4th of July wedding theme

Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 AM

OK, so I'm planning a very quick and impromptu wedding to take place at 12:01 AM on July 4th outside a fireworks warehouse.

I'll do some citronella candles placed here and there to keep the mosquitoes away, and everyone will be holding a sparkler to light at a particular time. It's not going to be a long ceremony or anything, and fireworks will be coordinated to go off during the "you may kiss the bride" moment.

I'm altering a dress I've worn before (see photo) to be strapless. I've already removed the sleeves, just now need to make further alterations for going strapless, also because (and here's the really great part) I've lost about 30 lbs since I've last worn this dress!!! YAY ME!!!

But this post is a request for two things - does anyone have any very inexpensive ideas on decorations for the wedding, or alterations advice for going strapless? I found some helpful hints on the net about altering the size, but am rather concerned about the strapless part. If push comes to shove, I can sew some clear bra straps to it, or ribbons or something. I'm in my 40s so I really don't want anything too fru=fru. Oh, and I'm planning on dying the dress navy blue.

Any help you could give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208646.jpe  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Congratulations on your wedding. DH & I were also married on the 4th of July. We had a pretty simple wedding. I found some glass flowerpots that I painted with daisys, and red & blue ribbons. We used daisys in some old watering cans on the tables as well. Ours was a country theam so I don't know if this is very helpful. We got married in blue jeans and white & blue t-shirts. DH picked the 4th so that we would always have the Holiday off to do whatever we wanted on our anniversary and we would always have fireworks. I tease him that he picked the 4th so that he wouldn't ever forget our anniversary. Sorry but I have no helpful advice for your dress.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM

My daughter and her hubby were married on the 4th on the courthouse grounds. He flew home from Afganistan to be home for the cermony. For their reception, we used tradition 4th faire, BBQ, corn on cob etc. and did RW&B decor (There is a small historic building about 2 blocks off the square where we held it).

Sorry I don't know much about altering dresses. I wish you many years of happiness.

My father walking DD down the aisle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208843[/ATTACH]

The reception
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208844[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208837.jpe   attachment-208838.jpe  
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM

About the dress, how about sewing in a strapless bra to help hold the girls up? That may give you the support you need. Good job on the 30 lbs!