Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Pony Club Thread 3 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/pony-club-thread-3-a-t311462.html)

carriem 06-24-2020 11:20 AM

Hello Jan! Good to "see" you again. :) I still look at our block swap quilts and think of each of you who participated.

So...I am working on cutting patterns for the new FW Medallion quilt and like to pre-measure for cutting my fabrics for the paper piecing. It has been so long since I have done this and I can't remember...when cutting HST, do you add 1/2" or is it more than that?? Ex...the finished triangle measures 3" on the 2 short sides....so do I cut the square 3 1/2" or is it 4"?? Thanks for any help. :)

sewbizgirl 06-24-2020 03:34 PM

I believe you add 7/8" for cutting HSTs...

carriem 06-24-2020 03:41 PM

SBG--thanks! I don't know why I couldn't remember, then I tried looking it up and different websites said different things...still going on little sleep so my brain seems fuzzy most days. The last meds I was taking for migraines caused insomnia and even though I have been off them a couple weeks now it hasn't gone away! :(

oksewglad 06-24-2020 03:59 PM

Good to see a bunch of old folks...haha..show up!

givio 06-24-2020 04:00 PM

I'm no help. I usually use scraps for paper piecing, and can't seem to get the hang of figuring out how to put the fabric upside down, inside out, mirror image, backwards, or whatever it is! :-o I've done so many mistakes with paper piecing, you wouldn't believe it! I add an inch on all sides to be safe, but can still goof up. The finished blocks are superb, though.

sewbizgirl 06-26-2020 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the PC blocks I've made previously. I am looking forward to adding to them.

sewbizgirl 06-26-2020 03:46 PM

I had to look up how to do paper piecing online! After all the 1930's blocks, I had forgotten!

carriem 06-26-2020 03:55 PM

SBG--I remember a couple of those blocks! It's great that you are working on the PC blocks again! I need to pull out my 30s block but want to get my center done for the FW Medallion quilt first. RR round is done for the month, so that is next on my list.

It is so great to *want to* sew again!! Seems like the migraine meds are working...it is just one injection/month so hopefully it lasts all month long.

sewbizgirl 06-26-2020 05:24 PM

Carrie, your RR round turned out great.

I take a monthly injection to control hives!

JeanieG 06-26-2020 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8396905)
I had to look up how to do paper piecing online! After all the 1930's blocks, I had forgotten!

Me too SBG. Do you think we can use the templates and enlarge them some to use for the PP??? Like instead of using the 1/4" (2/8th on ruler), use 3/8th?? Can anyone help us out here? I also found a UTube video on how to cut for really weird slanted pieces. I was going to put the link here, but now I cannot find it - figures!!!