Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for parents' 50th anniversary quilt >

Ideas for parents' 50th anniversary quilt

Ideas for parents' 50th anniversary quilt

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 AM

My parents will celebrate 50 yrs. of marriage at the end of January and I would like to make them a special quilt. Do you know of any special anniversary block designs? I'm familiar with wedding rings, but am not sure how hard they are to make. I googled the topic and found a lovers knot block design which I'm not crazy about. Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 AM

what about a log cabin but use the heart layout? I like the double wedding ring, but I'm told it's one of the more difficult quilts. I'll be watching to see what other patterns come up
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM

My sisters and I made Memory Quilts for our parents.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 AM

I've been to a 50th anniversary party where a quilter laid out precut (STARCHED etc) squares and the pens to write on them. She invited everyone to at least sign a square or write a small note.

She went home and turned the signatures squares into a quilt (I think she used a small log cabin around each square).

It was a beautiful quilt when she was done and so personalized for the couple.

If you like this idea but there is no party, I bet you could send out the quilt squares to their friends and family with simple instructions and a return envelope?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 AM

I like that idea. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

you can do bargello in a heart pattern too
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM

I made a quilt for a wedding gift in the pattern called "Wedding Rings". It's a variation of drunkard's path and used the Crazy Curves templates that make circles so easy. Here's a link to it.
http://www.quilt-pictures.com/wedding-rings.html
Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Since it's the 50th do incorporate gold. Either the squares they are signing or the "ink" pen they're using. I know there are actual "Gold Paint" pens out there. I think I've gotten mine at hobby lobby. You have to shake them prior to use. They are permanent and will last - but maybe test a small piece of fabric and wash and dry it with a couple loads of laundry you're already doing first.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM

A quilting buddy of mine asked me the same question a couple of years ago. I asked if her parent's had a quilt made for them when they got married. Quilts were common wedding presents back then. She didn't know, but did some sleuthing. Come to find out, her parent's maternal and dearly beloved Great Grandmother had made them a beautiful quilt as a wedding present, and they had literally loved it to death. Now it was stored, in pretty sorry shape, but intact. It was a double, and her parents now had a King sized bed. My friend stealthily took the quilt, and resized it into a King size while staying true to the pattern, and matched the fabrics as closely as she could, and made the quilt, right down to the hand quilting, which I helped her with, and so did several friends, so it would be done on time.

They had a party. When her parents opened that quilt, they were agape, and the tears flowed freely. They talked about what a strong and positive influence their Great Grandmother had on them, how they treasured her quilt, and kept it on their bed long after it had begun to wear out, removing it only with great reluctance when the grandkids began to come along and speed up the damage to the quilt. And how seeing it again, restored, brought back a flood of memories, and they would cherish this new quilt the rest of their lives.

So, if there's something like that in the family, check it out!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM

when my in laws had their 50th I painted scenes from their life from the stories that had been told at family gatherings and made them into a quilt they loved it I now have it back since they passed on within three months of each other. We always said dad was calling mom up to heaven to get him some coffee as that was something he always did