Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
4D Extra will not activate my dongle. >

4D Extra will not activate my dongle.

4D Extra will not activate my dongle.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:21 AM

Question 4D Extra will not activate my dongle.

Does anyone have an idea where I can buy a new one? I have searched ebay and Amazon, several companies with no success.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Exactly what is 4D Extra? Did it come with a sewing machine?

Edited to add: I found it with Mr. Google. Since it is a Husqvarna product or associated with them, wouldn't it be a good idea to contact your local dealer?

I Googled 4d embroidery extra dongle not recognized
There are many replies. I am sure one of these websites will have your answer.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-13-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 AM

And what is a dongle, while you're at it?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 AM

I have 4D although I don't use it anymore. I did try to use 5D Quilt Design creator and it wouldn't recognize my dongle either. I did re-register and it still wouldn't recognize it. I think it might be they don't support these versions of the software anymore.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM

Not sure how dongles work for anything but a Bernina but if you don't have the latest Bernina Design program the dongle will not work on Windows 10. It will work on the older Windows 7.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltBaer View Post
I have 4D although I don't use it anymore. I did try to use 5D Quilt Design creator and it wouldn't recognize my dongle either. I did re-register and it still wouldn't recognize it. I think it might be they don't support these versions of the software anymore.
5D Quilt DesignCreator has a different dongle than 4D. 5D Quilt DesignCreator is still supported by Husqvarna Viking.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:50 PM

A dongle works with your computer to activate the program. My Viking/Husqvarna Designer Topaz 20 has one for the Embroidery 5D program. I think it prevents you from sharing your program with other people. If you have a good dealer they should be able to help you but not all dealers sell the programs. When I was upgrading my program from the one that came with the machine my dealer in Chula Vista had no idea what I was talking about. Luckily the Road To CA Show had a dealer from Orange county there and he sold me the program and was able to walk me thru the process. Later I found the dealer in El Cajon (one block from where my daughter lives) is certified to sell the programs and help people.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
5D Quilt DesignCreator has a different dongle than 4D. 5D Quilt DesignCreator is still supported by Husqvarna Viking.
HV still support the 4D embroidery software. Contact Software Support by phone for help & they will walk you through the process.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12 PM

HV does not still support that 4D embroidery software. They tell me that cannot activate my dongle and haven't been able to for three years. I'm not sure if that's true or not! I told them this is why everyone is going to third party like Embird, because no one wants to spend a grand on software that Viking/Pfaff drops support for. If someone has a new copy with the dongle, then they should activate it. End of. I say this as a software professional. Nothing makes me more angry than greedy companies who simply want to sell you the next level of software. It's OK to say 'you are on your own' when it comes to learning about the older version, but not activating the security system?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-03-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps, language
Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 PM

I am laughing out loud! Don't know what a dongle is or does,never heard of a 4D extra! Thought at first this was a prank post--so glad to find out these things actually exist!