Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
78,000 households in the dark >

78,000 households in the dark

78,000 households in the dark

Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 AM

We have electricity but my 25 year old furnace picked last night to die. I knew it was on its last legs but this is ridiculous. We have a fireplace and one space heater and it's comfortable for now. It's supposed to get below zero tonight.

Funny thing is that my sewing room is always unbelievably HOT because it is in the peak on the South side. I had the windows cracked open during the storm last night. Well today it is the nicest room in the house.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. My plowing guy is stuck in his driveway. Ten foot drifts. I am lucky I only have 4-5 foot drifts but the sun is out now.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM

At 7am we had the 5th worse storm in Chicago according to the news...but, they also said that this would be the 4th by 9am. I can hardly wait until noon... :roll:

Can't see out the living room windows...snow is plastered to them as they face east. The lakefront had 70 mph winds last night, and that is east of us. Will have to wait till hubby is able to push the stormdoor open. I was only able to push it an inch. Snow is problably drifted halfway up.

Our power flickered many times last night, but we were very fortunate that our heat and power stayed on.

No one is on the roads...city and county offices are closed. Officials are telling everyone to stay home... Ohare airport is still open, but they have nothing going out.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM

My son lives in the Rogers Park area. Anyone know what he might have there? He had to work 3rd shift last night--commutes to Wicker Park to work.
I was rather worried about him getting to work last night.

Did Chicagoland get what was predicted? Or was it less?
just curious.

Chris
Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM

CORRECTION...we know have the 3rd largest storm...over 20.9"...

Son just called...he says that his snowblower has bit the dust...it was our old one and we gave it to them when they got the house and we bought new. ;-) Oh, well....

To the quilter whose son is in Rogers Park...he has about the same...although he might be experincing lake effect snow. He probably had a hard time commuting...the "L" is running but not too great. Driving is almost impossible.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Has the National Guard been called out to help with rescues and setting up shelters? I've been following news from your area closely...lived in Kane county many years ago. Praying for safety there.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Yes, the gov. called them out yesterday....they are taking the state police on the roads in the hummers.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Susie, I love hearing the updates of your area and more importantly, when you do update, it tells me you are safe. I hope you stay that way and that there's not much damage for anyone there.

We have rain here now, which is freezing on everything it touches. Our trees are very pretty with the ice buildup on them. Thankfully our rain will end in an hour or two so we shouldn't have much damage in this area.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM

We had freezing rain last night and this morning news reported central Ohio area had 68,000 with out power. We had power, we are in the lull now and I think round 3 of the storm we will get snow (instead of the ice of the last 2 days) last estimate was only a couple of inches. Hppe some of the warm air drifts up to the Chi area
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM

I just talked to my dad in Chicago this morning - sounds like you guys got more than we did! We "only" got 15"! lol!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Stay safe and warm (((HUGS))) Thank you for the updates :D:D:D