Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

keelybird57 01-30-2011 09:11 AM

OooH! Great to know! Thanks!!

Jupiter 01-30-2011 10:16 AM

Getting the paper out was easy... just not fast. I soaked my block over an hour to be sure the glue was gone. Then I layed it flat on a towel until the next day to be sure it was dry. Then the paper snapped out in whole sections. I tried to take some out when it was only half dry and the paper shreaded out in pieces. I thought it was a lot better waiting until they were dry all the way. Either way, wet or dry, it was not a hard or time consumming thing to do.

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by keelybird57
Thanks, Linda for sharing the chart. It will be very helpful.

Lara, your block is lovely! Have you removed the paper yet? That part of the process worries me.

Judy

Jupiter 01-30-2011 10:19 AM

Hi Obsessed....

You have the distinction of being our #1 first poster of Laura's Cathedral Window. Congratulations! It is a beautiful block. I'll get my camera going and post mine soon. This is a fun technique and I am so-o-o glad we are attacking it together!

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by Obsessed
OK - here is my block #1 - Laura's Cathedral Window. I hand stitched it. The directions said to glue everything down before stitching the applique, so that is what I did - I only stitched what was visible and then I tacked the corners so it wouldn't flop around. :lol: I think next time I will stitch down each layer before gluing the next. I don't think it really matters though, because I plan to sash and quilt these blocks into a wall hanging and that will keep them secure.

Anyway, this went together much easier than I thought it would - although it was time consuming for a 6 inch block! I had fun and I'm pleased with how it came out!

Jupiter 01-30-2011 10:22 AM

We are getting a new member. Watch for fromzstore to check in. She PM'd me last night and is ordering the book.

hugs, Jup

kwiltkrazy 01-30-2011 10:56 AM

Oh so exciting. Your first block is gorgeous. Keep posting, really enjoying seeing the blocks.

Furza Flyin 01-30-2011 10:58 AM

I will be posting my pic this afternoon, unless someone can tell me how to post from facebook since I am on the road.

Jupiter 01-30-2011 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my "Laura's Cathederal Window." You can't see it on the photo, but the daisy in the center, I thread painted over the daisy print. That adds a bit of texture, but you have to really look closely to see it.

If you are making the 12.5" blocks, you need to consider how you will print out the templates. I first tried taking the online templates and printing them out at 200%. They were bigger, but not the correct size. Don't ask me why, but they just weren't right.

Next I put the online templates into Adobe Photoshop Elements and I printed them at 200% from there. They came out perfect! I didn't change anything or stress over it. I simply printed from Adobe at 200% and they were right.

hugs, Jupiter

12.5" block - start with 12.5" foundation square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72208[/ATTACH]

kwiltkrazy 01-30-2011 11:39 AM

Beautiful block Jupiter. Your colors are fantastic together.

keelybird57 01-30-2011 11:53 AM

Very pretty, Jupiter!

Furza Flyin 01-30-2011 12:24 PM

:D