of fabric. I have even drawn 1/4 in sewing lines and SCREAM. STOMP STOMP STOMP.... WHINE WHINE white wine white wine white wine. Its still off by enough to look really bad.

Thank you,
Eliz

Oh no! I don't have any advice yet - I haven't gotten far enough along to try to get any glue out - and I won't start this week's foundation blocks until the weekend - but I did want to send you a big hug! How frustrating! I hate it when things seem harder than you think they should be. There are some who have done a few of the blocks already, so hopefully you'll get some good advice soon!