Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

Irene V 02-06-2011 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Everyone's blocks are coming out so beautiful! I'm so glad we all decided to do these blocks. Here's my Patrick's Spotlight. I'm doing my applique by machine so I'm not having that "layer" problems that some are having with the hand applique. The center ended up with a little irregular shape but I guess that will add the the charm of my block, right?

kwiltkrazy 02-06-2011 12:00 PM

Irene: another beautiful block. Your colors are so rich.

fromzstore 02-06-2011 03:01 PM

When you are machine appliquéing do you have to soak your block after each layer to get the paper off before going to the next layer or will it just pull out and the stitch the next layer and soak at the end

Irene V 02-06-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by fromzstore
When you are machine appliquéing do you have to soak your block after each layer to get the paper off before going to the next layer or will it just pull out and the stitch the next layer and soak at the end

I quit gluing my papers. It was making it too hard to remove so I've been using the template as a pattern to cut out the pieces, then I pin the pieces in place prior to sewing them onto the block (no glue, no paper to remove). It's working for me.

Obsessed 02-06-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by fromzstore

The book says to stitch each layer and then soak and remove the paper before placing and stitching the next layer. Otherwise you would catch the paper in your stitches and it would be impossible to remove. That is one of the reasons why I am hand sewing. Since I'm not stitching all the way through like I would with the machine, all of the paper slips right out at the end once I soak the glue off.

Obsessed 02-06-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Irene V
Everyone's blocks are coming out so beautiful! I'm so glad we all decided to do these blocks. Here's my Patrick's Spotlight. I'm doing my applique by machine so I'm not having that "layer" problems that some are having with the hand applique. The center ended up with a little irregular shape but I guess that will add the the charm of my block, right?

Pretty! A very charming block.

Obsessed 02-06-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Oh, Obsessed that is outstanding, I love it. Looks perfect.

Kwiltkrazy - thank you for checking in with us and giving us all so much encouragement!

kwiltkrazy 02-06-2011 04:22 PM

I'm just drooling, wishing I were there having this fun. I definitely am going to get this book. You're welcome, and thank you guys for doing this I am really enjoying it.

fromzstore 02-07-2011 05:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just finished my first block

kwiltkrazy 02-07-2011 09:01 AM

Fromzstore that is beautiful.