55+ age communities

Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM

I too would like to go into an over 55 retirement village but sometimes the HOA dues are very high and I would guess they always go up in the future. Something to consider when you buy.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM

You could contact the Chamber of Commerce in the different cities and towns; also email realtors in the areas you are interested and give a price range and see what information they can provide.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

The reason for low income +55, is that depending on your income is how much you pay for rent. I moved to one in south Riverside 6 months ago. They have to check out your yearly income and they do check it with a fine tooth comb. My income is below 25,000 a year so I am paying $816 a month. There are some senior paying half the amount I am but they have zip-o. The units are so tight I have NOT had to even turn on the heat. My utility for electric, the ONLY one I have to pay, is running less than $15.00 a month. STILL trying to squeeze in all my quilting supplies !! The only thing I regret is almost everyone is 20 years or older being that I am 61. The other complaint is how many times a week the fire engine comes siren screeching into the complex. But otherwise, I am in the perfect location with no dogs barking or blearing TVs. Home Sweet Home !! Check with the county since they and the US government are probably subsidizing. With a condo, you STILL have the upkeep that you don't in an apt.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

At 68 and 72, working full time, it is not for us right now.
Learn all you can before you sign up.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 AM

I giggle that "55" is the senior start point! I am hardly a senior in my world. Still working full time and I expect to work for another 10 years! Hubby is too....and he is 9 years older! But I do take advantage of "senior coffee" pricing at "Mickey D's" !

i threaten to move to a "senior community" just to get out of the country life. Their commercials are convincing but I would be the "youngest" I fear.

Sandy
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 AM

I'm with you jbj137. Drove around a couple of retirement places around Phoenix and maybe I could clean their houses. Man, they look beautiful but $$$$$$$. I would love to move back to Texas as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:44 AM

Where I live in Ohio not much available- most stay in their own homes till some big Medical Whammy hits them and they go to Hospital then into Nursing Home... or Assisted Living which are attached to the Nursing Homes.. I see some advertised on TV that are Florida, the Carolina's etc.. and they look way too fancy for me... as for Condo's by the time you pay the monthly amenity fees you could stay at home for less... and what is a Condo ?? its a fancy name for Apartment... you still have your neighbor about 20 ft away... and their condo is hooked to your condo... One lady I know, her son built on to his home a small apt for her with Entry,LR, DR, Kit, Large Bathroom and Bedroom. She can come and go as she pleases and had the security of having her son and family next door..
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 AM

I'm in the same boat too. On disability and I have to move from where I'm at here in Maryland and I want to move back to Penn. It's really hard to find a place there's always a waiting list. I'm 64 and I'm getting really scared that I won't be able to find a place soon. Good luck in your hunting for a place.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 AM

We are looking to downsize and are looking in the Conroe/Willis areas. We would like to move further north to be closer to kids. Good luck, or you could just buy our house
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I did searches and searches, it's difficult to find just an area for Seniors. Not assisted living places. we have an area in the City I live in that is mostly Seniors. but they are houses, not a huge building. My son or DIL weren't much help, even though they live in Conroe. sorry. You might call some REal EState agents too. Good luck!!!