Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An 8.5 million dollar dollhouse

An 8.5 million dollar dollhouse

It's amazingly well detailed. Make sure you click on the image gallery. It has 25 pictures.

http://katu.com/news/offbeat/move-ov...ted-85-million
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    ďIf you canít see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesnít exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,Ē .......Greg Biornstad

Thank you for giving us the link. It's beautiful.

that was such fun. It's really beautiful!!
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Thanks - That was amazing!

Many paintings are valued more then this so it's not unreasonable for art. It's stunning! I rather look at this then the Mona Lisa. Seen that in person, wasn't impressed but admire the history of it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    So beautiful! Thanks for thinking of us!

Y'all are most welcome. I love sharing neat things I find with everyone here.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    ďIf you canít see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesnít exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,Ē .......Greg Biornstad

I couldn't get the Library or other picture to enlarge. I kept getting the Castle picture.

Wow! Unreal! I forwarded the link to my daughter-in-law asking if she planned to buy it for her daughter (4 years old)!!

Wow! Can not imagine how long and the patience it took to make the furnishings.

me too, tried several times
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    I couldn't get the Library or other picture to enlarge. I kept getting the Castle picture.

This is so fun! Thanks for sharing.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. Years ago, (late 50's, early 60's) I was thrilled to see a dollhouse at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It had electricity and running water. Doll houses are so much fun to see!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

If they had said it was a dollhouse I would have thought it was a real house. Thank you for sharing.
    Carmen E.

yes, the pictures appear to be real rooms/house. I wish they had a picture of the back of the entire dollhouse so you could get the perspective. I've always loved dollhouses. The Boston Children's museum had a whole room and more of dollhouses that kept me mesmerized for my whole visit there when I was young. Many years later I asked someone if they still had the dollhouses(the museum had moved) and was told yes, they did. I should go seem them again.
    Sally

As others have said, Wow! Now that's a doll house!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have seen this before and although stunning and beautiful, I just could not help to think of all the money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    me too, tried several times
    I had the same problem, but if you look on the top left of the castle picture there are three squares aligned vertically for thumbnails of all the pictures. Click on each to enlarge. I couldn't get a slideshow however. Maybe someone else had luck with that.

It reminds me of the one in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

It's beautiful but there are many other things I would do with 8.5 million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Years ago, (late 50's, early 60's) I was thrilled to see a dollhouse at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It had electricity and running water. Doll houses are so much fun to see!
    We were in Chicago mid November and went to the Chicago Art Museum. They have a whole section of miniature rooms. There are rooms from many states, countries and many historical periods. I spent a lot of time in there, and would like to go back.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I agree....I think it is absurd to spend that much on.....nothing........really....... I wonder who placed the value...???..... I am very practical...to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by matraina View Post
    It's beautiful but there are many other things I would do with 8.5 million dollars.

There are more pictures and much more information on Wikipedia, in case anyone is interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astolat_Dollhouse_Castle I wish I knew more about the woman who created it. The one in Chicago was more of a collection brought together by a Hollywood actress, who could afford to spend her money any way she wanted, and the other famous dollhouse was literally built for a queen, so it's easy to understand where the money came from. Queen Mary was known to visit around the countryside in her quest for unique miniatures, but as far as I know neither she nor Colleen Moore made any of their own minis. The Astolat house is much bigger than either of those, and some of the items in it must have cost a bundle. I'm glad to know it wound up in a museum where many people can enjoy it, and the money collected from visitors helps to justify the dollar value that is placed on it, since a lot of the proceeds are donated to charity.

Found another link with a slideshow: http://creatingdollhouseminiatures.b...ine-diehl.html
    Last edited by Rose_P; 01-09-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Additional information
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Thanks, Rose_P. Those are beautiful pictures, but they don't really convey how small those rooms are. In the Chicago Art Museum, the display case is not much more than two feet high. And what I thought was really cool was that you could see into the next rooms or look out the windows and see the courtyard or garden.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Thanks, Rose_P. Those are beautiful pictures, but they don't really convey how small those rooms are. In the Chicago Art Museum, the display case is not much more than two feet high. And what I thought was really cool was that you could see into the next rooms or look out the windows and see the courtyard or garden.
    The ones at the Art Institute are called the Thorne Rooms, and they are individual room boxes, a collection amassed over many years by Mrs. James Ward Thorne. They are just perfect! Here are some pics: http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections...rk/category/18

Also on display in Chicago is the large Fairy Castle that belonged to Colleen Moore. It can be seen at the Museum of Science and Industry. http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here...s/fairycastle/

I sometimes visit a miniatures forum called "Small Stuff Digest" and it is there that I learned about these magnificent minis. I really should try to see them in person sometime. In about 2002 I bought a rather slummy dollhouse at a garage sale and started renovations. It's not done yet, but I've been tinkering with little things occasionally ever since.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast