Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Along January 2013

Thank you thank you Carolyn. Been checking at night and missed this....

Rosie the Wyldwytch

Quote Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
    Of course you can still join. This week is catch up week.

From what wyldwytch has set up, there are 2 blocks per week, one easy and one challenging. You can do as many or as few as you like. I opted to 2 quilts, one of the easy blocks and one of the challenging blocks. Here is a review of the blocks to date :

Week 1:
    Easy: http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FancyStripesBlock.html
    Challenge: http://www.quilterscache.com/A/Arkan...oadsBlock.html
    Week 2:
    Easy: http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BrokenWheelBlock.html
    Challenge: http://www.quilterscache.com/A/Axe&ChurnBlock.htm
    Week 3:
    Easy: http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BalkanPuzzleBlock.html
    Challenge: http://www.quilterscache.com/I/Inter...zzleBlock.html
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

I was deathly afraid of paper piecing until I did it last night....OMG, SOOOOOOO MUCH EASIER! I print out the template, then go over it with a sharpie marker, once that is done I use freezer paper to trace the templates and sew my fabric to the freezer paper. I like using it because you don't have to use any pins that might cause a slight distortion, just iron the freezer paper on to the main fabric. Good luck.

Now to go get dressed and try to be productive in the quilt room...lol

Rosie the Wyldwytch

Quote Originally Posted by buslady View Post
    Such beauty to be seen on this thread. I like the challenge, I wish I could get caught up. About the ease of blocks, it is all in the eye of the beholder. Paper pieceing scares me cause I have not done it. But, I would like to learn some time, so this block might be that time. We each have a technique that we are not as familiar with and this is your opportunity to work on that technique, or you can pass that block up. I agree the challenge block is prob fun to pick, I'd be looking for the most off the wall pattern I could find. But the easy one takes a lot of thought. There are some newbies that might have started with PP so that is what they deem "easy". Well, babbling now. Please keep the pictures coming!! I AM GOING TO GET TO THIS ONE SOON. I promise.

ok here are my blocks I chose to do since I did not have the template the one on the left I think is called octagon twist on the quiltingcache and is labled a hard block to do. easy once you make the first one and I like the little twist to it. The balkan I do not like my end result but probably because it lays flat with help so quilt away on that one.. and I ripped out about three seams cut it twice.. yeah it was a blast.

ready for the extra blocks for those who want them next week. I dont usually go into chat for a couple reasons. I have internet that is like.. the original dial up aol. hit a page turn on the water to boil, use the restroom, come back put your tea bag in ..page almost loaded. then other times it works like a charm and when I type over 90 words a minute its hard to slow down to fit in a chat that is a)reasonable and b) shows up at the right time not two minutes later and makes no sense then. soo.. Le Brat doesnt chat much. I will send my choices for easy blocks. I do think Ana who has been quilting since may is an exception to the rule. Thank you Ana for doing such a great job but there are others who need time. If you feel good about your work you want to do more and more if it doesnt turn out over and over well your can become discouraged thats all. Small steps people small steps.. everyone starts somewhere. Lucky me I got to start and then restart all over again. lol.. one would think you get better each time but well its sorta like restarting all from scratch again for this old bird.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Name:  wyldwytch2.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  670.3 KBok see what I mean about memory? argh!
    Linda

damned I hate pictures I see where I have one seam to figure out again argh not taking pictures anymore this way all my things will remain beautiful and well crooked and sometimes totally backwards (really hate the camera then) and that seam ripper well it can remain a.. decorator piece. yuppers.
    Linda

Hi all - the blocks all looking great!
    I'm finally getting round to posting pics of my attempts at week 1 blocks. Not the, erm, flattest blocks I've ever done! I'm going to blame my fabric choices (!) - raided DH's wardrobe and stole a load of his shirts, and some of them are quite thin.
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  461.5 KB
    Life (work) seems to be getting in the way and preventing much quilting at the moment, though will now settle down in front of the TV and do some hand quilting on a little welsh quilt I'm doing. Will attempt more blocks at the weekend, though a little scared by a couple of them!

