$35.00 for a haircut?!?!!?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by vwquilting
I disagree that that is to much.
My gdaughter just graduated from Hair School 1,500 hrs. $23,000 student loan. Several hundred dollars worth of products and 9 months of commuting. No pay. Then they will have to keep up her liscense with more education. THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS. Hours on their feet washing smelly hair sometimes head lice. Dead dry skin enough to make one vomit and lots of peoples attitudes.
These gals study anatomy and medical conditions and conform to health regulations ready to work in an operating room. 60%of hairdresers end up in the medical field because of such a closely related program to nursing. Plus they have to pay the house 60% of what they make plus the products they use on you. Then they clean the salon. Wash the towels they use. How much of that 35.00 do they keep? Not much.
You made me curious. I researched and the beauty college near me is 2,000 hours $10,000 (supplies included). Like everything else, it depends where you live.
It still doesn't change the fact that a lot of people like me simply cannot afford the high prices.
I paid $5,700 twenty eight years ago, the cosmetology schools here in small town Florida are $10,000 for technical school and much more for private academys. I received a "box of supplies" when I began school, not nearly the amount of supplies needed to go into the work force, only 12 of each color perm rod, 12 rollers, 2 combs, 1 brush, you get the idea. So yes supplies are included but subjective to interpretation.
I was lucky, that when my daughter went to cosmetology school, it was through a vocational program at the High School, 20 years ago. Only cost, the price of the kit, appx 250.00. 1500 hours were required and a few of the kids fell short at the end of the 2 year program. My daughter had to put in some overtime hours to meet the requirements, but made it. Those who fell short had to pay the entire fee, appx $10,000 at the time, in order to complete the course. The program was cut about 4 years ago, and no longer is available. - She works at Fantistac Sams and get 45 %. There are days she only has 2 customers and then then there are days she has close to 20. I just asked her how much for a hair cut and she says $16, and $25 for a cut and style.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

My hair is really long. I've been growing it for Locks of Love. I've only had a couple of trims in the past year..
I have "issues" going to have my hair done. It's not them, it's me!! :D
One of my hangups lol
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 AM

$50 for my stylist. I'm letting mine go white and it's really the only thing I get done at the salon, so I don't mind. I have super thick hair and she is good.