Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/spike-your-english-block-month-quilt-along-t227252.html)

gramquilter2 08-27-2013 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the fabrics I used for my Block 1. Now on to Block 2 and adding fabrics.:o[ATTACH=CONFIG]432467[/ATTACH]

oksewglad 08-27-2013 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel (Post 6257899)
So THATS what you do!!! I was thinking to get up hear and ask what yall do because I struggle with getting the fabric to STAY PUT. I have been doing a sewing tack to keep it stay, but of course I have to tear around it.

Actually think I learned this from QuiltE while doing PC blocks. That's what you get for Hand Piecing all your barbed wire blocks--you didn't pay attention to the PP hints:D:D:D (She also likes to stitch them in place in the seam allowance area)

QNS--what beauties! When did you make these? Love the Delectable Mountains especially.

gq2--these colors are going to be beautiful in your blocks!

kwiltkrazy 08-27-2013 08:53 AM

I'm envious of all you that are already doing your blocks. Can't wait to see them.

QNS- what lovely quilts

GQ2- your colors are scrumptious.

deranged_damsel 08-27-2013 11:14 AM

Sigh... well I WILL pay attention NOW, I guess a girl can start sometime... LOL

QuiltingNinaSue 08-27-2013 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anael, the flowers are pre-printed not embroidery pattern, sorry. It's actually from several years ago so the fabric is no longer available. Dh declares it my best quilt ever, and it lays on my bed. The local QS here featured the fabric and Janet helped me to match fabric to the flowers. Then she machine quilted it for me. The delectable mt pattern was done in Texas, three of them, for our children's Christmas present from us. We started in Oct and finished three by Dec 6th. Middle child lived in Denver, Co., so her's reflected [ATTACH=CONFIG]432569[/ATTACH] the mountain sunlight moving around the mountain, light on two sides, dark on the other two sides. I say 'we' 'cause dh helped with them to get them done on time. Do not have pictures of third one that was done in red/white.

kwiltkrazy 08-27-2013 02:11 PM

qns- another gorgeous quilt.

DogHouseMom 08-27-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 6257673)
Am I allowed to make a slight modification in the block? I'm thinking of adding one very small line near the outside edge of block #1. Thanks.

Of course! They're your blocks :)
I modified the color scheme in two of mine.

I'm also not putting the side pieces on, but leaving them as hexies and making each hexie into a place mat.

Do what you want!

deranged_damsel 08-27-2013 03:20 PM

LOVE this one NinaSue!!! LOVE LOVE :D

JeanieG 08-27-2013 04:02 PM

DD - I just smear a strip of Elmers School Glue Stick on the first piece to keep it in place. It pulls off easily when you take all the paper off!

QNS - those quilts are wonderful. I agree, I just love the one with the flowers! Beautiful!!!

mirabelle 08-27-2013 04:12 PM

QNS what beautiful quilt, love all of them

Another tip for Paper Piecing (and not everyone will agree) I backstitch at the start and end of every seam, why, cause I was getting frustrated with my seams coming apart when I took the paper off. And it is a pain in the petootie to hand stitch seams down after the block is finished:thumbdown:. Problem solved

More beautiful fabrics, wish I could show my design wall with my finished Spike blocks but I have to have patience and share next week..