Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

quilts4fun 01-30-2011 04:12 PM

Obsessed and Jupiter, your blocks are both beautiful. I just got my templates ready today...will try to do some stitching this evening. I won't be able to post pictures for awhile. My computer had a heart attack and died. I can use DHs but not sure how to upload pics on his. Have fun everybody.

Furza Flyin 01-30-2011 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is! The stiching you can see is basting. I will be hand quilting it next week.

kwiltkrazy 01-30-2011 06:07 PM

Furza Flying you're going to do quilt as you go? Love your block, look latin

Obsessed 01-30-2011 08:08 PM

Jupiter - great looking block! I love how your little daisies seem to be peeking in through the window.

Furzaflyin, great job! I love your fabrics - so cute! And your block looks really nice nestled into that star block.

Can't wait to see more! Hint, hint...

Furza Flyin 01-30-2011 08:47 PM

Kwiltkrazy, Yes, I am going to quilt as I go.

Obsessed, thank you. I cant wait to do more. I had these fabrics from a previous craft project. I love the bright colors and some of the small scraps are from the nursery set I made my daugters. I am able to do alot of fussy cutting because of the patterns.

IE pulling out the paper. I have a small art brush and a babyfood jar with full strength starch. I glue on the paper piece, then lightly brush on some starch and iron the edges in. It drys instantly when ironed and the edges stay in place when I pull off the paperpiece. I then glue the ironed paperless piece of fabric to the foundation block. I then baste it.

Deecee 01-31-2011 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.

I have hand sewn each layer down separately - time consuming and I am not sure if it is necessary - will wait for others opinions to decide. I felt I needed to make sure it would stay together but a line of stay-stitching within the outer seam allowance would do that.

I did not do a lot of glueing and popped my templates out before stitching so I did not have to soak the finished block.

I don't normally use black and am having a bit of difficulty keeping it lint free. :thumbdown: This may influence the amount of black I continue to use.

Laura's Cathedral Window
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149031[/ATTACH]

quilts4fun 01-31-2011 01:50 PM

Fruza Flyin and Deecee your blocks are so pretty.

Is anyone cutting some of the layers away?

Deecee 01-31-2011 02:06 PM

I was wondering the same thing about cutting away the layers. At this stage I haven't.

I was looking back through this thread at everyone's fabric and there is such a lovely variety that I'm looking forward to seeing some wonderful blocks. The colour and pattern combinations that have been posted so far are just beautiful.

Obsessed 01-31-2011 02:23 PM

Nice Deecee! I love the fussy cut foundation!

kwiltkrazy 01-31-2011 02:26 PM

DeeCee, that is wonderful, can't wait to see the other blocks. Your colors are wonderful.