Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

Deecee 01-09-2011 11:32 PM

I like the greens with it myself.

QuiltingHiker 01-10-2011 04:10 AM

Yes the greens look nice with the brighter oranges.

mdmavis 01-10-2011 05:52 AM

I love the green, I think you colors a beautiful. I have a question for you. Week 2 your second block what page is that one on? I've seen it done by others and I can't find that one, or I'm not doing one the correct way. Thank you
Mavis

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Great job Karla! I love your fabrics.

Here are my blocks for week 2. I've also included a picture of a bunch of my foundation blocks together because I need your opinions. I'm not sure about the greens. Do they look like they belong? I'm not sure that I like them with the warmer colors, but I"m afraid my quilt will be too monochromatic without them. Besides the greens I have only red, orange, brown and yellow. What do you think? Should I include the green?

Obsessed 01-10-2011 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by mdmavis
I love the green, I think you colors a beautiful. I have a question for you. Week 2 your second block what page is that one on? I've seen it done by others and I can't find that one, or I'm not doing one the correct way. Thank you
Mavis

OK, so the green stays! I don't know why I was having second thoughts about it. Hopefully I will like it better once the blocks are finished with the applique. I will stay the course.

Mavis, I'm at work so I don't have the book with me, but that block is the first block foundation that uses HSTs. Jupiter posted a schedule on page 1 that has us working just the foundation blocks for the first 3 weeks to get used to Penny Haren's techniques. Some of us are just doing the foundation techniques (see Karla's HST's above), but I wanted to go ahead and do the full foundation block that I will use when we get to that week. None of my blocks have any of the applique yet though. You probably don't recognize the block because it is missing the applique that the final block has. If I remember right, the block is called Prosperity? If nobody else confirms, I'll get the page number for you when I get home tonight.

And - I like your block up above! I think you did a great job! Are those the fabrics you plan to use or was it a practice block?

Irene V 01-10-2011 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mdmavis
Mavis

OK, so the green stays! I don't know why I was having second thoughts about it. Hopefully I will like it better once the blocks are finished with the applique. I will stay the course.

Mavis, I'm at work so I don't have the book with me, but that block is the first block foundation that uses HSTs. Jupiter posted a schedule on page 1 that has us working just the foundation blocks for the first 3 weeks to get used to Penny Haren's techniques. Some of us are just doing the foundation techniques (see Karla's HST's above), but I wanted to go ahead and do the full foundation block that I will use when we get to that week. None of my blocks have any of the applique yet though. You probably don't recognize the block because it is missing the applique that the final block has. If I remember right, the block is called Prosperity? If nobody else confirms, I'll get the page number for you when I get home tonight.

And - I like your block up above! I think you did a great job! Are those the fabrics you plan to use or was it a practice block?

Yes, the block is called Prosperity. And, I like the green in your blocks.

mdmavis 01-10-2011 09:42 AM

That fabric is scrap. Thanks
Mavis

QuiltingHiker 01-11-2011 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I was not happy with the blocks, so I changed out a couple of things, especially my 6" blk. This is what I have to date and am happy with them. That's it until next week.

First 8 Foundation Blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158121[/ATTACH]

quilts4fun 01-11-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker
Okay, I was not happy with the blocks, so I changed out a couple of things, especially my 6" blk. This is what I have to date and am happy with them. That's it until next week.

They are gorgeous. Love the colors you picked.

mdmavis 01-11-2011 01:20 PM

Beautiful.

Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker

QuiltingHiker 01-11-2011 02:11 PM

Great job Karla! I love your fabrics.

Here are my blocks for week 2. I've also included a picture of a bunch of my foundation blocks together because I need your opinions. I'm not sure about the greens. Do they look like they belong? I'm not sure that I like them with the warmer colors, but I"m afraid my quilt will be too monochromatic without them. Besides the greens I have only red, orange, brown and yellow. What do you think? Should I include the green?

Did you make up your own version of these blocks or am I missing something???