Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

Obsessed 02-15-2011 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
I have been home from work today waiting for a shower screen to be installed. It is 3.30 p.m. and no sign of anyone as yet! :thumbdown:

On the good side though, I have spent the day sewing my block, Rosellen's Cross.

I have to say that I did not particularly like the pic of Penny H's block in the book, but after seeing Obsessed's different choice of fabrics and thinking about my choices, I have now decided it wasn't the block as much as Penny's choice of fabrics that didn't appeal.

Here is my Rosellen's Cross.

Great job! Love it!

I have to agree with you about the fabrics used for the block in the book. Looks a little jumbly - hard to tell what's what!

keelybird57 02-15-2011 04:42 AM

DeeCee, Your block is very, very pretty!

kwiltkrazy 02-15-2011 10:28 AM

Oh DC that is so striking, I love the choices you made with yiour fabric. Wow.

Deecee 02-15-2011 01:50 PM

Thanks everyone.

I must say my 6" block has so many layers it could stand upright on its own and there isn't much useable fabric that you can cut out.

That's where Jupiter's 12" blocks have the advantage over the 6".

Looking forward to seeing more fabric choices for this one.

marciacp 02-15-2011 03:03 PM

Thanks everyone.

I must say my 6" block has so many layers it could stand upright on its own and there isn't much useable fabric that you can cut out.

Deecee,
I haven't started actually sewing my blocks yet (decided
to cut a number of them out first), but I was afraid this
would happen. I really want to trim the excess, but now
I'm wondering if I will be able to.
Have a Blessed Day!
Marcia

Deecee 02-15-2011 10:51 PM

Marcia, I don't think you will have a problem actually trimming the excess out but what comes out would be mainly small and odd shapes - not very useable apart from a few larger pieces. (Though I suppose useable depends on what size scraps you save and use.)

I also wonder if they would press up nice and flat if I had lots of little sections cut out of the back on multiple layers. There are quite a few blocks that are made up of anywhere between 20 - 37 pieces. If anyone has trimmed out Rosellen's Cross or any of the blocks which have more layers and smaller pieces, I would welcome their feedback.

Obsessed 02-16-2011 03:31 AM

Marcia, I don't think you will have a problem actually trimming the excess out but what comes out would be mainly small and odd shapes - not very useable apart from a few larger pieces. (Though I suppose useable depends on what size scraps you save and use.)

I also wonder if they would press up nice and flat if I had lots of little sections cut out of the back on multiple layers. There are quite a few blocks that are made up of anywhere between 20 - 37 pieces. If anyone has trimmed out Rosellen's Cross or any of the blocks which have more layers and smaller pieces, I would welcome their feedback.

I trimmed the back of Rosellen's Cross because I could see the outline of the orange pieces showing through behind the white pieces. I think it helped it to lay flatter too since the layers were different shapes, which made it a little bumpy.

Deecee 02-16-2011 04:06 AM

Interested to hear your trimming results, Obsessed.

I have to admit I have been too chicken to trim as yet. Put scissors in my hand and I'm a danger to anything nearby. I have a compulsion to trim, then trim a bit more.....

marciacp 02-16-2011 02:12 PM

I'm one of those quilters that doesn't really save scraps,
as in little pieces. For one thing, once I have used a fabric/fabrics in a quilt I don't like using them in another quilt. (I don't like watching a movie or a TV show more
than once either :D ). I guess I'm odd, but it wouldn't bother me at all to trim the excess and do away with it.
(I can already hear some of you screaming at your
computer screen reading this - so sorry :cry: !
Have a Blessed Day!
Marcia

keelybird57 02-16-2011 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is done for the week. It's rather busy and I am not fond of the creamy yellow pieces. Light blue would have been a better choice. But I'm happy with how it went together.