Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Blog Entries
    It's looking good! I've cut all the necessary pieces for this week's clue, am now to the point of marking the backs of the 2-1/2" blocks. I assume we'll only need to use a portion of the 96 blocks we cut, because 4 x 17 is NOT 96. The rest will be used for setting blocks? That's what I see in the pics.

Had to cut an additional strip because I forgot an important rule of quilting: measure twice, cut once. I had cut one 1/4" too narrow.

Also, I changed my dominant fabric for this clue because it just didn't work well with the design.

After a visit to the dining car, I'll be ready to do the marking and piecing!
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Blog Entries
    judy, i like the pattern also. nice way to use up scraps. i decided on black for my 'stars' at the intersections. using up my 'scrubs' material. truthfully, i have never seen any one in black scrubs, has anyone else?
    and i will try and share pictures later. have to go back and read. did i understand right, you are going to coasta rico? did i spell that right? i have heard wonderful things about the luxury vacations there. sand, and sun, and green trees, cheaper food, etc. have a nice time. when are you leaving?

Yes, Costa Rica, hola! This isn't a luxury hotels kind of vacation, and one of them was called rustic -- and we were told we would need flashlights to get around the grounds at night. LOL But I've heard it is a beautiful country. It is an all-inclusive land cruise, everything except the tour guides tip included, going from place to place, overnighting at different hotels, in a country half the size of Kentucky. Should be more people-friendly than the cruise I did alone, there will be a maximum of 40 people traveling together, much easier to make acquaintences with a small group.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

My Fabric for Clue 2

​Brown print is fabric A and Cream with white leafy print is fabric B. I have been wanting to use the brown print in something for a long time. The cream print was in the stash, forgot I had it, LOL. Both fabrics were thrift store purchases.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
    judy, i like the pattern also. nice way to use up scraps. i decided on black for my 'stars' at the intersections. using up my 'scrubs' material. truthfully, i have never seen any one in black scrubs, has anyone else?
    and i will try and share pictures later. have to go back and read. did i understand right, you are going to coasta rico? did i spell that right? i have heard wonderful things about the luxury vacations there. sand, and sun, and green trees, cheaper food, etc. have a nice time. when are you leaving?
    Yep, I took my mother to the doctor yesterday and the doctor's aide was wearing black scrubs.
    Sweet Caroline

Loving how this is coming together! I decided I liked the look of the stars as a print and found the perfect one in my stash of scraps from a friend. Think the print must be from the early 70s as it looks very much like the one I had for the sashes of my bridesmaids dresses, only the colors are different.

Blog Entries
    Got my scrappy's finished and I've been working on the last train ride #3.

Mini Train Scrappy Blocks
    Name:  Minitrain.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  86.2 KB

Train Ride #3 block and cuts done.
    Name:  Mt3block.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  153.8 KB
    Name:  mt3cuts.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  228.0 KB
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Thanks for Step 2; this one should keep me busy for a while.

Tell me, what do you guys do with the little waste triangles from the stitch 'n' flip? I feel wasteful tossing them, but I know from experience that I don't enjoy working with them, either.

Enjoy the trip to Costa Rica; it is a beautiful country. We vacationed there in '09, and had a nice advantage because my uncle and aunt own a place there, so we were able to stay with them and get a tiny bit of a local perspective, as well as enjoy some touristy stuff. It was the trip of a lifetime.

--Q

Stayed up most of the night getting step 1 done. Just love the accuquilt cutter. Made it so much easier. I cut our for 2 big quilts. I think for A and B I am going to do one scrappy and one not. Just love the pattern. It was one that I had on my to make list. Can't wait to get back to the sewing room.

My daughter just make a chocolate cake with carmel frosting. There is enough to share. A quick bit to keep going
    :-)))

reesky, love your mystery #3 blocks! And of course your 9-patch also.

Quossum, way to go girl -- you joined yesterday and have just jumped in with both feet! Beautiful picture of a beautiful country. I get to see it all from both oceans to the highest mountain, really excited.

