Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different Weight Bobbin Thread? >

Different Weight Bobbin Thread?

Different Weight Bobbin Thread?

Old 10-12-2018, 06:19 PM

Default Different Weight Bobbin Thread?

Hi - I just discovered that most people (supposedly) use a different weight thread in their bobbin thread than they do for the top thread. I have never done this or heard of it. I use Aurifil 50wt in my top thread on my sewing machine and just wind bobbins off of that. My question is what do you all use? If you use a different weight bobbin thread, where do you get it? One lady mentioned a company with three initials that started with a "B", but I can't remember or find it. I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you!
LaDonna
Old 10-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

It depends on whether you are talking about piecing, quilting, or embroidery. For piecing and quilting, I like to use the same thread top and bobbin. Some people like to use a finer thread in the bobbin when quilting. For embroidery, you generally want to use a very lightweight thread in the bobbin to avoid too much thread buildup. What I have on hand for that is actually called bobbin thread and is quite fine. Mine is polyester (which is generally stronger than cotton in the same weight).
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Gay

As Prism99 says, it depends on the type of sewing. I like to use mostly polyester top and bottom, as it reduces the fluff that gathers around the needle and in the bobbin areas. When using a thicker cotton on top, I find with piecing, if the darker fabric is on the bottom, the seam allowance will fold better to the dark side with not so much bulk. I do like the pre-wound bobbins, but find when half used, the top thread will not pick up the bobbin thread after using the auto. cutting button. I think this is because they are wound so tight the thread shrinks back a little, so I re-wind the last half on my bobbin winder - it works. Except for the embroidery machine, I do use normal cotton thread for many things, it's just a matter of testing on scraps to see the difference, to see what you like.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Much is a matter of personal preference. For piecing, I like Aurifil 50 top and bobbin. I tried using a polyester thread, but poly is more slippery than cotton. When chain piecing, I found that cutting between pieces often ended up with me losing a stitch or two unless I left quite a long space between pieces. This is because polyester thread is more likely to slide out of that last unsecured stitch. This was even more pronounced when I tried poly in both top and bobbin for piecing.

However, for quilting, I use only polyester thread top and bobbin for several reasons. One is that it cuts way down on the lint in the bobbin area. Another is that I like to quilt closely, and polyester thread -- even when densely quilted -- does not stiffen up a quilt the way cotton thread does. My new fave for quilting is Superior's Bottom Line polyester. Because it is fine, my quilting mistakes show up less.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:38 PM

When I piece I use Superior Thread's 50 wt SoFine in the top and Superior 60 wt Bottomline in the bobbin. Both are polyester threads and I prefer the polyester because of the lint build up from cotton as previously mentioned. I find this combination for me results in a more accurate scant 1/4" seam. The other bonus is that the finer 60 wt thread loads more thread onto the bobbin, so fewer bobbin changes, both in piecing and in quilting. In quilting there is less. Thread build up on the back and as Prism99 mentioned, less than perfect stitching blends in. However, I prefer to match my top and bobbin thread colours when quilting, so if I don't have a matching 60 wt thread on hand, I'll use the exact same thread top and bobbin, and I mostly quilt with Glide 40 wt on top. Again, it all comes down to personal preference for the look you're going for on your quilt, what's available to you and budget, as they are not all priced the same more readily available depending where you live and or shop.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:49 PM

I bought a new sewing machine a couple of years ago - and it came with 60 bobbins of polyester thread in a wide selection of colours. I know it’s not the best quality but it’s there and I’m using it!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:08 AM
Power Poster

I usually use the same top & bottom when Piecing, wind bobbins from the spool I’m using on top- but sometimes I am just using up bobbins. I don’t worry about things like that. If I want to get a lot of thread on my bobbin I use Superior Threads ( Bottomline) thread. If I am using silk thread or invisible thread ( the two I use most often to machine stitch appliqué) I use Bottomline or a 50-60 weight thread in my bobbin.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 AM

If for no other reason, I like to use 50 wt on the bobbin because I don't have to change the bobbin as often with it. My machine doesn't care if the top and bottom thread are mismatched, so no problem if I want to use a 40 weight on top for quilting. However, so far I haven't particularly felt like my quilting needed to be "showcased". More like concealed as much as possible, lol.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

It is a personal preference. Aurifil 50wt is a 2 ply thread so it is a pretty fine thread to begin with. If you are happy with your results, by all means stick with the same thread in top and bobbin. My personal preference for piecing is Aurifil 50 wt on the top and Superior bottom line which is a 60 wt 3 ply poly in the bobbin. The main reason I use this mix is economical as the bottom line is less expensive than the aurifil. Additionally I only piece with two colors of thread. I use a beige/gray, kind of putty color for lights and a dark gray for darks. I do not switch thread colors to match fabrics or piecing.

I am also happy with the precision of my piecing with this combo. The reduced lint build up in my bobbin area is an added bonus but I find I get plenty of lint from the fabric. Especially if I am working with flannel.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:14 AM

I use vintage machines and I use good old Dual Duty just fine, top and bottom for my piecing.

For my friend's long arm, we've been happy with the Superior pre-wound bobbins which are a much lighter weight. Also really like the King Tut thread on top.

My friend is giving me her Bernina (I still haven't booked the flight yet, should meet up with her in November) and says it is rather fussy about what thread it uses. She's told me but I still haven't committed it to memory yet.