5 Days No Power

Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM

oh i can sympthize with you we lost our power several years ago to ice storms, remember only use heavy duty extention cords!!! and your safety comes first.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM

I remember those days, last time was Hurricane Katrina and we had a portable generator with extension cords all over the house. I had a small lamp plugged into the extension cord and I made
yo-yos to keep my mind off of the storm.

My brother spent big bucks and had a Generac (whole house) generator that runs on natural gas installed. Ten seconds after the power goes out the Generac turns on and we can power up everything. Plus, no tripping on those heavy duty extension cords.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
After several long bouts without power here, during an ice storm years ago we went 8 days in January with the same problems, no water, no heat, phone knocked out by a truck which caught the group of downed lines and a car who's transmission was fractured while trying to get the car out of the ice, we decided this year to go with a whole house generator that comes on automatically when power goes out. Of course now that we invested so much in this unit, we'll never have another power outage.
Yes, Roberta. I am going shopping this week for a whole house generator. Now I am going out to get heating elements for the hot water heater. Apparently the water drained out after because there was no pressure from the well pressure tank to keep the water up to level. I know that once we have a generator back up system we will never have another weather situation such as this one. Sort of like insurance, you got to have it even if you never use it.

By the way, I have ancestors from China, Maine, family names of Gray and Heerman, Herrman (seen it spelled many ways).
Old 01-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by arbed31 View Post
I remember those days, last time was Hurricane Katrina and we had a portable generator with extension cords all over the house. I had a small lamp plugged into the extension cord and I made
yo-yos to keep my mind off of the storm.

My brother spent big bucks and had a Generac (whole house) generator that runs on natural gas installed. Ten seconds after the power goes out the Generac turns on and we can power up everything. Plus, no tripping on those heavy duty extension cords.
Yes, still have the extension cords festooned throughout the house. Not taking them down for awhile.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by aronel View Post
This would be a good time to drag out the Treadle or a handcrank, I bought a Treadle just for this reason. I hope you get power restored soon. Stay safe.
I have three treadles, and one hand crank. All in various stages of being restored. I definitely will hurry up the fixing process. I NEVER want to go through sewing/quilting withdrawel again. It's just tooo painful.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM

I want to thank all of you for your sympathy and words encouragement. You are like family to me.

Our power was restored about 10:00am this morning. I was really at my breaking point after 5 days. I care for my 93 year old mother who totally dependent and my husband is permanently disabled. I thank God that we did get some help from my daughter and her boyfriend, my grand daughter and her boyfriend and my step son. If this had gone on longer I would have had a total break down.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

That's a long time to be without power, brrrr. Hope it's restored soon.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 PM

As I write we are without power. But we are so fortunate in light of the tornados that hit our area this morning. We didn't have damage so I have no idea why the power is out but we do have a generator!! It is inconvenient but we can manage. Hope it is a short time though as sometimes we go for a Week or two at a time! I feel your pain but it sounds like you are handling it well. Hang in there!! Can't last too much longer!! We are thinking of you!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Please be careful with the extension cords!! they have been known to cause fires.

I feel for you, when we lose power we are without water as well. We do have a wood cookstove so heat and hot food are still available. If we know a storm is coming we fill up buckets with water and store them.

And yes, I have quilted by candle-light, and I'm glad I don't have to do it regularly!!
You can also fill the bathtub with water to use to flush the toilets when a storm is coming. I know from experience.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 PM

I think my well driller will be here this week......if our manual pump comes in from TX. Have kids in B'ham area and they're ok. Whew!!!!!!

Last edited by Ellen; 01-23-2012 at 11:51 PM.