Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/sylvia-bridal-sampler-bow-t236858.html)

Macybaby 05-18-2018 05:05 AM

That looks very nice Aneal! Did you buy the specialty tools for this? I keep debating if they would make a big difference or not. I love tools and gadgets, but the price is scaring me away.

Judith, I may have taken up quilting seriously in 2014, but I have a long history of sewing much more complicated items than quilts. I love quilting because it's so easy!

I have not been doing any LA'ing, and need to get back to that. Right now I've been majorly distracted by the medallion quilt I've started. It's my reward for getting the mystery quilt top done, and all the backings put together.

Anael 05-18-2018 08:02 AM

Thanks Cathy!
The special tools were given to me, I might not have purchased them myself because of the price! I find them specially helpful with the points of the appliqué. I don't know about cirles yet but I will find out very soon :D

Judith1005 05-18-2018 08:46 AM

Great job Anael. I think the block looks awesome. The specialty tools look like double ended knitting needles to me. I wonder if they would work. The technique looks interesting. I think I'll you-tube it.

Macybaby, I like your "Green Monster". It has character.

Anael 05-18-2018 08:54 AM

Thank you!!
One end of the special tools looks like knitting needles, the other end is totally different. You'll find lots of instruction video's on youtube. I watched one myself to see how it's done.

The Green Monster was mine :D :D I gave it to a Daycare centre for mentally challenged people.

sue z q 05-18-2018 10:07 AM

Teen, I am wondering what book/pattern you are using for your Baltimore Album. I would like a pattern that I don’t have to enlarge. I follow this thread because Anael got me going to almost finish my SBS. Still have to do borders.

Anael 05-18-2018 10:18 AM

I have a problem and I hope one of you clever ladies can help me.
I want to cut out some applique shapes and I'm wondering why I have to cut the stabilizer on the dashed line, iron the shape onto the fabric and cut the fabric on the solid line. What's the sense of cutting the stabilizer larger when you don't need the outer part? What do I not understand?

Anael 05-18-2018 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by sue z q (Post 8060451)
Teen, I am wondering what book/pattern you are using for your Baltimore Album. I would like a pattern that I don’t have to enlarge. I follow this thread because Anael got me going to almost finish my SBS. Still have to do borders.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594585[/ATTACH]
I still have to sandwich and quilt mine :D :D

sue z q 05-18-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 8060457)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594585[/ATTACH]
I still have to sandwich and quilt mine :D :D

We just have to keep working-we’ll get there! ��

Anael 05-18-2018 10:47 AM

Oh sure one day, when I really stick to the plan not to start any new projects until I finished the UFO's....and that's not going to happen!!

Macybaby 05-18-2018 01:24 PM

Anael, I think that is for raw edge. When I do that, I trace the line on the fusible, but cut the fusible a bit larger. Then I iron it on to the fabric and cut fabric and fusible on the raw edge. This way you get a much cleaner edge than if you cut the fusible exact and then ironed it on and cut the fabric at the edge of the fusible.

If you want to do turned edge, you need to cut the fusible exactly on the solid line, and cut the fabric on the outer dashed line. I'm not mentioning cutting out the inside of the fusible like they show, you'd do that either way if you want to reduce bulk.