Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Ok I am jumping on board for my first train ride!!
    Sondra

I am done! Now for a quick lunch then a shower to get ready for our New Year's festivities. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jumping on board for my first train ride mystery. Looking forward to this new advernture. I am on my way to my stash to begin cutting fabrics. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Yes, I had already checked out the dates for next year. Almost not worth the trouble!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
    Hey PMJ (Judy), the neighbor's lights will be up sooner for Christmas 2013! There's only 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas! I'll definitely have to get my stuff up earlier, if I want to enjoy it. Don't do much outside anymore, but inside, oh yeh!
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Click on these for the other mystery quilts I designed.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...e-t203100.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...e-t188477.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...e-t180032.html

Quote Originally Posted by alvgoodyear View Post
    [

Just a simple question. Where do I find the other three mystery train quilts?

Thanks for the info.

Jaba and Pam - thanks -- I thought of both those alternatives, and will make a final decision when I get closer. I can always take back the batting I bought.

I love the colors you used in your 9 patch. cute
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

I'm jumping on board for my first train ride! Think I'm going to use my Depression fabric squares for this one. Then will need to get the other 2 fabrics for A and B.

My 9 patch blocks ready to go Name:  9 patch.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  367.4 KB
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Pam was goingto say finally someone who just grabbed and sewed then upon closer look you didnt do that..you put all darks in corner/center or a light color in the cross pattern I literally grabbed belfry. I was trying to be spontaneous and seeing everyone else was a bit morecontrolled I wish I had done that. I have light next to light dark next to dark crazy pink next to black gold patterns.. its well scrappy.

As to the food aspect you see its virtual food. we all share have as much as your mind can imagine and zero calories. we are grown up kids at times which is alright with most of us am I right? We take it light and that works pretty good. I hope you and your husband share photos of what you produce and add to the chatter.. we chatter as much as we quilt at times. we as in ME finger pointed right back here no need for all of you to stand up in your chairs and point at me its notnice.. lol

I have 3/4 of the top together for the rubys boom quilt. busy morning and a good one. nap time for bonzo then the post office.. Happy New Years to anyone who is celebrating (this should mean ALL OF YOU) .. one does not have to hit the town to celebrate actually its quiet simple. Just wake up tomorrow. TADA reason to celebrate! I plan on celebrating for sure!!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Name:  Mystery-Quilt-2013-QB.gif
Views: 566
Size:  145.0 KBI hope there is still room on board! I've got my blocks ready and I've never been on a train ride. Would anyone like to try one of my home made cinnamon rolls with a cup of vanilla biscotti coffee?
    Carol

I'm going to do this one! This will be my first mystery quilt, as well as my first scrappy...but I was just looking at my huge bin of scraps yesterday and thinking that I need to do something with them. Perfect timing! I'm looking forward to this!

So happy to see all the new faces this train ride.

I just found this thread thanks to PamH. I will be joining along. I look forward to joining in. I will catch up as soon as possible. I may also get mom involved with me.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    I am so glad and proud of myself. I just cant do scrappy but finally today I did. I found several colors,cut my blocks and put them in a bag. Whatever I pulled out I used. I have all my blocks made and they are pretty good.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Congratulations Zennia! It is fun isn't it? My DH (I call him Sweedie] ended up in a ditch on his way to town. Was breaking to miss a dog! But he is alright, just no quilting anymore today. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Finally got my 9-patches done. And it IS scrappy! No two alike! Didn't know I had that much fabric until I started looking.

Name:  8330802111_1ca1198fcc_z.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  211.1 KB
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Blog Entries
    Awesome Blocks so far! I love them all, and I am going to ask a question! Not to be judgmental or mean...although I too can be mean, just ask my kids (I also like the name meanmom!).

Are there "Rules for Scrappy" or maybe guidelines? I was thinking about that all night and somewhere in my past! I remember someone saying "You have to keep the scale the same and the value close" So did I imagine it or was there at one point a Scrappy guideline?