I named my seam ripper Jacque.. then when I get aggravated that I have to use him (which is way too often), I scream out, "Bring me Jacque ze ripper!" in this really overstated French accent, which makes me giggle and less irritated.

Great blocks, everyone. Brat, I love everything about your Christmas quilt, and Mrs.EOP, I want to wrap up in your blocks and take a nap. Great idea using the shirts. They look so comfy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    damned I hate pictures I see where I have one seam to figure out again argh not taking pictures anymore this way all my things will remain beautiful and well crooked and sometimes totally backwards (really hate the camera then) and that seam ripper well it can remain a.. decorator piece. yuppers.
    dont know what you re talking about. They look pretty darn good to me. Love the way you got the "seasons greetings" in the patches

yeah a used shirt would be worn in softness.. and when the get too many better than throwing them away. uh does he know yet?

do we get two extra if you want to blocks tonight?
    Linda

Looking for our next blocks. I suggest Double Spinwheels from Quilters Cache!
    Dotty in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
    Looking for our next blocks. I suggest Double Spinwheels from Quilters Cache!
    Just looked that one up and I like it.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I recently found this board and thought I join in with the quilt along. I've completed 2 small quilts, so I am a beginner. Triangles are not my friend! Here are my first 2 blocks.
    Name:  P1290843.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  1.81 MB
    Misty

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    For not being your friend they look really nice to me. Welcome to the board.

designsbysnowlady, Your blocks look fine and I love your colors. And welcome to the group.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    All caught up! People shouldn't double-dog dare me rose!!!
    Name:  IMG_1984.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  86.7 KB
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Done! Boy was the Interwoven Puzzle was certainly a challenge!! Glad to have it done... not perfect but DONE! lol Glad we had a week off because it took me that long to finish these two! Going to work on the quilt to my friend Sharon now....

Name:  quilt square.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.02 MB

OK, running late since this is a catch up week will post some 'extra' blocks for those that want a bit of a challenge to keep churning them out.

Off to dinner, check back later tonight for the blocks.

Rosie

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    YAY!!! This quilt will be for a little girl. And yes, the interwoven puzzle was a bit of a challenge.
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

sew-tracy, I love, love, love your blocks! Awesome!!! I will post picture of mine tomorrow; got two done working on third now.
    Lynda Rae

"One who makes no mistakes -- never makes anything!" Author Unknown

wecome designesbysnowlady you did a great job. These block are a lot of fun. Juat have fun with them.

This one gets my vote.

Finished my blocks for January, yahoo! Got a late start, but plan to stay on track from now on. This is fun. I was going to do black/teal/white, but had a change of plans and went with some fabrics I have on hand - brown, white, light blue/teal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well back from dinner...since this is a catch up week, no blocks are posted that would go in the samplers. BUT, I do know there are a bunch of over achievers here...LOL So I decided I would put in some craziness for those who want to attempt something. This week I will put in a paper piece pattern and something really off the wall....enjoy everyone, and just remember these two blocks are just for fun if you want to attempt them.

Paper Pieced
    http://www.quilterscache.com/A/ATripleStarBlock.html

A little crazy
    http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BridalPathBlock.html

Enjoy

Rosie the Wyldwytch who is ever sooo tired

will do the bridal path. thanks Rosie! love seeing the blocks hope you had a great Friday chat!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    hoping to work on all the blocks over the next few days. DH is back in the hospital for his COPD so running back and forth to the hospital and having my own health issues wears me out and all I want to do is sit and rest. But my mind is thinking of the blocks I want to be working on. And because I want to get some stash busted, I think I'll make the "regular" blocks from one scrappy theme and the alternate (extra) blocks from another. Then I can end up with 2 quilts....that is, as long as I can work on them without getting too far behind throughout the year.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast