Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride! >

Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride!

Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 AM

I am the town next to AJ and yes, it is really unusually cold today, 45 right now. Had 2 to 3 feet up north in Flagstaff, my son is in Chino Valley and he had snow too. Supposed to be cold today and tomorrow then into the 80s by the weekend.
Originally Posted by Everose View Post
Greetings all! I was going to work on a UFO at the quilt group today - I looked and looked, cleaned and straightened. Nowhere to be found. I think the elves took it - I sure hope it comes back quilted. But did get another started.

Judy, I heard that it was really cool in AZ today. My father lives in Apache Jnct and he said it was 43` there and it was in the 80's` here. YES!!! finally we had better temps than there.

Can't wait until the new instructions come out - I'll be at work, but I know I will be able to find them with all you ladies on the train.

Have a great evening.
Di
Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
vickig626, the purple is Electic Garden by Jason Yenter for In the Beginning fabrics 2009. Works4me did an online search for it. I don't think she was successful and I emptied the bolt at my LQS so I'm no help.

islandwiz1, I love your colors. The blocks look good.

Monday is coming. Woohoo! I want to see where the pretty purple goes.
Irishrose -- thank you for the info. I did find some at www.sewflakesfabric.com and ordered 2 yards (all I could afford right now). They had almost 6 yards left. Can't wait to make something gorgeous with it !!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 AM

Default And the train has reached the station for destination #3

Okay, welcome aboard and here we go.

A note to those of you who were unable to make your blocks 10-½” square - do what you need to do to make them square. I made a notation in the last paragraph where you see the **

In this part of the mystery quilt you will use what I called fabric F, only because I chose it last. I had told you it would be the dominant color. If you were undecided at this point as to what you wanted to use as fabric F, scroll down to the picture of the four blocks sewn together, which shows just how prominently F will show up in your quilt. If you want a more subtle look, or one that is brighter or darker, now is the time to change your fabric choice.

Place the F fabric (my probably too-bright orange) 4-½” x 9-½” rectangles on the 10-½” squares as follows:Right sides together, put lower right corner of F where the seam of strip 2 and 3 come together on the right side of your 10-½” block. Place the lower left corner of F where it touches the bottom edge or the 10-1/.2“ square. The upper left corner of F will touch the left side of the square. Sew ¼” seam. Trim off lower right corner of large square as shown. Press fabric F as shown. Trim block to 10-½“. Make three more blocks the same way, making sure you lay your 10-½” square in the same starting position as the first block you made. The four blocks will be identical. Sew these four blocks together as shown.

Take the 1-½”strips of fabric F and add borders.You pieced top will measure 22-½“” square.

** for those of you who are working with undersized blocks, you may need to adjust how the rectangle falls on the strip block. But put down the block on the right side as directed, put the corner on the bottom, and the left side of the block will not perfectly line up. But this will be okay when you trim the rectangle excess fabric. Now cut your F strips wider than the 1-½“ in the initial directions , sew them onto the 4 pin wheel blocks, and trim to a 22-½” square.
Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg   007.jpg   010.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-19-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
OK,Sunlite, now I get your adgenda -- you're trying to get all of us fat! (Can I preorder two oatmeal scones?) Meet you in the dining room by 10:00 a.m. at the latest.

And I know you are anxious, but breathe deeply, relax and enjoy the week. Next Monday will be here before you know it.

Of course not fat, didn't you know, in the last car before the caboose there are exercise classes twice a day? And besides, she is only trying to keep up our energy, lol. Love the colors, love the chit chat, following it all, don't know if I will do it, been thinking on it, but thinking doesn't get it done. Great job all.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Come on, Anngel, you know you want to do this! Now that you see how easy this quilt will be, you can do it in no time! Jump on board the train.

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
Of course not fat, didn't you know, in the last car before the caboose there are exercise classes twice a day? And besides, she is only trying to keep up our energy, lol. Love the colors, love the chit chat, following it all, don't know if I will do it, been thinking on it, but thinking doesn't get it done. Great job all.

Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-19-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM

RE the latest instructions....wow, didn't see that coming.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM

see, it's a mystery, after all.

Out of curiosity, could you please tell me what you thought you would be doing today on the quilt? Thanks.

And for those interested in scrap quilts, here is my scrappy mystery that I am making for a boy.

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Me either, that is too neat.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Well I am very excited about this train ride and already can't wait for the next one.
I would love weekly clues next time and on Sundays for those of use that work. Just happened to have today off.
Here is my Clue #3
Attached Thumbnails mar-19-2012-024.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Cool. I was a bit worried we might be using half square triangles. This, I can handle. Tomorrow night I find out if my blocks really are as square as I think they are.

emsunfire, you are fast. I just got the instructions 5 minutes ago and you are already done. Two weeks is going to go so slow for you. The block looks great as do our fearless leader's.

Last edited by works4me; 03-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.