Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 90 weight bobbin thread

90 weight bobbin thread

Does anyone know of another 90 weight bobbin thread besides Brother? I had to use this in a Brother embroidery machine and find it works better in my Bernina. Brother is the only brand I can find in this weight.

Here is some Fil-Tec from All brands. http://www.allstitch.net/department/...read-10484.cfm

An Amazon listing for pre-wound bobbins http://www.amazon.com/Prewound-Weigh.../dp/B00M3GTZCS

Kens Sewing has a Janome spool http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/jano...l-p-29726.html

Superior Thread had some on display at the International Quilt Festival in Houston in 2015. I can't find it on their website. You may need to call them.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-03-2016 at 06:17 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Are you looking for pre wounds or spools of thread? Fil-Tec Bobbin-Line thread is 90 weight comes in cones in white & black.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

WOW, never heard of 90 weight thread. Is this just for embroidery machines??? Welcome to the board.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by sally-w View Post
    Does anyone know of another 90 weight bobbin thread besides Brother? I had to use this in a Brother embroidery machine and find it works better in my Bernina. Brother is the only brand I can find in this weight.
    I use the 90 weight Brother bobbin thread in my embroidery machine also. Last time I ordered, I ordered from Ken's Sewing Center.
    http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/brot...d-p-27534.html

Seems to last a long time.

Wonderfil makes a 100 wt thread. I like it for SID instead of monopoly. I don't embroider so I can't comment on that use for it.

Blog Entries
    I watched a Youtube video that included some explanation of the Brother 90 weight embroidery thread. Apparently 90 weight does not always mean the same thing; that is, 90 weight is not necessarily equivalent across all brands of thread. Here is a link to the Youtube video that explains it better than I can:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHN...WY4exet0vFO4MP

What I have gleaned recently is that the Brother 90 weight thread is manufactured in a specific way to work exactly as required in Brother embroidery machines. If it works well in your Bernina, I would stick with this brand of thread. If I am remembering correctly, the Brother thread is manufactured in Japan to very specific specs.

I have some Aurifil cotton 80 wt. It isn't very strong. I wouldn't use it for piecing or machine quilting. It's great for decorative stitches for the bobbin thread.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I watched a Youtube video that included some explanation of the Brother 90 weight embroidery thread. Apparently 90 weight does not always mean the same thing; that is, 90 weight is not necessarily equivalent across all brands of thread. Here is a link to the Youtube video that explains it better than I can:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHN...WY4exet0vFO4MP

What I have gleaned recently is that the Brother 90 weight thread is manufactured in a specific way to work exactly as required in Brother embroidery machines. If it works well in your Bernina, I would stick with this brand of thread. If I am remembering correctly, the Brother thread is manufactured in Japan to very specific specs.
    This makes a lot of sense. I have tried other brands of bobbin threads (good brands) but all failed miserably in the Brother. Therefore, I buy multi packs of the Brother 90 wt bobbin thread. I was just wasting money trying other brands for my purpose.

I have trouble with the 90 wt. Brother thread in my PE770. It makes a mess of the design I'm trying to do. When I switch to a different wt. I don't have any trouble.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    I have trouble with the 90 wt. Brother thread in my PE770. It makes a mess of the design I'm trying to do. When I switch to a different wt. I don't have any trouble.
    I just stayed with the size and brand that came with my machine. It works for me.

Thanks for the info. I'll try the Fil Tech. My Bernina has extra large bobbins so I can't use pre-wound.

I use it only for embroidery but don't know if it is used for other sewing.

I might try this Aurifil to see how it works in the Bernina.

This is the exact opposite of what I found when I had the Brother 770. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sally-w View Post
    I use it only for embroidery but don't know if it is used for other sewing.
    I just used a partial bobbin of the 90 weight Brother bobbin thread for regular sewing. Worked fine.