0% versus skim milk

Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 AM

ditto, the same with me
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 AM

I use 2%, skim is like drinking/using white water. But, I also like soy milk.....it seems to have a longer life......I do hate milk in these plastic bottles......I think I am going to put my next half gallon into a glass container when I bring it home.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

thanks oksewglad. Great information. We have a local dairy here, but their prices are significantly higher than anything else.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM

I my self do not drink milk, nor am I a big dairy eater at all. BUT in the last 3 weeks I have spent many days sitting with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law in the hospital while they recovered from sickness. (back to back visits also mind ya) but I did notice that they do not have nor offer non fat milk... 2% is what they serve. I also asked a friends daughter (she works in a HUGE hospital as a nurse) and she said the same thing about her hospital.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 AM

Neither, can't stand watery milk, must be because we always drank and cooked with whole farm milk.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM

oksewglad - thanks for all of that information. We drink 2% here, and organic. I read something about the ultra pasturization that takes place with the really low fat milks being bad for us, but I can't for the life of me remember why. (I'm apparently reaching the part of my life where I'm purging more knowledge than I'm gaining.*sigh*)

For years, I took the lactaid pills and avoided milk when I could, until I had organic milk once, and forgot the lactaid.

It didn't hurt my stomach at all. I don't think it's the antibiotics (for the same reasons that you talk about), but there's "something" different with the products we get from the organic sources. My gut says so, literally. Or rather it's quiet on the subject unless I add regular milk products. We avoid most soy products for their goitrogenic and phytoestrogenic effects as well as the fact that it's a common allergen and I have some sensitivity to it, but I enjoy almond milk.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

As far as what kind of milk I prefer--it is whole milk.

If whole milk seems to be thicker it's because there is less water and more fat in it. FDA regulations for whole milk require it to be no less that 3.25 % fat. So whole milk is 96.75% fat free! FDA does not allow milk to be advertised as ***% fat free; lunch meats, chips, etc can be. Go figure. Let me also note there is no added water in milk. To reduce the fat levels, cream (milk fat) is removed.

This website gives some good information comparing nutritive values of different fat levels of milk. As you can see the biggest difference is the amount of fat in the each category.

http://www.healthyeating.org/milk-da...s-in-milk.aspx

Please note in the Mayo Clinic table on calcium needs the first number is amount needed and the second number is the upper limits once should take. For the average woman drink 1 c of milk, 2 1" cubes of cheese (1 oz per cube), and a cup of yogurt and you are all set! Let's not forget the ice cream for a treat--as that gives you about 85 mg of calcium.

Yes I support the consumption of milk for healthy bones and teeth. But I also was raised with the concept that a well balanced diet is just as important. Eat your vegetables and enjoy the fruits--especially with all the fresh ones this time of year. Add carbohydrates as whole grains. Meat, sea food, nuts, and beans are great sources of proteins--as well as milk products . Eating a balanced diet provides the ability for all nutrients to work together to give us a healthier body. Limit added sugars especially those in soft drinks and yes, fruit juices, too. Watch the amount of caffeine one consumes as well. And lastly drink plenty of water--just plain H2O.

On a dairy feed stuffs are analyzed for their nutritive value, then mixed together for a balanced, optimum diet. We make sure they get the nourishment they need to be healthy, productive animals. Ask a dairyman what is the most important food to give his/her cows and the answer will be water (not coffee, cola--plain water).

Thanks for listening to me--I'll get off my soapbox
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
I think the industry is using 0% as a marketing ploy. Since everyone is on the low-fat-no-fat craze 0% "sounds" better than "skim" does. Since I have problems with milk, I have not drank a glass of (cow) milk in many years. But I do remember that skim did look and taste watery. I do cook with milk when I make Mac and cheese or when something needs milk, I use 2%. For cereal, I use coconut milk. Funny, I can eat cheese, yogurt and ice cream, but milk kills my stomach.
Me too, wonder why it is only the milk. I drink soy or almond milk.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM

my favorite summertime drink since i was a kid has been a glass of skim milk "on the rocks". even just from the fridge, it was always "colder" to my mouth than regular,1%, or 2%. if you want skim with a little more "heft", add a half cup of dry milk to the gallon of skim, and shake it up! it gives it a little more body without adding any fat. and most of the worry about milk and additives in our family hasn't been the antibiotics--it has been concern over hormone administration to increase milk production. we buy hormone free. it's a little more pricey, but worth it.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 AM

I'm one of those that really doesn't like any of the lower fat or synthetic milk choices. It just doesn't "taste right".

When we were in Guam years ago the milk for sale there was reconstituted powered milk with coconut oil added to get the fat content up.

I just got the powdered milk and mixed it half again as much per batch and it was pretty good but still not "right".

I swore that when I got back stateside I wouldn't ever drink anything but "real" (whole) milk again!

As a kid I was a very picky eater and on some things I apparently haven't changed much.