And mora, too, she just joined yesterday, too, and is all in with both feet. LOL

step two cut out and ready to sew.

Quossum - forgot to answer you. IMHO only LOL

I too, hate to waste anything, but I made this quilt to be a scrap buster, not scrap maker.

I just love this scrappy quilt. This project takes away 2 of my goals for 2013. Make a scrappy quilt and do the mystery quilt for the mystery train this year. I really enjoy reading, seeing, and getting ideas from everyone here. The pics I see all look great. I will catch up with everyone after I finish the mystery quilt from merry mayhem (planet patchwork). Only have to put the blocks together and border the quilt for that quilt top. A today and Tuesday and Wednesday project. Then on to this project. Off to my quilting room I go.

To Quossum, I sew the two pieces together to form 1/2 square, and I'm saving my scraps to one day make a mini quilt. I haven't decides on the final design, but that's what I plan to do with them. And yes I have lots of these scraps, in numerous colors.

ok now to go back andpage and catch up. sounds like everyone is happy so it must be good. argh I hate coming in the middle! oh goody get to pick fabricoutand has somethingto do with stars.. hum! sounds marvelous!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Elisabrat you're going to really have fun with this! It's coming together really nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post

WOW.......speechless in Burbank........Just WOW...... HUGS, JUDY
    This is my first time doing a mystery quilt. This is a win-win situation. I will use all scrappy and 4 patch blocks for stars and high quality muslin for the sashing strips. Thank you!

I'm loving this...did not see the stars coming! Time to decide on A and B. :-)

Blog Entries
    Got my B fabrics cut... time to fix dinner then cut A
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Sewsewquilter I love yours so far. I absolutely love batiks. I didn't use any in mine. I am having a hard time coming up with an A and B fabric. I feel One needs to be lighter than anything I want to cut up. I am really going to have to think about this. I really like this quilt. I didn't get any sewing done today because I was shopping at several LQS all day. I am working on a doll dress quilt that has smocking on it. I need tons of help on it since I don't know anything about smocking.

Blog Entries
    Smocking?? For me, that'a a blast from the past. I smocked several dresses for my older two daughters and a few for the younger two. The easiest was on gingham - another memory word. Now you make me want to make a smocked pillow.

Loving the pictures. I have my dark cream for A, but no B yet. I'm thinking a dark red, which I don't have, but as this is a stashbuster quilt, I will find something else. Gold if there's enough contrast.

Wow, Irish - yes, blast from the past -- smocked yokes on gingham for little girls dresses -- made them for my DDs when they were little, in the early 70s. Loved doing it, it was easy and calming.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Smocking?? For me, that'a a blast from the past. I smocked several dresses for my older two daughters and a few for the younger two. The easiest was on gingham - another memory word. Now you make me want to make a smocked pillow.

Loving the pictures. I have my dark cream for A, but no B yet. I'm thinking a dark red, which I don't have, but as this is a stashbuster quilt, I will find something else. Gold if there's enough contrast.

I'm on board but just barely. Used a couple of charm packs but, may regret before done. Will finish this one and than may do another that is truly scrappy. Everyone's blocks look great. I can't do pictures, but do enjoy looking at all those that are posted.

Blog Entries
    I love smocking, remember those smocked maternity dresses? I made one then when I had my daughter cut it up into a baby blanket, kept the smocking part for a pillow, oh what fun that was!

I am still deciding on my A and B fabric.

The 30's fabric, from what I can see with out taking the box out and no time for that~ looks to be not 30's but more like early 50's? not sure... But I have a great quilting group that has many many years of experience, I am taking it there when I get back from Oregon. But today I relax and work on my mystery quilt!

Can't wait to see what you ladies come up with. Football is on the TV and I am really enjoying my sewing room. I think I will sew on the Mystery Ride 3 until I get to go and find my A & B fabric.
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast