Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Quilts for Rosie - Weekly Paper Pieced Sampler Quilt Along >

Quilts for Rosie - Weekly Paper Pieced Sampler Quilt Along

Quilts for Rosie - Weekly Paper Pieced Sampler Quilt Along

Old 08-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
Can anyone suggest an easy pattern to practice my pp skills before I start on the real thing? TIA.
I started with the basic instructions on QuiltersCache.com. They start you with a square in a square. Also there's some some nice basic patterns that you can make, to continue to practice.

There's lot of sites and lots of info elsewise on the How To.
... as with most things, the secret all comes in practice practice practice!!!!
The more you do it, the easier it will become and the more comfortable and confident you will be with Paper Piecing.

It's really not all that hard ...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I started with the basic instructions on QuiltersCache.com. They start you with a square in a square. Also there's some some nice basic patterns that you can make, to continue to practice.

There's lot of sites and lots of info elsewise on the How To.
... as with most things, the secret all comes in practice practice practice!!!!
The more you do it, the easier it will become and the more comfortable and confident you will be with Paper Piecing.

It's really not all that hard ...

Thank you for responding to QuiltE. I've been out of pocket with no access to a computer.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Patricia Faye View Post
Thank you for responding to QuiltE. I've been out of pocket with no access to a computer.
You're welcome, though I thought it was a generic question, that anyone could respond to.
My apologies.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
You're welcome, though I thought it was a generic question, that anyone could respond to.
My apologies.
No, no apologies necessary - sorry if you misunderstood my initial response. I only meant that I'm happy you took the initiative to respond whether it's a generic question or not. It's great!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM

I took my book to a friend to see if she would like to join us and she said YES! We will get together soon to give her simple instructions for how to paper piece so she will be ready!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 AM

I have my book! But I am wondering how everyone will be treating the patterns that are too close to the center seam of the book. I have toyed with the idea of bringing it to Kinkos and have them exchange the glued binding for a spiral binding. I have thought about carefully removing the offending pages (3-4) before coping them. Any thoughts? There will be distortion otherwise. The book could be forced open until the binding breaks, but it still wouldn't be flat enough . Getting excited.
Purl
Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Purl View Post
I have my book! But I am wondering how everyone will be treating the patterns that are too close to the center seam of the book. I have toyed with the idea of bringing it to Kinkos and have them exchange the glued binding for a spiral binding. I have thought about carefully removing the offending pages (3-4) before coping them. Any thoughts? There will be distortion otherwise. The book could be forced open until the binding breaks, but it still wouldn't be flat enough . Getting excited.
Purl

Many of us who did the FWS and PC quilts took our books to Kinkos etc. and had the spine cut off and the spiral added. It's been wonderful to be able to lay the book flat. For all the cost, I can see doing it for other books too!

Will you still be able to get it flat enough with the spiral?
Or should you make your copies after the spine is cut, and before the spiral is added?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Great idea. Looks like my book is going in for a makeover at Kinko's
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jtquilts View Post
I took my book to a friend to see if she would like to join us and she said YES! We will get together soon to give her simple instructions for how to paper piece so she will be ready!
That's great you have a friend to join along with you, that will be alot of fun for you two.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by jtquilts View Post

Wonderful jtquilts! The more, the merrier!