The reason I ask this is some scrappy's are really really cute and others, are not so much... I am speaking of ones I have made in the past! So I was just wondering, maybe there is someplace that the rules or guidelines are written, say if you were going to make a scrappy for a show quilt?

I do really like the smaller sized squares in a scrappy rather than the huge ones. (12 in)

Sorry about asking but I can't get that sound out of my head! Must have been my "Mean" stepmom who taught me how to sew! I did a lot more ripping out than sewing!

Our computer connection is acting so weird! I will try to come back soon to see if any of you know the answer!

Happy New YEAR~ Will 2013 be a good luck year because of the 13? OK sorry again I know too many questions!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

I am definitely along for the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

boy oh boy! Slip off to the studio to do a little quilting, come back & have to play catch up! We got all of our 9-patch blocks done today. I'd post a pic, but there's 16 of them! None alike either! There's 3 of us making one each of the smaller one for donation. While GN was doing the last seams & ironing, I designed & started quilting a small wholecloth quilt. So far it's looking really good too! Just have the negative spaces to quilt & then it's done. Just gotta do some doodling on my pad to see what I want to fill with. I'm doing some QOV tops tomorrow with a blog that I follow. I figure we're starting the year off right & getting the charity stuff out of the way early.
    So glad to see all the new faces joining us! Welcome! We have a blast doing Judy's Mystery quilts. No calorie food, don't get drunk on the libations & have some fun along the way. In the end, we all have some beautiful quilts! Don't be shy...join in with the chatter, us older train riders are glad to see ya!!!

I think I want to go for a train ride also.I,ve got way to much scraps to get used up. This should be a fun quilt.
    Now to get to sewing up those 9 patches. I,m way behind you all as I just found this last night.
    Happy New Year to everyone.

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    You're not behind wolf we all just started too! Maryt no rules, do what you want, scrappy or organized scrappy. I usually do mine in strips, then cut and sew back together. Do at least 1 every year of fabric I had left from the quilts I made. Never done 1 in squares before so here I am. Just threw them all in a bag, shook it all up and just grabbed and sewed. Truly scrap...

I recently bought a book on scrappy quilts. It stated that true scrappy is to put things allin a bag and pull and sew no peaking or rejecting just pull. I also note however that every single quilt they showed in that quilt were controlled. My comfort is more of controlled say all blue reds creams and blacks no orange or yellow.. I used pastel next to rusty colors and afterwards truly dont care for it. If I start again its going to be more organized. Marybeth go with what makes your eye happy. go find three scrappys you love right now. dont think just pick tht one and that one.. then slow down and check it out controlled all different shades of these four colors? or is it random you name it it has it.. there will be your answer on what you like most. I am putting faith into this one Judy it seems is rarely wrong so she says scrappy I am saying ok girl i believe you now that I think of it Ihave oodles of time to do both and see what happens an experiment on my own! I am going to I have all the right squares cut for the first one and the first nine true scrappy blocks done. I dont own orange scraps or yellow scraps which is why you didnt see them in the other blocks. I guess I got the more subdued ones. So I am going with my original plan.. six color blocks different fabrics.. radiating colors.. that is what the goal is. sorted my fabric earlier today I can do that pretty well.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    maryt, I have no answer for you, just an opinion, but it seems to me it wouldn't be scrappy if we paid attention to the scale and color value. I am disappointed in the charms I pulled. Kind of dull - not enough large prints, IMO. I may have to cut a few from yardage or FQs - Ouch! When I did my middle daughter's scrappy quilt, I did stay to purples, pinks and aquas with some yellow, but not this time. I do like a scrappy with some solids or blenders to tie it together and I think Judy has that covered with our A and B fabrics. All the blocks posted so far look good.

New Year's Eve again already - where did 2012 go? 13 is lucky around here. I had a daughter on Friday the 13th years ago so it's a nice number, IMO.

I controlled mine somewhat by alternating lights and darks for pressing purposes. I wanted my seams to nest. Not that this made all my seams perfect. Some are, some aren't. LOL

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast