Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
50th Anniversary Gift Ideas >

50th Anniversary Gift Ideas

50th Anniversary Gift Ideas

Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 PM

Default 50th Anniversary Gift Ideas

A friend is having their 50th Anniversary in May. She is a quilter. I don't want to be responsible for a signature quilt but I'm at a quandary as to what to get them.

What would you like for your anniversary gift????
Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 PM

My guess they really don't want anything other than a card - my parents didn't want anything but to be together with family and friends. My mom loved flowers and she loved going out to eat - so that is what I would give her. If you don't want to do the gift card thing then how about taking over a batch of cookies or nice bouquet of flowers.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:17 PM

How about something to remind them of their journey through live together. Print a paper of all the events world wide and specifically to them. Seen this done by a grand child who had good computer skills.
or a dinner out or theatre visit to take another day.
Or pot plant or garden rose or shrub.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

​I would do a gift certificate to a nice restaurant so they can both enjoy it.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. Find out their favorite restaurant where they can enjoy a night out.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:46 PM

A stroll down memory lane -- There are companies where you can get copies of old newspapers for specific dates, in this case obviously the wedding date, but perhaps also other significant dates such as births of children or the couple themselves.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

My son and daughter in law are renewing their wedding vows in September, and I kept wondering what to make them for a gift. My daughter in law told me what she would like me to make. My son is building them this little tear drop trailer. They have a big camper trailer, but want to go across country. The little trailer will make it easier, and she has picked out fabric to make some curtains for privacy, and so she wants me to make them a smallish comforter. I have the pic of the curtain fabric so I can match a solid fabric to go with them. I will do some whole cloth quilting. I look forward to it.

For a friend you could make some pretty cloth napkins and a nice card. Or some cookies as one suggested and some pretty cloth napkins to go with them or two pretty mug rugs or place mats and cookies for the couple.

Last edited by JuneBillie; 04-27-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:41 AM

Husband and I "observed" our 50th last year. We are not big on celebrations for ourselves. All I wanted was a nice family picture with everyone cooperating with a nice natural smile. Had a neighbor who dabbles in photography take many pictures around our farm & woods. Got some beautiful pictures and everyone cooperated wonderfully. Of course my daughter thought we needed to do something so she sent a little note to relatives, friends, etc. to send a card and that was wonderful. We got many cards over a two week period, so maybe a card shower.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:10 AM

When my parents had their 50th anniversary, I compiled a document that had newsworthy events for every day of the year that they were married. This was fascinating research.

I also asked friends and family to send a card to me that contained a paragraph of a favorite memory with my parents. I put all of those cards in a basket that was sprayed gold with a gold ribbon on the top.

Both gifts were very appreciated.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:26 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I think probably a nice card and restaurant gift certificate will work unless her daughter comes up with a different idea she thinks they would prefer.