Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride >

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 AM

I got my B&W squares finished, They are looking good, but had to call home and have my hubby send my A & B fabric. I am getting so much sewing done here. It is like a quilting marathon for me. I just wish I had my quilting table, it is hard to put the layers together with out it.

Well I better get some sleep tomorrow is going to be a busy day~ Sister and I are going to go through Mom's stuff, help her figure out what to keep and what to get rid of! Tough thing to do for all of us!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 AM

marytoddliz- yes a hard thing to do. Hoping you get through this rough time. Will be thinking about you.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 AM

I am loving all of them. No two alike, some totally scrappy, some a bit more controlled. Yes I have enough to make a mockup but want to get a bit more done. What I noticed about mine is that a couple of my "dark" stars are flowing into the dark corners. So if I ever do another one I will make sure that my corner squares have a good contrast with the stars. LOL LOL that way I can be a bit more of a control freak. But truly am loving mine. The press/cut question?? I find that if I press the corners flat first to set the seam, trim a quarter inch from the seam and then press open that they lay a lot flatter. But to each his own. Have a great day. Couple errands to do early early and then back to the machine. Should pretty much have the day open. Retta from warm soggy NWFlorida gulf.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM

Default Final destination - train is pulling into the station!

Don’t give up, I know this is a lot of work in only 3 lessons but remember, you can do this at your own pace, no rush, and as always, no quilt police allowed on this forum. This forum thread will remain forever, you can come back to look at the instructions any time you want.

Gather together the pile of 2-½” x 4-½” pieces, top picture, and sew 3 together by placing the 2-½” sides, right sides together. Press. You will have a piece 2-½” wide by 12-½” long. Make 10 of these 3-piece blocks.
For the LARGE SIZE make 14 of the 3-piece blocks.
See 2nd picture.

As also shown in the second picture, make flying geese with the remaining 2-½” x 4-½” rectangles and the 2-½” color A squares. Assemble 2 short pieces using pieces as shown in the picture, adding a 2-½” square sewn to each end. Make 2 long pieces as shown. Sew the long pieces to the long sides. Press seams. Sew short sides to the top and bottom. Press. And guess what, you have finished your Scrap Buster Scrappy Quilt top.
LARGE QUILT
Assemble flying geese as described above. Make your four border strips according to the little diagram I drew. Add long strips to long side of quilt, press, add short strips to the short side. It will look like the photo of my quilt, only will be 3 blocks wide and 4 blocks long. And now you too are finished!

To all of you who thought you couldn’t make, or never made, or didn’t like to make flying geese, I think you can safely say that after this, you are now flying geese experts.

I quilted this with a simple narrow serpentine stitch-in-the ditch in all of the horizontal and vertical seams, and was pleased with its look. I used poly batt -- I had a big piece given to me and didn’t want to waste it. It seemed to accentuate all the little blocks, making them puffy. I did not do any type of quilting along the points. The king quilt, 5 blocks long by 7 blocks wide, is also done with serpentine stitch. I also started a batik table runner and will post a pix in the new pictute thread when it is finished, probably this afternoon.

This has been fun, and I have enjoyed the ride, seeing all your beautiful fabrics. Hope everyone has enjoyed the ride, I will keep checking in until Monday night; I leave Tuesday morning. Can’t wait to log in on the 26th of January and see your progress. Have fun finishing your quilt tops.

And watch for the next mystery quilt to start the end of February. It will be posted in the Block of the Week and Month section.

I have started a new thread - we can go there to post pictures and share with the QB - they are all so beautiful I think everyone should be able to see them. Might pick up a few more scrappy fans!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t210759.html
Attached Thumbnails 8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg   lg-border.jpg   014.jpg  

018.jpg   stash-buster-scrappy-1-copy.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 AM

oh, this is beautiful . thank you sooooo much. have a nice trip, when you take off.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM

thank you sewNso -- I am partial to it! Or did you gather that, when you saw I made a king quilt.

I had a PM about why the rounded corners -- thought I'd comment to all who wondered. It is big, falls to within a few inches of the floor, and I hate when a corner drags down and looks all messy. So I rounded it off and cut a few pieces of bias binding to splice in to that area when I was sewing the binding on.
Attached Thumbnails stash-buster-scrappy-2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 AM

Beautiful quilt. I am thankful for those who shared your thread with me. I can't wait to get started on the 3rd clue, will be later today or tomorrow before I can. Have to take mom on some errands. She doesn't drive much more so on my days off.......I have to go even when I dont want to.

Judy have a wonderful trip. I will watch for your next mystery ride.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 AM

Create - glad you enjoyed this ride, and will look for you, and every returning passenger, at the end of February.

Paulswalla -- saw you posted your beautiful quilt on the new thread, please post it here for all to enjoy, too. I didn't mean you shouldn't post it here, I was hoping to see the quilts in both places.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 AM

Irish I made the 16 patches because I just had to use a turquoise fabric I found in my stash. It was all 1 1/2 inch strips so I paired it with a yellow. I seem to love working with itty bitty pieces. I love to paper piece and have made several post cards. I would love to do some work in miniature and have a couple of patterns for it if i can just get to it.
I worked until midnight last night and got to a point that required some thinking and decided I should go to bed before I created a mess. My stars are 3 different colors (also didn't have enough of anything I like for those) so I was at a point where I would have to work on color placement of the triangle corners. Too much thinking for that late at night so I quit. Hopefully I will get to work on it today after I take the rest of the Christmas tree down. Then on to step 3.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 AM

Here's my finished top! I'm thinking about quilting stars in the 9 patch blocks and quarter inch echo in the stars. Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails scrappy-stars-email-size.jpg